NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Parrot Personalities

Dave007

Many people are always trying to get specific info on TAGs and CAGs before purchasing and that's a good thing because it shows that people are doing their homework

I believe that more specific info can be given out much more easily if there were more subspecies of greys. As of now, there's only one and will remain so unless there's another subspecies found in some part of the world.

The most accurate info (even though this info doesn't apply to every single bird in a subspecies) can be easily classified by the huge majority of owners who've owned them and that personality doesn't become permanent nor show up until the bird has reached adulthood.

Examples

Amazons--there are at least 10 different ZONs in different countries. The most complex personality to deal with is the Double Yellow Headed. The easiest is the Yellow Naped and then there's specific info concerning the other subspecies of ZONs. Many people buy DYHs for their color.

Another Example

Cockatoos--The hardest to handle are the Lesser and Greater Sulpher Crested TOOs. The only TOO that exceeds the two I mentioned are the Leadbeaters (aka Major Mitchells)TOO. They're the most aggessive. They're not discussed much because of their extreme high price and lack of availability. The easiest to handle are Goffin TOOs. Then there's specific info concerning the other subspecies of TOO. Many people buy the two I mentioned for their color.

Another Example

Macaws---Even though it's considered to be the most beautiful, the hardest to handle is the Scarlet Macaw. The easiest is the Blue and Gold Macaw. Then there's specific info concerning the other subspecies of Macaws. Many people buy the one I mentioned for it's color.

Even worse than all of the above are hybrids which involves taking two parrots of different subspecies( example--Macaws ) and interbreeding them. What comes out is a parrot that has a mix of personality, a mix of color, an unknown life expectancy and an unclassified size difference. This terrible practice is stictly done for color variation.

For instance and I'll hypothetically use these two macaws--a Blue and Gold and a Green Wing.

Interbreed these two macaws and the chicks will come out with different personalities.

Take the same two breeders and do it again and more than likely, the chicks will come out with different personalities than the first clutch.

PS --To Nevjoe. Just to clear up something--I know you have a DYH but I also said that a specific personality classification doesn't apply to every single bird in that subspecies and I also said that specific personalities don't occur until adulthood.

Dave

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/27 20:47

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/27 21:13

Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/27 21:23<br><br>Post edited by: MrSpock, at: 2007/09/27 21:52

MrSpock Wrote: "The most accurate info (even though this info doesn't apply to every single bird in a subspecies) can be easily classified by the huge majority of owners who've owned them and that personality doesn't become permanent nor show up until the bird has reached adulthood."

I agree with this 100%.

Great Post fron a tried and proven many years experienced, multi-Prrot Owner! :-)

Just has a few quirks, that are tolerated due to his wealth of knowledge ;-)

Yes, this all is so true. I also do not think that hybrid breeding is something people should be doing. We should be breeding birds for their personality, not color, because it would be better to have a bland colored bird that loves you to death than a multicolored devil bird.