NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When you Rehome.

Ray P

When people rehome a animal they very often have certain expectations of how a animal should react when you do certain things. Like a dog if you pat the dog on his head or scratch him under their chin they will wag their tail and be your friend for life. If you take a cat and scratch the back of their head and rub there body they will purr and be your friend in most cases.

With a parrot you have to do all the work to earn their trust and jump through hoops to make them happy. And when done with all that they will pat you on the head and scratch you under your chin for doing a good job with your behavior.

When it comes to parrots that is the one thing most humans do not understand that all animals will not jump through hoops for us because we want them too.

When people look at a parrot, They see a bird

When a parrot looks at us, They see their equal

Edited by Ray P

The timing in which Gilbert was first offered gave me five months to really think about what I was about to get into. He was presented with his flaws as bared as his missing feathers. Fifteen months later I still don't set expectations for him. We are in it for the duration. You aren't really giving him credit though Ray when you call me his equal. He is much more superior and I can guarantee he thinks he has the upper hand. He doesn't reward me with any scratch under the chin, I can tell you. LOL. Instead when I think I am entertaining and impressing him he says "What are YOU doin'?" and "Why you do thaaaaat?" He is a tough audience.

One thing is certain Ray, the care and feeding of a parrot has finally surpassed the level of difficulty to husband keeping. I have had thirty years of practice with the husband part and it is still unpredictable and hard to figure out. I think Gilbert came along into my life to show me that the husband is really a piece of cake.... at least he hasn't ever bitten me. LOL.