NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fireplaces?

Guest Jocelyn

Guest Jocelyn

Hi guys,

We finally bought our house yesterday (YAY) and are on our way to Grey ownership, or not...

The house has a wood burning fireplace, and I know Greys are very sensitive to changes in the air. Now my concern isnt the Grey getting into the fireplace but that the wood burning fireplace good cause issues for a grey. Now the house does have a finished basement (where our livingroom will be) and in theory we could keep a our bird down there but even with the windows I wouldnt feel right about that.

I already bought my cage but worse comes to worse I would simply sell. And if the air isnt right for a Grey I assume it wouldnt be right for any bird?

Others may have a bit more info on this, but I think the primary concern is making sure your bird cannot get to the screens or anywhere near the fireplace when it is actually burning. I would probably play it safe and say fire time = cage time. If you have the flue always open when burning, you should not be getting smoke into your living area. It would be wise to play it safe and have carbon monoxide detectors throughout the house just in case. Beyond that, you may need to keep an eye on the humidity level of the house and run a humidifier if necessary.

I have a wood burning fireplace in my living room. I do use it on occasion, but not every day and night. We did lose our power in a storm for 6 days last winter. With no heat, our only option with 5 birds was to wheel their cages into our living room and heat with the fireplace to keep us and them warm. They seemed to do fine with it. The only worry with it always is if the house gets smokey, occassionally when we first light it it does if I haven't heated the flue up enough, if that happens, my kids rush the birds stairs and close them into my bedroom, I open all the windows downstairs and air it out. When it is clear, we bring the, back downstairs.

Our primary heat source in the winter is a wood stove, and we've had no problems. Of course, as others have said, proper ventilation and safety precautions are alway a must.

We also use extra humidifiers, as the stove dries out the air and air purifiers.

Lot's of luck in your new home.

Guest Jocelyn

Yay! Shame no possession till earliest mid August, then painting so we have a while before a Grey joins us.