NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Regurgitating question

Talon

Okay, here's what's going on. I have had my cockatiel for going on 3 weeks. Nilah my amazon always insists on going over onto the cage and only wants to regurgitate over and over for my cockatiel, Piper. She does it so many times over and over, when I take her off the cage, which is nonstop, she of course being an amazon and wanting her own way, will step up, but then bite my hand cause she needs to let me know, she's mad!!!

So, the question is, HOW do I discourage this regurgitating over and over? It doesn't matter whether Piper is in or out of his cage, she will climb all over it and do it anyways...

Talon, I hear I am wrong to allow any of my birds to regurg. I will never change my beliefs, since the birds have always regurg into my hand. They all love each other. No behavior issues, no sexuaL agression. Nilah is loving the new baby. Let her and baby work it out. Of course, intervene if baby is scared. Humans should never intervene, unless they are needed. Even though we have domesticated birds, they should be encouraged, to make as many decisions as they can. THATS what makes them happy! Nancy

It sure sounds like Nilah really likes your new Cockatiel! She is definitely bonding with your new 'Tiel and claiming everything that belongs to her. The worst case scenario would be that you might have to relocate your newest baby. Something interesting that most parrot owners know....It will be over 200,000 years before our parrots become domesticated like our dogs and cats. They are truly wild and captive in the truest sense... Maggie ;)

Yes, they are! They should be able to make choices, be outside of the cage as much as possible.If a bird makes a decision, and other bird is okay with it, support their decision, and be there to support and guide them.All of my birds have made their choices together. I am here as their mom, to support their choices, occassionally " keep the peace!" Nancy

Just curious--when do African Greys start this regurgitation thing? I am assuming after sexual maturity. Do young birds do this? Gracie is just 10 1/2 months old. No regurg yet/ i'm not really looking forward to that, but want to be prepared.

Hi, they can start at any time...but it is not for mating until they are around four years old. The proper way to handle regurgitation (that is accepted by the avian community) is when you are aware that it is going to happen and body language confirms this, touch your parrot only on the beak and head. The rest of their body is an erogenous zone. When they start the head and throat movement, say "Thank you", "I love you" and walk away. Usually this will stop the moment and you can return to normal handling. This same technique is used for rescue parrots that have been allowed to regurgitate freely. This causes no mental or detrimental problems. It is one facet of bonding that is not necessary or needed to form a solid bond. Humans and parrots have no sexual relationship whatsoever. They are each their own.... Maggie

JeffNOK, Amali is right near the same age as Gracie. Amali has only regurgitated to me maybe 3-4 times. I simply said thanks and went on as if nothing had happened. It definitely isn't any sort of sexual behavior at this point - more just a show of love and happiness. She wasn't trying to feed me or anything like that ... and I believe the first time she did it, it surprised her as much as it did me. Ha!