NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

to shoulder or not to shoulder...

Guest Metona

THANK YOU Mickeys mom! I'm sticking to my guns about birds being on the shoulder. I have gotten alot of grief, "I know nothing!". What I DO know... is, I can have a bird on my shoulder, and they have earned that position. None of my birds get on my shoulder, until they have earned that position. All my birds can now sit on my shoulder, but we went thru alot, to get here. Nancy

Ok, I have read everyones opinion on this and each person views it in their own perspective and what they describe their "methodologies" as such training, parenting, parronting, teaching, disciplining, behavior modification... and on and on. :)

The bottom line is everyone gives their birds some type of physical or verbal feedback, to indicate whether the birds actions are acceptable or not. Everyone has their own level of tolerance of light to firm nibbles on the ear, grabbing glasses, biting buttons and punching holes in shirts etc. Everyone decides if they wish to allow shouldering or not based upon their opinion of whether any behavior is acceptable or not. We each have different levels of behavior allowed.

So, I will add what I call "Dan's" methodology. Our birds are allowed on our shoulders. As they first started getting on the shoulder, they received feedback on their action based on what we thought either needed positive or negative feedback. Too hard of a nibble and they were talked to or removed. A light nibble got them a "thats better". A bite got them immediately shoosed off and they remained off for a while. Light loving nibbles are allowed. I don't wear button shirts unless I want some buttons cracked in half or missing. I wear T Shirts that I don't mind an occasional hole punched in. No earrings, necklaces etc. unless you or your wife wish them to be removed or chewed on.

Now, Dan's interpretation of a shoulder birds actions:

1. Pull ear to the left, I turn left.

2. Push in to the right, I turn right.

3. Pull my glasses frame back, I stop.

4. Push my glasses frame forward, I go.

5. Wing slapping me on the side, I go faster.

So call these methodologies what you wish. It all boils down to cause and effect, negative or positive, the bird or you lives or dies. :P

Edited by danmcq