NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How did I prepare raw beets for my CAG?

8oh8faka

How do I Prepare the raw whole plant beet to my grey? Do I chop it up? Cut the stems?

Hi, Maggie here...I suggest washing with vinegar and skinning it. Then, soak it in organic apple cider vinegar and water, slice it, dice it...it will be messy no matter what you do. Do not rinse though after soaking in the vinegar water. Now for the best part...the beet tops or leaves are excellent for all parrots. Rinse them very well in plain water (stems and leaves) and soak for ten minutes in apple cider vinegar water, shake off excess water and drape between the bars of the cage or leave them on a plate in the cage. It may take awhile but keep at it ...

Why do you soak twice in acv and not rinse after the second soak?

I used to choose small beets, peel and slice them using the food processors thinnest setting, or use a mandolin slicer also on its thinnest setting, and soak the raw slices in cold water for about 6 hours changing the water often. Then I would dehydrate the slices and make "chips". These weren't completely dry and crunchy. The center was still a bit soft. I would store the chips in the freezer and use on kabobs or chopped in warm foods.

Jay/Maggie is correct. The entire plant is good stuff for the whole family. The leaves are best when no larger than your hand. Larger than that and the leaves tend to get bitter.

I wash peel & chop then add to birdy bread with as much produce as I can stuff into the mix and still have firm up when cooked. It is very popular and they birds often don't catch on it is chock full of healthy veggies they would most likely toss on the floor. Feeding the raw shredded or chopped beets gets to looking like a murder occurred and very messy murder-lol

Why do you soak twice in acv and not rinse after the second soak?.

Maggie here. The first time is to remove dirt, grime etc, you could use plain running water, the second time is to remove bacteria, dirt and oils from your hands etc...Thanks Maggie

Thank you Maggie! I will be sure to try that today. If I do not have apple cider vinegar wold it just be okay to wash it with water then skin it, slice it and dice it and then give it to my baby?

Maggie here. Organic Apple cider vinegar is preferred, but you can use apple cider or white vinegar. Running water is ok for the first rinse. Water alone will not kill germs etc...Thanks Maggie

Maggie here. The first time is to remove dirt, grime etc, you could use plain running water, the second time is to remove bacteria, dirt and oils from your hands etc...Thanks Maggie

I'll have to give it a try and see if the acv alters the taste any. I could probably do it after my long soak.

I'll have to give it a try and see if the acv alters the taste any. I could probably do it after my long soak.

Hi, Maggie here...After soaking in ACV, don't rinse. Either give it to them wet or air-dry. Parrots love the taste, besides being really good for them. It's good for any yeast problems they have through their throat and digestive tract. After washing their bowls, dishes, etc. we rinse in white or ACV. We use organic ACV for foods. You can clean their cage with them in it using white or ACV. Thanks Wingy!!

http://www.avianweb.com/vinegar.html

Edited by Spock

Thanks Maggie. If I'm preparing for fids only its no problem but I use the dehydrated beets for my self in many recipes. I guess this is one of those things I'll have to take a deep breath and try once and see how it goes. As much as I hate it dehydrated beets might be one of those "theirs" and "mine" things.