NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Greetings from Switzerland

I live close to Montreux and I am about to prepare myself to receive a pair of African Greys (still looking for them). I have found this forum by accident, and I am impressed by the nice published images. I hope that there are members with experience in raising of and caring for African parrots. I look forward to contribute in the future as well.

With regards.

Jack

Edited by PEPITA
typing error

Hello Jack and welcome to our family, most all of us have an african grey, some have more than one so we have firsthand experience in all areas of grey ownership so you ask your questions and we likely have an answer.

You are looking for a pair of greys, are you interested in breeding or just want double the fun? Breeders do not make good companions and vice versa so it will be helpful to know which you are looking for.

Have you owned birds or parrots before? A grey is not the ideal first parrot for they require more of your time and attention than most birds and not everyone can give them what they need but if you are willing to research and find out all you can before you commit to purchasing then you will be well on your way to being a good parront.

are you interested in breeding

I do not have the intention to breed, but I would enjoy seeing off-springs reared by their parents. I have been close to parrots all my adult life but really never owned one. My neighbours and close friends had three parrots, of which one was an African grey. I offered my mother a White Cacatoo who lived several years with her, and after her death the bird continued living with me. I was very attached to Felixa (that was her name after I discovered that it was a hen, and not to be called Felix anymore). Finally, due to my work and to my great regret I had to leave her with my neighbours who took good care of her. Now Felixa lives happily in Miami. My wife and I are now retired, live in the country and have inherited a large external aviary (12 ft high x 19 sq.ft in surface) which will be used as summer habitat for our future pair. I also feel that parrots should be in pairs, particularly when they reach sexual maturity. I certainly would not wish to have African Greys for fun, but to care for and observe them. The fact that they are extremely intelligent (some compare them to the Chimpanzees) requires much more attention than with other birds. I must say that here in Switzerland but also in Germany, the breeding is taken very seriously. A breeder cannot call himself breeder if he has not passed exams and is registered as such. Needles to say that I shall keep you informed when and how I have obtained my birds.

Jack

This is a wonderful forum, and there are many people here with amazing experience. I will say that your situation is different from most of us here. The majority of people here have greys for personal companionship. I'm not sure how many people in this forum have grey pairs in aviaries. You mentioned that it would be only a summer habitat. What would their living situation be during the cold months? Being in Switzerland, your summers are not particularly long. I have no doubt your future greys will have a great life. Hopefully you will find the information you need here. I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by JeffNOK