NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hi Everyone, I'm new!

Hello, I purchased an African Grey Baby from a breeder a few months ago and he is such an amazing character and very entertaining! We decided to name him Prince after several debates.

He is fed a mixture of Harrisons High Potency Course Pellets, Animal Zone Pellets, a sprouting mix, fresh and steamed vegetables, homemade parrot mash and some seeds as treats once a week. He is also fed fruit every couple of days.

He has a Montana New Jersey cage which is filled with toys and different perches at varying heights such as natural perches, sisal ropes and a concrete nail trimming perch.

He is out of the cage playing a lot too.

Recently we have noticed some of his poops were watery, like two or three poops a day were quite watery and the rest were normal. And today he did a poop which had something green in it and was very smelly. The animal zone pellets are different colours so this could be the cause of the colour green, but his poop smelt eggy. He has done a couple of poops after that and they were normal. Is this any cause for concern, should I take him the the vets?

Thank you very much!

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your reply!

So can there faeces sometimes smell, is that normal?

yes it is normal ! I am not going to spam you but there are many folk out in Parrot world who can and will give advice re your birds , I swear by "Chet Womack" I will not put up a link unless asked as I do not have it on my laptop its on my PC

Hi there,

Thank you very much for your reply!

So can there faeces sometimes smell, is that normal?

It happens occasionally.

It may be a certain combination of bird food or some human food added to bird food. It may be certain types of fruits. It may come from certain ingredients of stale parrot food. It may come from undigested food . Basically, there's many reasons why it can happen but the important thing here is whether the feces stays smelly day after day after day. Then a trip to the vet is necessary so that the digestive system can be checked. If that should happen, take a small sample of your bird's fecal mattar, put it in a jar and he'll check it.

Hi parrotperson and Prince: Welcome to the grey forum.

Sounds like you are off to a good start with Prince.

Members and mods like Dave will be here to help when ever you have a question.

We love to share pictures and storys so jump in to the action and have a good time.