NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Dogs and Birds

edillon5063

Wasnt sure where to post this.... I just added a canine member to my flock, and I'm very nervous on how this will affect my birds, especially my African Grey, indy, who is used to being out a lot. The dog I adopted is a very small mixed breed (18 pounds) and though very curious, she is extremely docile, as she is 9 years old. She was about to be euthanized at a high kill shelter in my area, and I couldn't leave her.

My question is, those of you who have both birds and dogs, how do you make it work? My husband doesn't want to let the birds out without a door between them and the new dog,, but I'm trying to find a way to make it fair ( and safe!) for all parties involved.

Thanks so much!!!

I have a heavyweight pug, Lily, who is 11 years old. When I first got my first grey, Ana Grey, at 4 months old, I introduced them and told Lily to leave Ana Grey alone. I sat with them both on the couch and let them know that they were both loved. Lily could care less about my three parrots, who are all flighted. None of my parrots go near her and she will leave a room if the parrots are very active. Each dog/parrot is different and you can only closely watch and supervise your companions to see how they get alone. Lily never goes in the bird room, her choice as the door is always open. Now when my daughter's, Labrador/Beagle is over, the parrots are closed in their bird room as Scout is very energetic and well quite frankly, a bird dog!

oh gosh i too have dogs and was VERYYYYYYY nervous bringing marco home. i started with bringing her cage home and let the dogs get used to it being in the house 2 months before I ever brought her home. I have a "bird dog" 100+ pound golden retriever bout 3yrs old and then 2 yippy dogs min pin 1.8 pounds and a yorkie 2.5 pounds

the "initial" bringing her home there was the sniff time and some interest into the newness of her. never any aggression just ALOT of the sniffing and the OMG what was that noise when shed squwak. she didnt appreciate the retriever sniffing her and had no fear to uhm tell him so .... she bit him and it frankly didnt hurt him nor detour his sniffing lol.

NOW they think she is the greatest thing since sliced bread cuz she flings food everywhere for them LMAO :rolleyes: I wouldnt ever leave her out with them out as well if we are NOT home but ... home i have no worries as long as Im there. they dont even move if shes doing anything now.

• 2 weeks later...