NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Terrible twos ?

lisa

Do you think Greys go through a terrible two stage? Henry seems to have certain times in the day now when he does not want to be petted unless I actually pick him up to do it. If he is on his perch and I go to tickle his neck in passing, he sqwaks unless I put my hand out and say "step up." It's sort of like ... "my way or the highway lady!" And any of you with children know they all go through a period, even if it is very short of testing the boundries. Anyway, I simply don't pick him up when he is yelling at me, and do when he is not. He is out of his cage more than he is in and I am home the majority of the time, so he is getting plenty of attention. I really do see a lot of the same behaviour in my beautiful CAG, as I did when my even more beautiful children were little. They just seem to reach these behaviours sooner than children.

• 3 months later...

They seem to go through a phase that is very similar - not sure that I'd restrict them to "two" years. But they do test the water. At first, it's like establishing their boundries with you. What you let them do, what you seem to react to negatively, etc. BTW - I am NOT saying that just because you do NOT want something done, they'll NOT do it. :-)

Other than that, there is their hormonal period. This is at their sexual maturity. They do seem to get "frustrated" and develop some odd behavior there.

Guest Monique

Greys (most parrots) do have different behavior as adults vs. children. If you think of an adult child, spouse or close friend - there are times you might give them a hug and times you wouldn't, you respect them and base your actions (partially) upon the current situation & their mood, demeanor, etc. Having an adult bird is the same in some regards.

• 3 months later...

Talon has started to go through what I call a "feisty "

stage. She's asserting her independence, and seems to be saying,"it is my way as much as I can get away with". I think it is the beginning of the terrible two's that is posted here. Anyone else's bird starting this phase? :huh:

Guest Lidia

lisa wrote:

Do you think Greys go through a terrible two stage?

I would say that they definitely do. In my own experience I have seen it, and over the years I've also heard and read a lot of anecdotal evidence.

It's not about the bird's personality changing, however, it's more to do with how they try to control some of their environment, exert their independence, etc. It does manifest in biting and temper displays, and you just have to kind of wing (pun unintended) it through until they come out on the other side, hopefully more closely bonded to you and more trusting.

For me, it was a very real and wholly unexpected phenomenon, as I knew nothing at all about greys when I first had him (eighteen years ago). I wish I'd known to expect it, it would have helped to recognise the signs. You just have to be persistent, consistent and gentle and you'll get through it. Never react badly to the bad behaviour, no matter how awful it is and no matter how badly you get bitten (and you will most likely get a couple of bad bites). Just put Henry back on or in his cage and get on with your own stuff as though it never happened.

I hope this is helpful!

ps. I think Henry is a great name for a grey!<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/11 22:41

Guest Lidia

Yankeebobo wrote:

Other than that, there is their hormonal period. This is at their sexual maturity. They do seem to get "frustrated" and develop some odd behavior there.

Yankeebobo, can you explain more about this? I didn't think of it at all, even when it was going on, but you're obviously right! Good information to have, wish I'd heard about it years ago!

How old is your own bird? Did you go through it with him?<br><br>Post edited by: Lidia, at: 2007/07/11 22:45

That sounds like some good information Lidia, and you speak from experience since you went thru it many years ago. I think a lot of us have greys about the same age that we will all be going thru this phase about the same time, maybe we can help each other get thru it to the other side.:ohmy:

Lidia Wrote"

It's not about the bird's personality changing, however, it's more to do with how they try to control some of their environment, exert their independence, etc. It does manifest in biting and temper displays, and you just have to kind of wing (pun unintended) it through until they come out on the other side, hopefully more closely bonded to you and more trusting.

Mr. Paramedic, talon is 21 months old. Do you have a name or nickname that I can call you?

Lidia, that is exactly what Talon has started going through the last month or so. Thanks for the helpful advice. How long does this stage of Terrible Two's last?:dry:

Guest Lidia

Talon wrote:

that is exactly what Talon has started going through the last month or so. Thanks for the helpful advice. How long does this stage of Terrible Two's last?:dry:

It can last a good while, I think with Joshua it lasted until he was about three, but it was also exacerbated by my own ignorance. Because I reacted to his behaviour (by shouting) it was much worse than I think it would have been had I known better. It also took some time to re-establish the trusting bond between us.

I think I can safely say that you have to be careful not to react emotionally to Talon's behaviour, because as soon as she realises she doesn't need to intimidate you to get what she wants (independence to a degree), she will stop.

I truly wish I'd known this all those years ago, it would have saved me and Joshua a lot of grief.