NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Weaning and coloring question

Sassy

Good morning....

My 9 week old baby had veggies for the first time this week... gobbled them up... even munched on some pellets.... :) Typically how long after they start having solid foods does it take to be fully weaned??

Also... I'm noticing a lot of red all over my baby... red tint to wing feathers... very red feathers down the back, on the belly and the legs... Is this normal and should I expect them to molt out? (I hope some stay though... it looks really cool)

thanks

Sassy

They might molt out and might not. I'm taking a lot of pictures for that very reason and plan on keeping several. DS and I will be going for a family portrait and I'll glue feathers from our fids on the matte.

Good morning....

My 9 week old baby had veggies for the first time this week... gobbled them up... even munched on some pellets.... :) Typically how long after they start having solid foods does it take to be fully weaned??

Also... I'm noticing a lot of red all over my baby... red tint to wing feathers... very red feathers down the back, on the belly and the legs... Is this normal and should I expect them to molt out? (I hope some stay though... it looks really cool)

thanks

Sassy

The ideally weaned grey is one that completely refuses 90% of it's formula. That takes different amounts of time because with some birds it's quick and with others it's longer. It's called *abundance feeding* and it creates a very strong healthy bird. Instead of the person deciding when to stop feeding formula, the bird tells the person when it wants to stop.

The red that you see is an excess of the red factor gene that controls the red coloring in the tail. Most of the time, those red feathers that the chicks have now will lose them when they have their first major molt. Some birds ( adolescent/adult ) keep that red color and usually, the red coloring spreads over more feathers. Those greys are known as red factor CAGs.

This mottling can happen on any feather --on the back, on the breast, on the legs.

Timneh--withredfactor-1.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Thanks Dave... I really hope that the baby keeps some of the red... I really like it. Apparently my little baby loves eating everything... the shop owner says I should name him (not really sure sex yet) Mikey as he likes everything... LOL

Sassy

Thanks Dave... I really hope that the baby keeps some of the red... I really like it. Apparently my little baby loves eating everything... the shop owner says I should name him (not really sure sex yet) Mikey as he likes everything... LOL

Sassy

Well unfortunately, as opposed to other types of birds, there is no special food on the market that will enhance or increase that red color because it all has to do with genetics. SO WHAT WE'RE GONNA DO IS LIKE THE INDIANSS DO, WE'LL GATHER IN A CIRCLE AT NIGHT WITH LIT CANDLES AND PRAY TO THE GODDESS OF COLOR AND ASK THAT YOUR BIRD STAY RED AND WE'LL PRAY THAT MORE RED DEVELOPS.

RedFactorCAG-1.jpg

Edited by Dave007

Sophie has a redtail. didn't know their was another possibility!So... if we are going to do an indian dance, and ask for more red,can we ask for Sophie to have another redtail? She's missing one! She leaves me an occassional grey, red feathers, I can't say, she has ever left me one! Nancy

Isn't Sophie a CAG? She's suppose to have a red tail. I have a TAG which should be anywhere from dark grey to brownish maroon. TAG's don't usually have a rump that looks like this. (That pic is baby's belly. He likes laying on his back and doing the periscope thing with his head.)

Click to enlarge.

th_birdsunltdlinksys-camcomscreencapture2012-6-7-19-5-42.jpg

Sophie has a redtail. didn't know their was another possibility!So... if we are going to do an indian dance, and ask for more red,can we ask for Sophie to have another redtail? She's missing one! She leaves me an occassional grey, red feathers, I can't say, she has ever left me one! Nancy

Nancy, would you please post Photo's of your parrot's? We would all love for you to share them with us...

Thank you:)

I'm going to try this weekend. Kids have to help me, as I don't know how. Sophie is definitely a Congo grey, but I would love for you all to see my guys. Kids are resistent to help. I(f they continue to refuse to help, can you all help me? I understand their refusal, as they feel " what goes on in our family, is between us", and they have no interest. We have GREAT birds, and I think it would be nice to share their pictures with others. Nancy

• 4 weeks later...