NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Fly or Step up??

lisachristine

Long story short, Rosie my 4 year old rescued CAG has never learned to fly,step up, or leave her cage. After living with us for over a year now, I have decided to start handling her (I gave her the first year to get to know and trust us). The problem being that once she steps up (after sometimes taking a bite to the hand) she quickly loses balance, gets scared, and jumps. She tries to flap her wings put still lands hard and brakes blood feathers. We now use a thick blanket to cushion her fall which sometimes help. My question is, will she learn to balance by practicing or am I going to make things worse? She no longer screams when I enter her cage, so I think she's ready. Do I teach her step up first or should she learn to use her wings first?? She has suffered a long time with a horrible clipping, but now her flight feathers have grown in.

Hi...what happens when a parrot does not fledge or learn to fly is that their equilibrium and balance is never properly developed. A second problem that occurs is the lack of confidence and knowing something is wrong/something is missing by not learning to fly. A third issue is possible stunting and a definite improperly developed back and flight muscles. The hard landings and not being able to stop forward flight are results of the lack of equilibrium and balance. Practice step up, letting your baby walk on your arm or the back of a chair...anything other than the perch so the baby will learn the feel of different objects. Soft quilts are a must. If you have any large glass areas or mirrors, put stickies/post-ups all over them so she can tell that is a solid object. They will do no damage to where you post them. Joe, our 7year old abused rescue, is just now learning to fly and to balance. He is very slow and he doesn't have much interest in flying. Tango, our 11 year old rescue 'Too, and Freddy, our 21 year old 'Too, never learned to fly because they were clipped before being fledged and continued to be clipped for 8 and 18 years respectively and we fear, from what we have observed, that they will never be able to fly...which is sad. When your baby learns to fly 8-15 feet and still has a rough landing, you will hear her panting but just praise the bejesus out of her. When they accomplish this, we praise them and call them our "Eagle babies". It is a long, hard road but it is possible...but it is also very stressful for both you and your little girl. Please go forward with it and you will see a huge difference in the future as time goes on. We have seen the results of too many clipped parrots clipped too early and cry for them. When you see that first successful flight, they hold their head up, stand tall and you can see the pride in their eyes! Thanks...

Do you have any natural wood branch type perches in her cage? You may wish to consider a table top play gym with low perches made of grape vine. Grape vine has various bumps and thicknesses which should allow her to slowly gain balance and confidence and it isn't slick like some of the other bird safe woods that play gyms are made of.

I am not affiliated with this company but have purchased from them and will do so again. http://naturesbirdperchantoys.com/Home_Page.php

b92e7cbd2e46436a0b210e134458408d_dlad_suze.png

Pookie our early 20's CAG had always been clipped when she came to us. It took over a years of waiting for her primaries to grow in while encouraging flapping and then we could start flight lessons. She nwo flies and lands well after being with us over 5 years now. She is still not a frequent flier but can fly at will. So there is hope even for a bird like yours. P.S. She began as a girl who could only drop down like a rock.

Four years old, is still very young. Certainly, can learn to fly. Open the cage door, when you are home. Encourage bird to comeout. I have trimmed birds, as well as have let their feathers grow. All my birds have practiced flying. Once I knew they were ready... I sent them off to flight, with kids on the other end, in case they crashed. Your bird will let you know when he is ready. Nancy