NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Casper My African Grey

Hello Heidi and welcome to our family, you have a beautiful grey there.

You say he came to you clipped, are you going to allow the wing feathers to grow out so he may be capable of flight? He may not be very good at it especially if he has been clipped since he was fledged but at least he could give it a try.

About the bathing, have you considered taking him into the shower with you, he could sit nearby even if not in the spray and maybe in time he will get underneath it and enjoy some water, mine doesn't like a shower too much either but she tolerates it without screaming.

Thanks for including a pic of him in your intro post and we hope to be hearing a lot more about you and him and of course lots of pictures are always welcomed.

:D Thank you all so much for the warm welcome we already feel part of the grey flock I'm hoping to get to know you all and your beautiful birds I thought we would join a few forum's so that we could make some friends share tips and get some advice,

When I got him had already been re homed twice I noticed that he kept trying to bathe in his small water dish he's scared of water so I have slowly been trying to get him used to it he now sits close to the sink with the water running which is a big step for him,

Also about his wings from what I know he's always had them clipped he can glide a little however I would like them to grow out but am worried as he is quite big and clumsy that he will hurt himself,

It's early days and I think it could be a while before he trusts me completely but he's getting used to his new home and family while growing more confident each day he has a huge personality and is completely disruptive but looks really happy so that's all that matters to me.

Edited by Dusty Grey

• 1 month later...

You and Casper are getting along beautifully. I love your pictures. It seems that no matter how many African greys I have seen, each of them are unique and beautiful individually. I loved the black and white photo and then the ones in the jungle theme how his eye color is so close to the color of the blanket he is on. My daughter does something with the camera where she points it first at a colored object, then takes a photo and it will be completely black and white except the chosen color. I would love to see one of Casper if you can do that. Maybe with the blanket color for one and red for accentuating his tail feathers. Our rehomed guy still doesn't tolerate anything new and after 18 months he is still not ready to cooperate for any photo sessions.