NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another kind of emergency

kittykittykitty

I have thought about this a lot, but do not have a satisfactory answer. What do you do to keep your birds warm when the electricity goes out from a storm or whatever in an all electric house? No way to heat water for hot water bottles, no electricity for heaters or heat lamps, house is heated with heat pump. Are blankets around the cage enough? What about air circulation?

That just depends on how cold it gets inside. If it can stay above 58 inside then I would cover the back and sides of the cage with a quilt. If it was 50 to 58 I used hot water bottles in the bottom of the cage and covered the cage with a quilt almost all the way. I bought an inverter for the power port (cigarette lighter) in my car and can plug one of those quick heat tea pots in to heat water. I keep several 2L empty soda bottles handy to hold the hot water. I cover the whole thing with a sheet that has been cut down. I don't have a fireplace or wood stove but I do have a kerosene heater and a battery only CO detector to use as a very last resort but again that is only as a very last resort.

We have a woodstove and 2 fireplaces so they would be utilized to stay warm in the event of a power outage, I think it is important for everyone to have some kind of backup for just such situations for it seems to happen more and more especially for us who live in the country. It wouldn't have to be a woodstove but some kind of heater that runs on something other than electricity.

Greys are living outside year round in some very cold climates as they are outdoors all the time they have had time to adapt. When in a power failure keeping your birds cool in summer or warm in winter can be creative. Sprinklers or misting in summer to help cool and putting ice cubes in their water bowls. Winter cover the top and 3 sides of the cage with a heavy natural fabric quilt or blanket-no nylon or other plastic based fabrics in case they chew, should help to hold their own heat inside the cage. As long as your home remains above freezing they should do fine. You can also feed a warm mash make certain your bird remains hydrated and if the temps fall below freezing make certain your bird has some very wide perches so he or she can fluff up and cover their feet to prevent frostbite. Greys seem to handle the winter temperatures very well as long as they have shelter from the wind and wet. Do check any space heaters for teflon type products you do not want to use them if they do contain it.

Thank you all. I have a cotton cover for the cage. She may need a blanket, though. I think you all say leave one side/end open. I think the converter for the cig. lighter is a good option. There is a wood pellet stove in the fire place, but it has a problem, something I don't understand, and my daughter says it can't be used. Pop bottles make good substitute water bottles. I do mist Precious extra in the summer when I am there. I know teflon is toxic, so no non stick cook ware either. Again, you have come to the rescue.