NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Supplements?

Guest HeatherVT

Guest HeatherVT

Hello :D I'm a newbie to the forum - I was just wondering if there were any supplements that you swear by for your grey? ( my guy is a big time plucker! The only recent think I have started is the Feather-In spray - he's also a wicked picky eater!)

Hi, Maggie here...this post is from our very own Dave007...this stuff really works...

As far as vitamin or nutrient supplements, they should never be given to your parrot (unless an avian vet who has done blood tests, etc, recommends them). A proper diet and an hour or so of outside sun or around four hours of a full-spectrum UVB light will supply everything your parrot needs. Have you taken your grey to the vet to see if there is a medical problem instead of a psychological problem with the plucking? The more information that you can give the forum, (age, sex, attitude, etc), your questions will be answered with more specifics. Thanks and welcome! Maggie

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

Edited by Dave007

Guest HeatherVT

I'm a Veterinary Technician - so he's been to the vet quite a few times.... He's had a full workup for the plucking... I have only owned him about a year and a half and was told I will be atleast his fourth owner that the last owner knew about... He has a tendency to be a bit aggressive at times... but this has lessened the longer I've owned him.. He's a SUPER PICKY bird and will only eat a few types of veggies (broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, mashed potatoes, corn...) and is limited on the fruits he'll even look at (grapes, oranges) ... he's on Harrison's High Potency pellets and he LOVES Nutriberries.... I have gotten a bit creative to get other fruits and veggies into him and will often cook 'corn muffins' for him filled of all the veggies and fruits he ordinarilly won't look at.... I've had some people say he should have spirulina added into his food... or other supplements... so this is why I ask ;)

Guest Thervonen

Hi there! sounds like you take very good care of him! I have had my 16 yo grey for just over 2 years. She is a pretty heavy plucker and I have periodically had some success getting her to grow in some so I can share what I have learned.

Aloe juice: I spray her with aloe juice after her shower and on non shower says. This is supposed to help make the new growth less itchy and irritating. This similarly seems to help.

Showers: it has taken a long time to get her to tolerate showers. I started off letting her Hang out on the curtain rod, and eventually started having her sit on my arm for a few utes and deflected some water at her. She would try to get away and squak. More recently I have started placinbitg her in the bottom of the tub and splashing some shower water at her. She doesn't mind this and will even dance around a . Once she's pretty wet I can pick her up and soak her more thoroughly. Just be careful not to get shampoo or soap on him. Showers are important.

Bordom: greys need LOTS of entertainment and mental stimulation. Keep introducing new toys and change them out here and there. Try introducing a harness and take him out side, to the park or pet store or to visit a friend. Work him in to this slowly since it can be scary and stressful if he's not used to it. Without enough stimulation they can get carried away with preening just for something to do. Chewing is huge with greys so its important to have lots of forging toys and wood for them to chew and distroy instead of their feathers

Stress/anxiety: this is a tricky one. You can just pay close attention to his behavior. When does he pluck/ chew? Is there anything you can find that triggers it? Is he getting enough sleep? I know mine doesn't and that is something we are working on. Does he chew more when there is company? Does he feel like part of your flock? you can try to include him in as much as you can. Remember they are more like a family member than a pet. Their intelligence requires the security and comfort of their flock. Which is you and your family. You can bring him to family meals, sit with him while you watch TV or on the PC, bring him to the bathroom while you shower and get ready for the day. routines are very comforting for them too. So including him in your morning routine can help him know what to expect each day. And make sure you talk to him before you go to work. Let him know where you are doing and when you'll be back. I know this seems silly but I have read alot that this is comforting.

Bad habit: sometimes even if we correct the initial cause of the chewing/plucking it has always become a bad habit like we might bite our nails, overeat ect. I try to spend slot of time with her and now when I catch her plucking I say ah ah! And she stops and looks guilty. I also try to keep slot of foot toys around to distract her. If we are out and she starts getting anxious and plucky I will find a twig or paper for her to chew on.

I have not been consistent with my efforts but I had gotten her to almost a full chest of feathers once. Sometime she is completely stripped from the neck down. do agree that nutrition is extremely important. If we don't eat right it effects our mental health too. But it is only one aspect related to plucking and chewing.

I hope my experiences can be helpful. Keep us posted on his progress :)

Edited by Thervonen
fixing typos

So many things can impact these sort of habits, bathing and excellent nutrition are a great base to work from and you have those under control. Offering shreddable toys, stuffing the cage full of safe chewable branches with leaves, hanging wet Kale carrot Greens ect. in the cage will offer good foods as a toy as well as a healthy choices. The leafy branches gives them plenty of chew exercise and distraction to keep those sharp Grey minds and beaks occupied and in good shape. Suggesting Crape Myrtle, Hackberry, Bamboo and Magnolia as safe to start with, stuff that cage making her work to get from one side of the cage to the other.

Guest HeatherVT

Thanks SO much for the great advise - I forgot to also mention that Bird is a male ... the first thing I did was DNA him to be sure... I definitely would love to put the branches and leaves in his cage but I am unsure as to where to get them... My BIGGEST problem with him - is he WILL NOT perch... I would love to take him around the house with me (or buy him a perch for my other rooms) but he aggressively bites HARD whenever my hand is put near him or if we try to put a perch near him - My husband has been able to get bird to perch on his hand when bird has fallen (YES FALLEN) off of his cage... but Bird does seem quite nervous up there on his hand... I am kind of at a loss as to what to do with his perching issue - as far as him falling from the perch - he's been doing that quite regularly and another side note is that since I have owned him - his flight feathers have never grown in... I know I'm jumping around a bit - but I always wanted to note something a little pecular - the band he has is ROUND - like a complete circle... I tried googling it or trying to see where he originated from but have been unsuccessful... Thanks for any and all advise - gonna make a food shopping run for him tonight...

Question? Does your baby fly? Alot of rescue Greys are uneasy on their feet due to the trauma of intentional and un-intenional abuse. As you know you should limit the amount of fruit a Grey is fed, a couple pieces the size of a grape a day is more than enough. Any parrot shouldn't have very much white type potatoes, their not good for them, you can substitute sweet taters or over cook cauliflower and mash it.

As Dave007 or danmcq will advise you, get Red Palm oil, it can do wonders. You might wish to have the band removed, even if there is no visible it still be irritating him You have received some Greyt advice from all. Please rethink the fruit issue.......Jay

Guest HeatherVT

Bird does not seem to fly - it almost seems as if he doesn't quite know how too... I often see him holding onto the end of the perch with his feet and flapping his wings ... when he does this he will occasional fall... but like I said - it's strange because his flight feathers are missing.... they have not come in in the whole 1 and 1/2 - 2 yrs I've had him...

It does take a while for a full set of flight feathers to all come in as they are usually replaced in stages.

Since he has been in several former homes it is possible he is hand shy and doesn't want to perch, rehomed greys carry a lot of baggage with them that they collected from their previous homes and it is hard to work thru that but time and patience will be your best friends.

I do give my grey some red palm oil every day, you can add it to other foods or drizzle it over pellets or his seed mix, I stir a little in some oatmeal that my grey eats from a spoon, she gobbles it right up.

Guest HeatherVT

Is my best bet just to keep working with trying to get him to perch - he seems to trust my husband more than me... Which is fine, I would just rather him comfortable with one of us... I just have no way to get him around the house - he just hangs on his cage...

Guest HeatherVT

(sorry I know the hubby didn't have his shirt on in this pic - but look what bird did tonight!!!!)

k1ax6g.jpg

Guest Thervonen

Hi there, It sounds like your little buddy has had a very rough go of things. He reminds me of a grumpy old man :) I haven't met or even read of to many in their 30's. There is so much that can go wrong in that amount of time, and they will remember any tramas they have been through. Greys are very slow to accept change. My heart aches for him to hear how many homes he has gone through. The plucking and biting can both be signs of an insecure bird. Aggression could also be hormonal, but I really feel with what you have told us that he is anxious and untrusting. Greys typically stay with their flock their whole life, except when they they keep some distance while mating and nesting with their mate, which they also keep for life. So it is very hard on them mentally and emotionally to change households. I am mooches 3rd home th hat we know of. And I have 3 young children so my home can be a bit stressful at times and I'm sure that adds to her anxiety and plucking. Her previous owner said she did pluck for a short time when they first got her but she eventually stopped. It has taken over 2 years to get her to where almost anyone can handle her. She issues to be aggressive to anyone that tried to touch her. It took me 2 months of constant work to be able to reliably pick her up. Now she is accepting of strangers. She still bites when she is tired or just wants to be left alone. It was really cool to watch her personality change. it is a very slow and rewarding process. Just keep trying and working with him to show him that the world is a safe and loving place even when he wants to be grumpy. You never know what tramas he may have to overcome.

As for falling and per Hong troubles, I would wonder about arthritis. I always hear about making sure to give them different size perches for good foot health. Somewhere along the line he may not have had that. You could try introducing different size perches or asking an avian vet for suggestions.

I actually had to re reach mooch to fly. Her first owner kept her clipped, so even once it stopped she never tried. In my efforts to reduce her stress and include more exercise, I had to work with her to rebuild the muscles and confidence. I am slowly seeing improvements in her distance and accuracy.

Just remember, he may have slot of baggage. If you are patient and consistent you will see slow progress, and every bit of it is wonderful and rewarding. I commend you for taking him in and trying to give him the best life possible. Not everyone is willing to take in a bird that needs work. It can be a long and painful process. You might want to brush up on some child psychology to help you along :)

Edited by Thervonen
typo

Jayd... Remember, we agree, to disagree! A Grey, in my experience, and from what I have learned, has the ability to learn equivalent to a five year old. I have always followed that belief. Most people, cannot affort an Avian Behaviorist. Myself included. Of course, if my bird was chewing her feathers, I would find the money, no matter what. I agree with Thervonen... brush up on child psycholgy.

Some people believe in " flock member", others believe in treating their birds like their children, which I do. Noone is right or wrong. I have two biological children, three birds that are different species. I have five children. They ARE my children. My dogs are different, since they don't respond to me being their mom.( of course, love them just as much.) All of my birds respond to me being the " mom". My " mom " status, has earned me the right to make the final decision with disagreements, has helped with being scared( I'm there in a heartbeat), and I suspect has helped birds to learn to socialize. ( can't be bad, if mom likes them!) Nancy

Jayd... Remember, we agree, to disagree! A Grey, in my experience, and from what I have learned, has the ability to learn equivalent to a five year old. I have always followed that belief. Most people, cannot affort an Avian Behaviorist. Myself included. Of course, Nancy

Thank you Nancy, but I don't remember any agreement. You posts are always welcome and interesting. "Most people, cannot afford an Avian Behaviorist." This is true, thankfully on the net is a large number of "Free" Avian Behaviorist, the best in the world. Question? "brush up on child psychology" Why? A Grey isn't human, physically, mentally or otherwise..A Grey, "has the ability to learn equivalent to a five year old" In truth, a child doesn't have the ability to learn "multiple" languages, nor a Grey the ability to pour themselves a bowl of cereal, a old adage, " I can talk. Can you Fly?" etc etc etc. When someone speaks of "Treating" your pet, not just a Grey like "One of your Children", means to love, care and provide for as if their of your own blood.

This is all scientific fact and proven beliefs, not just opinion. It is the responsibility of all members to provide as much fact based info as they can, not just experience or "It worked for me so it's right". I'm sorry Nancy, but when you say the scientific world and members with years of hands on experiences are wrong, is mis-info, and I will reply to it trying to set the record straight, this can be you or anyone. If others don't like that I do this, then from my heart I'm very sorry.

since I have owned him - his flight feathers have never grown in...

Anything that damages, irritates or inflames the feather follicle can interfere with that feather follicles ability to grow a normal feather. If a feather is traumatically pulled from a feather follicle, the feather follicle can be damaged and the replacement feather that grows can be deformed or not grow at all depending on the amount of damage. When a feather is lost, it is replaced immediately in most cases. If you check his primary follicles on each wing and see no portion of a shaft left (You will probably need to towel him) they have been damaged beyond ever growing another feather.

Jesus at 30 + years, there i sno doubt he is doing good and is becoming more open to up close and personal interaction, at least with our husband. Thats GreYt!

Anything that damages, irritates or inflames the feather follicle can interfere with that feather follicles ability to grow a normal feather. If a feather is traumatically pulled from a feather follicle, the feather follicle can be damaged and the replacement feather that grows can be deformed or not grow at all depending on the amount of damage. When a feather is lost, it is replaced immediately in most cases. If you check his primary follicles on each wing and see no portion of a shaft left (You will probably need to towel him) they have been damaged beyond ever growing another feather.

Jesus at 30 + years, there i sno doubt he is doing good and is becoming more open to up close and personal interaction, at least with our husband. Thats GreYt!

Thanks Dan, That's how our Freddy is......