NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Making a 10 year old CAG to sit on my arm and not bite???

nasupops

Hi i'm new to the forum and find it so eye-opening!

The african grey me and my family have is 10 years old and attached to my dad. He is quite an independent bird but he's getting tamer every day. I've been working for months to gain his trust. It's working as now i can pat his head for long without him biting me. The problem is that when i try to put him on my arm he gets completely streamlined and stressed and has bitten me on two occasions when my dad left him on my arm and walked away! He's completely fine with my dad carrying him. It's hard on me bcoz i'm terrified of being bitten! How do i make him adjust to being carried by me? and any advice to get unterrified of being bitten? lol :( :confused:

Well a lot of your problem is that your grey can sense your fear of being bitten so obliges. I would change the routine. Put the grey back down before your father leaves the room and that problem is solved. If you want a grey/parrot to like your or spend time with you it has to be on the parrot's timetable and because the grey wants to do that. Your biggest obstacle is your fear and until you can overcome that, you need to be observe your father and see why the grey likes him so much. A grey bites because he is being asked to do something he does not want to do or he is afraid.

Any tips to get rid of the fear? U right about it holding me back! Although me and the grey have come a long way. I spent months trying to gain his trust and it worked I'm just afraid we took steps backward? Will my grey be the same as before the bite or not?

Hi Nancy, well I think at first I'm gnu do my best to get used to him more and let him get more used to me and when I'm more comfortable I think my dad should pass the bird to me for a short time and each time slowly increase the time till he's not so stressed out. I've learned that when he's streamlined than he's either scared or is not happy with the situation. So when that stops happening then I'll know he's comfortable with being on my hand.

How does that sound? Any comment or advice?

An EXCELLENT plan! Your dad needs to be 100% involved, in the bird accepting you. Practice stepup back and forth. The bird will see that your dad trusts you... so hmmm...you must be okay. You cannot be forced to be comfortable. It has to be developed overtime. You are skittish, so is your bird. You already have something in common! Let bird see you be affectionate with your dad in front of cage. Hugs... talking... ignore the bird.( leave the door open... he may want to stepup on the door). Interact with your dad over and over, ignore the bird, but leave door open.

When practicing stepup, back and forth, I believe in wrist status only. Others on this site, are okay with shoulder, right away. You need to decide. nANCY

Hi Nancy, well I think at first I'm gnu do my best to get used to him more and let him get more used to me and when I'm more comfortable I think my dad should pass the bird to me for a short time and each time slowly increase the time till he's not so stressed out. I've learned that when he's streamlined than he's either scared or is not happy with the situation. So when that stops happening then I'll know he's comfortable with being on my hand.

How does that sound? Any comment or advice?

Sounds good, do it...