NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

first molt

snoepgoed123

Archimedes is turning into a big boy! He has just started his first molt, and he's hating it! For the past couple of days he's been a bit irritable to put it nicely... I know he's itching like crazy and I've started spraying him with aloe vera. Just wondering how long the molt will take? (he's almost 8 months old, turning 8 months on 7/10/12)

Toby is about the same age (8 1/2 months old) and also started molting recently...our place is covered with white fluffy down. Just yesterday we saw his first molted gray feather. Everything I've read up to this point suggests that it might take upwards of a year to fully complete the molting process.

The first molt is always the largest. Birds are instinctively programmed to deal with molts and proper feather care. In other owrds the are the masters and we are the fretting Parronts. :)

Bathing everyday is not a good idea and will remove the all important feather protective coatings and dry out the skin if you are truly getting him soaked to the bone. Bathe 2 to 3 times week and always make sure you soak him with 100 percent Aloe juice by mistng thoroughly from a spray bottle after the water bath.

A general body molt will last several weeks but the tail and wing feathers will molt out at different times during the year, usually the same ones on both sides so the bird is capable of flight. When those pin feathers come in they can be irritating hence they can be grumpy during molts so bathing is even more important and misting with aloe vera juice can be soothing to their skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, I thought they had their first molt at around one year old. Jasper just turned 7 months, if they start around 8 months..I might be having a major life transition at the end of the month and moving from WI to VA since I can't seem to find work here. Molting and a major life change at the same time for him. Poor guy.

Toby is about the same age (8 1/2 months old) and also started molting recently...our place is covered with white fluffy down. Just yesterday we saw his first molted gray feather. Everything I've read up to this point suggests that it might take upwards of a year to fully complete the molting process.

Jasper has been losing the fluffy down stuff nearly since he came home but I notice it's everywhere in this room now and has been floating around for some time. Is this something that preceeds the molt? I have a green cheek conure and he's going through his molt right now too but being smaller I never noticed do they always have this fluff? I've heard about dust from greys (can't tell over litter boxes) but no one ever mentioned the marble sized fluffs blowing everywhere. Will it always be snowing these large snowflakes in my house or is this just a "first time baby molt" thing?