NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bonding Birds

AGreyBoy21

My Athena is a dna'd female and she is definitely bonded to me (a woman.) She will let my husband hold her and loves to give him kisses, but when it comes to Momma, there is no substitute. In fact, I wasn't even considering a grey until she picked me at the local bird show by leaping into my arms the first time we met. Proof positive of love at first sight =)

(That is not to say she won't switch loyalties later on when she matures, but I'm hoping that through regular socialization we will help prevent or curb the switch.)

loviechick I totally agree with you,in my opinion also i think the whole bonding with the opposite sex is a myth, if your grey is well socialized from an early age he/ she will have equal experience with both sexes.I do believe it's just a case of who the bird prefers, i have a female who regurtitates & acts as if i'm her partner.

Guest briansmum

i agree that if socialized properly there is no reason they shouldn't bond to either. my male CAG's breeder was a man and he clearly loved him. but he is deffinately a ladies bird now, he only lets me and my mum touch him, i think this is because she and i are both very emotional people, we talk to him in high enthusuatic voices, make a fuss of everything all the time, use eccentric hand motions and act like he is the most gorgeous thing in the world. no one else does this, my boyfriend mumbles at him in a deep man voice, doesnt fuss and doesnt get excited.

as long as you are endeering, appealing and shower the bird with love it shouldn't matter, but there does seem to be that it is more likely a bird of the opposite sex will bond better.

I think the keys in this discussion are 2 things, GreyBoy - 1) A solid relationship/environment for you and the bird and 2) hard work and socialization. I don't think it really matters if the parrot is male or female or the person is male or female.

Parrots are individual animals, so you're never guaranteed that the bird will love only you forever. In fact, you should be prepared emotionally in case the bird decides to switch loyalties. But if you constantly work to have him meet and interact will different people, the theory is that he should be able to satisfy the varying needs and desires of his emotional development with the different people he knows and loves. Perhaps he loves you for nurturing and providing for him (aka, being the parent), but perhaps he will see someone else as his "partner," and perhaps even a different person will be his "playmate." Therefore, making him less apt to abandon you entirely for someone else.

Part of socializing (at least that I've come to realize) is understanding that you CAN'T be everything for your bird and allowing him/her to form relationships with other people if the bird so desires.