NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Difference between parrots and dogs.

Mistyparrot

Having just cleaned myself off after sharing a tasty banana with Misty I got to thinking about why it is that generally when dogs eat they leave very little behind but when parrots eat they seem to leave a significant part of their meal everywhere but inside them. As a rule most animals regard food to be precious, a resource that some preserve and most eat all that they can until hunger is satisfied but Parrots seem to be prone to distributing their meals far and wide as they continue to dine. Many birds distribute seeds in their faeces but I have never noticed that in Misty's when he has had seeds in his food. Is flinging food a parrots contribution to maintaining the forrest? Or are they just plain messy little tykes?:confused:

It might also be interesting to discus other comparisons between parrots and dogs.

I bet most dog keepers are very relieved that dogs can't fly!:D

Steve n Misty

Lol Steve! Also very relieved dogs don't talk! I work outdoors, and a lot of squashed fingers, cut arms, banged knees, stepped on toes, etc... go with the territory. So the occasional cuss word is spewed freely. So glad I don't have to monitor myself when outside! Biscotti has made me more aware of what comes out of my mouth, the dogs just don't care & look at you lovingly & wag their tails & you don't have to worry about them repeating bad words. :)

Having just cleaned myself off after sharing a tasty banana with Misty I got to thinking about why it is that generally when dogs eat they leave very little behind but when parrots eat they seem to leave a significant part of their meal everywhere but inside them. As a rule most animals regard food to be precious, a resource that some preserve and most eat all that they can until hunger is satisfied but Parrots seem to be prone to distributing their meals far and wide as they continue to dine. Many birds distribute seeds in their faeces but I have never noticed that in Misty's when he has had seeds in his food. Is flinging food a parrots contribution to maintaining the forrest? Or are they just plain messy little tykes?:confused:

It might also be interesting to discus other comparisons between parrots and dogs.

I bet most dog keepers are very relieved that dogs can't fly!:D

Steve n Misty

Apples and oranges. Domestics like dogs and cats have a full set of teeth going to the back of the mouth like people. All those teeth have the ability to thoroughly chew food before swallowing. Birds don't have that. They have a beak which cracks the food and a tongue which dislodges the food so it can be swalled.When they do this, much of the food slips out of the mouth and drops down. They may carry food around but as the time arrives to eat it, the exact process kicks in again. Parrots don't regard food as precious. They're simply eating what nature tells them to eat, when to do it. It's much easier to make a domestic gain weight then a parrot. For a parrot If any basic food isn't around, they start eating other items such as bugs, slugs, worms and other items. They do this because they're wild animals basically scavengers. Domestics don't. If domestics spot food that they don't like in their dish, they push it aside or don't even bother touching it. A parrot picks it up and flips it. That happens with pellets and other foods. Hence, the mess and flinging/dropping. Parrots don't intentionally drop food in their feces. An enclosed cage causes that to happen as opposed to wide open spaces. Other wild animals benefit by eating the seeds in feces because there's protein in it.

Parrots can eat all day long or not at all. Domestics need to be fed because the owner sets up a feeding schedule. Other people leave the dog food around all day long. Hence possible weight gain.

Basically, they're not messy at all except to the owner. Remember, there's no comparison between domestic dogs/cats and wild creatures such as the parrot/parrots you have in the house. That parrot you have will always be wild.

And that flinging of food in the wild probably provides food for other species of bugs and animals as it distributes it out over a wider area so it is found and eaten by other life forms but it can be a nuisance to us with caged birds for we have to clean up the mess they leave behind.

I once read or was told that parrots will pull off the first piece and fling or drop it for the same reasons like we would wash and trim an apple, to remove any outer matter that might be dirty or past its prime. I used to watch the zon do this with all his fresh food. The end was always ripped off and discarded before he would take a bite.

...... Remember, there's no comparison between domestic dogs/cats and wild creatures such as the parrot/parrots you have in the house. That parrot you have will always be wild.

Yes I understand that. I am happy that Misty is not domesticated in the way that dogs and cats are. I am more than happy to put up with his wild Grey ways for the honour and pleasure of having his friendship and I hope his respect.

Steve n Misty

As far as I am concerned there is no comparison between them.

I am not quite sure what that means Kitty. They are very different creatures but they are both capable of empathising with each other and with humans who are very different from both. I find that really remarkable and wonderful. :)

Steve n Misty

I believe kittykittykitty was responding about the picture! ( my understanding anyway!) I am proud and lucky, that all our birds get along with the dogs. The dogs had a wise teacher when they were pups. Sophie rules the dogs too, but she is kind to them and always shares her peanuts. She expects them in kind, to share their chicken in the morning. They do, but they should be able to enjoy their breakfast without a bird in their face, nor it is safe. Sophie gets a piece of chicken sitting on the gate. ( her favorite spot!) I can go off to work now, with cage doors open, and know dogs and birds will be just fine. ( don't underestimate the work it took!) Nancy

Now thats a picture! Even Oliver has more feathers than that one, lol. Maybe we need to think about changing his nick name from our "nudist" to "Harry"!

As far as our dogs verses our birds, our birds dominate! The dogs are scared of them except our smallest chihuahua, who thinks she is a mastif. She will run from stand to stand to catch some of that flying food! The fun starts when Stewart makes her beg on her hind legs before he will drop it to her or when he knows she isn't looking and drops it on her head! Hmmm, my bird has trained my dog. Lol

• Haha 1

You are correct. Birds and dogs make wonderful companions. Both can surprise and astound us. I wouldn't give up my experiences with both species for anything. Thinking back at how the bull dogs could tease and then laugh as if saying, The joke's on you, I may need to take what I said back. Sammy (Sami), the grey we paorrt sat, was an unbelievable tease, especially with said bull dogs. This is about these two species but add cats, horses, even reptiles to the mix. I still don't know how my cat, Mao, could talk to me in my brain. I see them teaching each other all kinds of things, like opening cupboards and they talk to each other through a closed glass door. I have seen them, birds, dogs, cats, mourn for their own and for humans. Maybe all creatures, great and small, are more alike than different. Please accept my apolgies. I was wrong.

I believe kittykittykitty was responding about the picture! ( my understanding anyway!) I am proud and lucky, that all our birds get along with the dogs. The dogs had a wise teacher when they were pups. Sophie rules the dogs too, but she is kind to them and always shares her peanuts. She expects them in kind, to share their chicken in the morning. They do, but they should be able to enjoy their breakfast without a bird in their face, nor it is safe. Sophie gets a piece of chicken sitting on the gate. ( her favorite spot!) I can go off to work now, with cage doors open, and know dogs and birds will be just fine. ( don't underestimate the work it took!) Nancy

Let me get this straight Nancy, you leave the house with the bird's cage doors open and the dogs in the same room, or are you saying you go about your work at home? Please clarify this for us for if you are leaving the house with this situation then you are playing with fire and the day will come that you will come home and find one of your precious birds dead and/or mutilated, this is just plain irresponsible on your part.

judygram... Let me clarify! I have " open cage" belief. I had no interest in adopting birds in the beginning, but they were interested in adopting us. I didn't believe, or support us being a suitable family, since I didn't believe our family would be a good fit. Everyone knew, I would NEVER close a cage, since I don't believe or support it. I was talked into it. I learned quickly, what being a parent meant. I created a bird room for the birds. Dogs were introduced to the birds, they loved each other.

The birds, have their own room. No curtains,blinds, or electrical access. When I go to work, the door is closed. They have no access to anything, other than the bird room. All electrical access is plugged. My birds are not allowed to fly where ever they want! Dogs have no access to the birds until I am home. So... when I say I go to work... the birds are safe. Nancy

Sorry guys, I didn't give more detail. I hope new parents pay attention, especially. When we first got our first bird, it was a rescue, and had adopted my son at daycare, He was nine.He was out of forever homes, and would fly out and attack people's jugular. He LOVED Ryan, from the moment they met. I had no choice, but to take this bird home. He had found his " soulmate! I told kids, we could adopt him, but I don't believe in cages or zoo's, so we would have to figure it out. Eventually, Kiki, our Amazon came home, as a baby, Then Sophie our grey, adopted at age two. Yes... we continued to follow "open cage"... meaning, they have gyms in front of their cages, room they can fly.We practice flying in the family room. They all fly great, but Kiki our Amazon, is superior. Sophie, our grey, doesn't care.

When I go to work, door is closed, so they can't fly everywhere. All electrical outlets are blocked, dogs are in another room ( even though they love each other!) No matter how much birds and dogs love each other, they are never to be trusted.I hope I have explained our family " dynamics" a little clearer. Nancy

I like your open cage philosophy Nancy. I would do the same If I could but I don't have a spare room to dedicate as a Misty safe room. So Misty is in his cage only if I have to leave him to go out or to sleep. Otherwise he is out all the time. I was also a little worried at first when I read your previous post but I did not believe you would leave your parrots and dogs alone together. I love the story of your first adoption. Did you have any idea how smart parrots are at that time?

Steve n Misty