NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bobbing for pellets...

lisachristine

Yes folks, I finally figured out how to get Rosie to eat pellets! First in the morning I give her fresh fruits and a ration of seed mix. When I get home from work (by this time most of the food is gone and she is hungry), I pour a TINY spoon full of the smallest Zupreem pellets available for birds into her water dish (too many and she loses interest). Right away she starts bobbing for pellets! I believe it has also encouraged her to bathe. She NEVER used to bathe before eating pellets this way. My only question is, if her water has bits of soggy pellets will it harm her to bathe in it? Or will I only have a stinky pellet bird??

LOL...What a novel way to eat! Tango, our ten ton Cockatoo, takes anything we give her (toast, cracker, bread, veggies, chicken bone, pellets, etc,) and loves to dunk it, eats it and then drinks the water...eeewwww!!!

Suggestion: Joe doesn't eat too many pellets but the few he does eat, he crunches while standing over his water bowl so he can go fishing for chunks that float...he also eats some of his veggies too.

Bobbing for pellets is great...it is fun and a wonderful way for your baby to eat a few pellets. Just don't forget to change the water every once in a while :P (just kidding! LOL) Maggie

What is it about soggy pellets?! LOL! I keep a bowl under Amali's water bottle to catch all of the drips, and she now will make pellet soup all by herself in that bowl by intentionally holding down her water bottle stopper to let the water flow! They are smart buggers :)

Maybe it will encourage eating pellets without dunking them first but at least some pellets are going inside the bird, Josey does not dunk her pellets but she does some other foods I give her as she usually has some kind of concoction by the end of the day.