NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

History of African Grey?

Ronda477

I tried to look up the history of the AG's and couldn't really find what I was looking for. My husband and I wanted to know what purpose they served in the wild. How their speaking abilities helped/hurt them? What are their predators? Stuff like that. Can anyone fill us in or know where a site is that we can look at? Just trying to learn all we can about our little sugar that we still don't have yet :( Few more weeks!!

""""" I wanted to know what purpose they served in the wild."""""""""

They sh**t on the ground so their droppings could act like fertilizer and grow weeds.

"""""How their speaking abilities helped/hurt them?"""

Have no idea. I never climbed up and got into a conversation with any of them. I don't think they would have shared their secrets though. They were too high in the trees so I wouldn't climb up cause I'm afraid of heights.

"""""What are their predators? """"

Hawks, peregrines, falcons, owls, eagles and any other bird that's hanging out and is carniverous.<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/29 22:31

MrSpock - I can't believe you forgot Lions, Tigers, Leopards, Snakes and HUMANS as predictors too!! ;-)

They also help debark trees....

They fly in Great Flocks and eat the Corn Fields Farmers spent time and hard work cultivating...but, they don't fly away like Crow's...They have Weapons ;-) and can mimic a Lion Growl which sends the poor Farmer running...

Other than that, pretty fair answer for a never been to Africa Dude....

austin.gif

austin.gif

Hey Dan, Come on,I had to leave a few for you to talk about. After all, didn't you say that all of us should contribute? Well, that goes for you too and don't try to weasle out of your tasks. Got that???

Ok

So, ya wanna know some more specifics??

Well, this is the scenario..the greys are in the trees yapping and in the morning they sh**t on the ground to grow dense tall weeds which eventually happens. Actually,various parrots all do it together in order to have a variety of weeds. In the parrot world this is commonly known as a communal dump.

Then, in the afternoon, They'r very quiet.They sh**t harder pellets. What they're doing is fine tuning their aim so that they can eventually hit all the mice on their heads which will obviously daze them. It's called the element of surprise. Then the mice who've just eaten some insects and tiny frogs will scatter and run into those new tall weeds where the snakes are salivating and are waiting eagerly. The snakes eat those wonderful mice, relax for a while and eventually sh**t out a big turd. It lays there and hardens and eventually the dung beetles come around and roll it over to an area where they've been buiding a nest. After the dung beetles are finished, they then find an ant hill and feast on the delicious ants, especially the queen. Whatever ants are left, leave that area and take a long trip and look for special leaves and also tarantulas which they kill and carry back to their nest. Then, a new queen is established because she's the only one that can eat the poisonous tarantula without getting sick. The males then have their way with the queen over and over and over and over and she eventually pops out small eggs which contain maggots. The ants leave the nest exposed and soon, the honey bees fly in for a maggot brunch. Then the bees go back to their hives and create delicious nectar which is eventually purchased by human beings so that they can pour it on pancakes and waffles. So, greys do serve a purpose. Just remember how many creatures were involved in the making of that honey, how it was created and you'll have a greater respect for the original creator of your yummy honey. Let us all thank the AFRICAN GREY PARROT

Dave

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/30 00:43

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/30 00:56<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/30 02:57

WoW MrSpock - You have really done a Sh*t load of research on this. It sheds a whole new light on symbiotic releationsh*ts ;-) and to think it all started with a Grey. :-)

I think you and I are getting VERY bored tonight....This one really made my Head hurt.....

explodehead.gif<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/09/30 02:33

explodehead.gif

As Mr Spock indicates, the greys play a part in the food chain. One of the biggest roles many birds play is to propagate plants. They accomplish this by being what we see as "messy" and "wasteful" in their eating habits as they throw and fling around at least half the food they eat...Plus they sure do "sh#t" a lot! In the wild these actions spread the seeds/pollen of the plants they are eating. Not only does this help ensure they have a continuous food supply, but it of course ensures the plants, seeds, fruits etc they eat continue to thrive for other animals and insects that depend on them as well.

judygram wrote:

Dan, that is a little too graphic for my tastes, why did you change it?:sick:

I didn't change the graphic Judy, maybe your connection was a little to slow the first time to see the entire head clip?

I did edit the last sentence where I had "my" 2x to "makes my". :-)

Joe - Thanks for lighting a fire under me to find "something" out there on this topic. It is the least I can do for the originator of this question "rhonda477"...

What I could find:

http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/africangrey1201.htm

http://members.authorsguild.net/goodbird/work13.htm

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Transwiki:African_Grey_Parrot

http://www.companionparrot.com/Talking%20and%20Intelligence.htm

http://www.naturescornermagazine.com/NaturesBlog/archives/2005/10/african_grey_pa.html

I hope these links provide some insight. The African Grey has not really been studied in-depth in the Wild for extended years to have all the information, that I am sure we would all pay $$$ for a book covering the earliest history to it's life in the wild today.

danmcq wrote:

I didn't change the graphic Judy, maybe your connection was a little to slow the first time to see the entire head clip?

That was probably it, for I don't remember seeing it when I first replied, my computer sucks.:(

Thanks for all the great research you did for us.:)

Thank you thank you thank you! I learned sooo much! But now I'm scared! lol I read that you really need to be home with them. My husband and I both work. The plus side to this is we work the same schedule week after week, it doesn't change. The only thing is I might have a longer weekend once in awhile cause I tend to work 4-10's but right now we are in overtime and working Friday's as well. It said that there is a min of at least 3 hours out of cage and 45 min approx of physical time spent. This is not a problem what so ever. I have the whole evening to be with my sugar. But just worried. I'm hoping cause she is soo young she will adapt to our schedule. The good thing that I learned was that the breeder is doing a very good job of weening her. I guess most breeders ship thier babies off at 12 old, Sugar/Heart will be 21 weeks old. So it's good that she's taking her time. And as for the cage it says a 36 x 24 at the min approx for a bird who will be spending most of the day in it. Ours that we have ordered is 32 x23. The breeder said this would be fine. But what do you guys think. Well actually I know what you'll say, on that one lol. Buy the biggest one you can afford. Well right now that is. But in a few months I can get a bigger one. Anyway I want to thank you for one being a card lol and the other for doing soo much research and helping me! If anyone can answer these other questions or actually worries great!

Rhonda,

You stated:

"It said that there is a min of at least 3 hours out of cage and 45 min approx of physical time spent. This is not a problem what so ever. I have the whole evening to be with my sugar. "

[li]That's plenty of time to spend with your grey. No problems there and as you said some weekends are long ones, so you will have more than enough time with your Grey to keep him happy.[/li]

You stated:

"And as for the cage it says a 36 x 24 at the min approx for a bird who will be spending most of the day in it. Ours that we have ordered is 32 x23. The breeder said this would be fine."

[li]Your Breeder is correct. The Cage you have ordered will be fine. It is large enough for him to fully extend his wings.[/li]

Yes, I get "Funny" when bored with no mission is on my agenda :-) I'm glad you took my trip out to the twilight zone so well!!:woohoo:<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2007/09/30 17:29

Thank you again Dan, my stomach has been in knots since I read all of that cause I was worried we wouldn't be here enough and on top of it we ordered to small of a cage to start. I feel soo much better thank you! And love to take trips to the twilight zone, I sometimes do that often myself lol. Glad to have some ppl to go with lol.

Ronda,

We all felt the same as you when we jumped off the cliff into grey ownership. WE all read and read, fretted over if we could live upto the requirements we read about it.

I think it's the owners of Grey's that just bought one on impulse thinking it would be Cool and fun like a Puppy, that run into trouble and end up handing them over to rescues as "Monsters from Hell".

They are the ones that created the Greys temperament toward THEMSELVES and thankfully there are loving rescuers that nurture and show the Grey what a responsible and lovable owner truly is.

They then become loving companions and best friends for the rest of the lives in most cases.

You have nothing to worry about, from what you have posted regarding your fretting :-)