NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sleep Cages

Amali

How many of you utilize separate sleep cages for your fids? With our birds being housed right in our busiest area of the house, I've been considering moving them to a different part of the house in small sleep cages to ensure a better night of sleep. Amali is covered at night, but it isn't always completely quiet in that area so I think moving her would be a better option. Additionally, the new double stack cage is so huge that I don't even know if I can find anything big enough to get Tucker's lower area covered well enough!

I recently ordered two of these - http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/CARRIERS-Collapsible_Fold_Away_Carrier_24.html

Now as soon as my oldest daughter gets married in August, I will convert the fids over to sleeping in her room in those sleep cages.

The cages you purchased look like what I have for Gracie (CAG) as a travel cage. I think it would be appropriate for a sleep cage. I live alone and put Gracie to bed around 9 PM. I cover her and leave the room. It works for us. I think your idea is great. Keep up posted.

One of my birds has a sleep cage in my bedroom. The other 2 do not. But all my cages get covered at night, and I agree with Nancy, Bedtime is important. I would never use the cages you bought on the floor. They will not like it. They are good, but you must put them up on a table or stand. Birds ALWAYS want to sleep n the highest place they can find.

The only time my birds use a sleep cage is when they spend the night away from home and that is usually Josey who accompanies me when I go visit my son and she is covered whether at home or away but I usually set her cage on the floor and she is fine with it.

I can't start a new sleep cage routine until my oldest daughter moves out (wedding is in August) and then her bedroom will become my domain again - haha! (Well, more like extra bird stuff storing space!) I just think that moving them away from the busy area so they get more quiet and dark hours would be beneficial. Amali has always been covered so I will continue to do that with the sleep cages. If she and Tucker become friendly, I will put the sleep cages under the same cover - otherwise, they will each get covered separately.

I will not be using a sleep cage. The only place I could put it is in my bedroom and I am not quiet in my sleep. I wake myself up almost nightly because I'm either singing in my sleep or snoring loudly. I think it will be quieter for Jake in the living room. I don't go to bed late and he will be welcome to sleep anytime he likes.

Edited by Wingy

No sleep cage, they have a room that is theirs and are out all day long flying through the house. They are happy to go into their cages with a nighttime snack at evening time, well most of the time. LOL! Each does have a roomy travel cage for overnights, emergencies or sunshine time.