NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question

aw64

Hi I'm new on here, my Alfie (African grey) is 13 weeks old his doing fine and started flying this week, my question is after being out of the cage alot during today and this evening when I put him back he spent his time crying, thats the only word I can think of to describe it and going to the bottom of the cage scratching as if trying to dig his way out, do I ignore this behaviour? I did open the door again in the end and he has now had his night feed and is settled, this behaviour also happened yesterday but during the afternoon but I had to go out so not sure how long it went on for, is he being a normal baby and should be given the attention or should I ignore it as there are times he has to be in the cage? any help would be good thanks.

Hi, don't worry, be happy... You baby is just making sounds, practicing his future speech. You baby is "Cleaning house" Greys in the wild clean out their nest, some put their head down in the corner and dig like wild...lol Most greys stop when they get older, it's cute.....Maggie

I have a different belief then most. It has worked for me. If they cry, be there and support them.

Bedtime, continues to be bedtime, but when they freak out, be there, reinforce bedtime, tell baby, you will be there if needed. I don't treat my birds like a flock. I treat them, as a parent. We have different opinions on this site. I NEVER treat my birds as my equal, while others do. We do different things, to develop aq relationship that works. Nancy