NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Active but has no interest in food

Fairli Poh

My grey's name is Basil. I've been keeping him for about a year now.. The last 3 months, his appetite have been really bad. Previously, he was a very greedy bird. Then once he fell sick ( don't know what sickness. Just lethargic and not eating) the doctor gave him 8 jabs of some liver medicine. Now, his appetite is still not improving. I tried giving him parrot favourite foods such as corn on cob but he's scared of anything bigger then a walnut so he didn't touch it. He also throws away his sunflower seeds when I try to use them to train him. Anyone can offer me some advice on whats wrong? I'm very very worried:(

I don't know, but I would bring him back to the vet. Not eating and weight loss is the first sign of something wrong, so just because the vet gave him something doesn't mean it's cured whats ailing him. It's time to have a second look.

On a side note, my grey Ru is a very picky eater. The two ways I've found to get her to eat healthy fruits and veggies is, one, I got her one of those hanging stainless steel rods that you can put veggies on. It's a game for her to tear them all off, and in the process she finds things that she likes and will begrudgingly eat them. The other thing is organic baby food, sure she is spoiled getting hand fed at 16 years old, but at least I know she's getting the proper nutrition.

I hope this helps. Good luck

Yes, you need totally our bird back to the vet for a complete check up and bloodwork. We are not vets here and can not advise you in that manner.

Maybe you could share a bit more history about your bird with us as well.

Edited by Talon

:) Hi, Maggie here...Since your baby isn't eating, eliminate all fruit. Feed your baby some dry pasta, you can give a teaspoon of low sodium organic peanut butter, some cooked sweet potato's, cooked beans and cooked brown rice or wild rice.

Fruit is sugar and water and has no nutritional food value, it causes runny poop. If you feed baby food, get the food with the lowest Iron, salt and sugar. Please try natural foods before baby foods.You can also give your baby a tablespoon of yogurt, plain, to help restore bacteria lost from the medicine he received. make sure you keep him warm and out of drafts..Make sure you get back to a vet..?How much does he weigh? Whats his poop look like?

• 3 weeks later...