NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

food and tips for shiny feather and crack beak?

Momo

hello everybody!

just want to ask any tips/food that makes better feather and shinny deep black beak?

my grey's feather is very dull and he is molting now i dont know why his feather grow black and is seems so messy with his old grey feather.he look like a chess table.

his beak's color is become lighter and lighter which before was really black.i just realize its crack little bit this morning.

i give him shower frequently,he hates veggie and fruit but i force him to eat it in the morning and seems work.i also provide suplement and calcium powder.what happen to him??

;) Hi, Greys, unless other wise recommended by a avian vet should never be giver supplements or calcium supplement of any kind. They can receive a overdose which can cause all kinds of problems even death. A grey can receive all they need from a proper diet and sun light or full spectrum UVB lighting...A greys beak powers and turns whitish, if this is all it is, you can rub a very very small amount of olive oil with your finger if it bothers you. You might want to have a vet visit....

Jay

thanks jay for the quick reply,

today i will go to visit a vet because im quite worried.i also notice there is a crack on his feet,reddish on his bare foot.its like he really get very dry skin.

i give him all vitamin that my vet recommend me and i also sun bathing him frequently.he act normal like usual but he dsnt eat like normal and when i take a look,i find out that his beak is cracked(end of his beak is gone and i dont know why) .he dsnt fall down or injured thats what i know.

i will rush to go to vet and i hope there is nothing wrong with him. :(

thanks jay for the quick reply,

today i will go to visit a vet because im quite worried.i also notice there is a crack on his feet,reddish on his bare foot.its like he really get very dry skin.

i give him all vitamin that my vet recommend me and i also sun bathing him frequently.he act normal like usual but he dsnt eat like normal and when i take a look,i find out that his beak is cracked(end of his beak is gone and i dont know why) .he dsnt fall down or injured thats what i know.

i will rush to go to vet and i hope there is nothing wrong with him. :(

Thanks and I'm so glad to hear your going to a vet...Please keep us informed, Prayers and best wishes...

Jay

hi jay,thanks for asking.

the vet trimmed his beak today and he seems quite stress.he dsnt eat and dsnt talk at all today.

tomorrow i will need to come back to take fungi(i dont know what the english for it) exam and i will find out if he get infected by something.

i just want to make sure if he is okay but the vet mostly said its because of nutrition problem.

just to be honest,i cant find ANY pellet for parrot here.all the birdshop only sell seed and when i bring picture of pellet they said nobody buy something like that here.they just give me sunflower seed for his food. :(

i know this is bad but i cant do anything.only thing i can do is give him cooked stuff and veggie to limit the seed.

thats why last time i ask in chatbox if anybody live in iran to recommend me any birdshop/ expert vet to find pellet and whats the farsi language for it.

anyway jay thanks alot for the help.

momo.... how hard would it be for me to mail you some healthy food? I would be glad to do so. I will also be glad to absorb the food cost. I know, you would do the same for me. Send me a private message, what you need. I have a parrot store three minutes away. Let me help you. nancy

Nancy I can check the customs rules and make a few telephone calls to see if its allowed but because it is a food product I don't think it can be done without export/import licenses.

Momo this is what I could find. Kaytee products are available in Iran by contacting

Dubai, UAE

Nova Pharma Trading LLC

210 Duesseldorf Business Point

Al Barsha 1, Dubai, UAE

Tel: 00 971 44356440

Fax: 00 971 44356441

Email: info@novapharma.com

Harrisons

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES

EUROVETS

Dr Jonathan Hale BVSc(Pret)

CertVR MZCVS MRCVS

British Veterinary Center

Abu Dhabi

UAE

drjonathan@britvet.ae

http://www.britvet.com

If you have no luck there you can try contacting the avian section of a zoo or university and ask them for assistance.

thanks guys for all of your help.(my eyes tearing when i read all people in this forum tried to help me)

first of all,when i contact many distributor from arabic/european country(from american country is quite impossible to ship me stuff) they said ''yeah we can do it,why not just give us complete address and we can ship it''.but after 2-3 days they will said 'oh we are very sorry,we didint realize its so many terms to ship stuff to iran and even if its possible we cant give any guaranty they will let this stuff arrive to your home.we will inform you as soon as possible if there is any news'.(which none of them call me back to say yeah its possible)

from arabic country its easier and they have so many good stuff but when the stuff arrived to iran,this country have so many rules and terms till they make me CAN NOT get the stuff that i pay for.

the only thing i can do is one day i have to travel to dubai and buy good stuff there.(i will do this when i have enough money :) )

ah ya wingy,the website that you give me,its the best bird store here and thats the bird store that i asked if they have pellets.mmm they say nobody ever ask something like that.

thank you very much guys!!im going back to vet now. :)

momo... I also have a bird friend in Pakistan. Could he get food to you? Nancy

Nancy why don't you check with your friend to see if there are any resources he has for ordering food online and pass them along. Shops will know where they can ship to.

Edited by Wingy

Please look further on this site for different recipes of very good foods for your Grey that you can make for him. Pellets are not required. Look into the section labeled bird food here is a link to make it easy, you will find some for beans, lentils & grain with veggies and fruit that are very complete nutrition and not difficult to make. sticky.gif Sticky: Simple Grey Recipes/Cookbook

hi guys,

nothing really wrong with him,only his diet is quite bad and he got some skin problem.he is in antibiotic treatment for 2 weeks and i will need to come back again when the medicine is finish.

i told the vet his diet is 60% seed and i cant find any pellet.i also ask him if he can bring me pellet from other country because he has license so i would be easier for him rather than shop.

now i will start to make the homemade recipe food that greywings recommend me,at least thats what i can do now.

he is very picky,i dont know if there is any luck if he wants to try the new recipe food. :(

im cooking 1 of the recipe now,wish me luck!! :)

Remember if Momo rejects what you made try again tomorrow at another temperature. Momo may like it anywhere from room temperature to frozen. It is also recommended to offer new things in the morning before giving the daily food. So remove the food dish that had seeds, give a dish of what you've cooked and say 30 or 40 later put the dish of the usual food in.

I'm not sure if you know but you can sprout the seed that you have now and give that. It is much healthier and Momo might be braver about trying it because it looks familiar. You can look up sprouting seeds and offer them once the seed splits and the root emerges. This way they still look like the usual seeds. If those are accepted you can gradually lengthen the amount of "grow time" you give the seeds.

i will look exactly how to sprout and what kind of seed i need to find.

im trying to hide the seed in the morning and offer my cooked food.he starve him self until 2 pm afternoon but after that he eat them all.

i dont know if this is correct or not to starve him but i really need to do this.

the antibiotic makes him hyper i dont know somehow,he dsnt stop playing for 10 hours and very very noisy.

the funny thing he can read my mind what food is tasty.example,i eat apple in front of him.even i dance and make yummy sound till death he will take a reallyyyy small bite.thats it.

BUT if i eat chips/candy/jelly and i dont make any sound he will jump around ask to give him small pieces.

thank you everybody for the help,i guess you will see alot of new question from me in bird food room.wish me luck!!!