NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Color Mutations

BMustee

So , is the bear cup a true albino since his eyes aren't pink?

love the red factor birds, but would hate to see them bred just for it, because of the probability of genetic problems from the genetic "puddle". love that phrase by the way.

Actually I really like the grey with the white tail. very classy looking, as apposed to the red factor who looks like she was putting on makeup and got carried away! :woohoo:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the white tailed grey too! she is beautiful... like snow white! :silly:

I will get some pics up tomorrow or tuesday... I am not at home right now, i live up in the laurentians, and am spending thanksgiving with my friends in the city!

regards,

MabesM

Mr. Spock, the red grey that you posted is a magnificent looking bird. Was he/she captive bred or is it a wild caught bird. I have never seen a bird with red like it has. Hsd to save it to my library of pics that I come across of natures beauties.

Thanks

Shane

She was bred in captivity. Parents showed no unusual visible excessive coloring. Other chicks ( 2 others) in the clutch were regulation looking greys. Grandparents and great great grandparents all had excessive gene pigmentation but not as much as this bird.

"""""I am keen to find a young grey like this. Are his/her parents still producing babies. Thanks once again for the info.""""""""""

If you're referring to the grey that has many multi colored feathers, no I have no idea whether the parents are still breeding but even if they were there's no guarantee nor is it likely that the offspring will look anywhere near like that. More likely, the chicks will be regulation color or have a few red feathers. The parents of the pictured bird weren't bred so that the bird would look like that. It's a mutation that can happen or not happen and the people breeding the parents won't have any idea what will emerge. Maybe it won't happen again at all. It all has to do with the past history of the birds that existed.

Other birds that can be intentionally bred for different colors are macaws which I don't agree with at all. Those people are just looking to line their pockets. They should be bred with monkeys and see how they like it.

• 5 months later...

Oh wow, I've seen red factor greys but thats almost all red. My grey is red factor, the whole underside of her body has pink and red feathers instead of white yet all of her grey feathers are well...grey ^^ She hasn't moulted yet so will be very interesting to see if she keeps the colouring or not. I will get some pictures if i can, she kinds needs to lift her wings to do so, best catch her on camera when shes having a good ole stretch

as i watched clëo on her perch this morning, the light was shining on her and i saw she has red colouring down two of her primary feathers on one side, I never noticed this before. i guess i wasnt really looking for it until i started reading this topic, she's definately got red factor in more places than i thought. really hope they stay after her first moult.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I never even thought to think about this. However, being a new TAG owner I have been more concentrated on bonding and making Zazu Happy...

QUESTION: Is there a "blue factor" ?;)

I have a silly question for everyone regarding this. I don't have a picture of this part of him, but I have attached a picture that best shows what I am talking about. Zazu has bluish/grey feathers (in the picture it is white) above his tail. It is really obvious when he gets wet, but is still visible when he is dry. Is this a type of the mutation or perhaps most have the bluish time to them? It's very obvious there is a blue tint (not just my eyes!). I will post a picture as soon as I can (the picture posted is not zazu).

I adopted Zazu from a rescue and know little of his history, so I don't know if anyone had noticed this about him before.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Nicole :)African_Grey_Parrot.gif<br><br>Post edited by: NLJohnso, at: 2008/06/26 04:16

African_Grey_Parrot.gif

A lot of TAGs will have a blue tint to they grey. The year old TAG at my work has a blue tint to the scaloped rims of his belly feathers. It's not a mutation, it's just their coloring.

Like Talon said, the grey in your pic is not a TAG...it's a CAG.

I know the pic I posted was a CAG, however my bird is a TAG and I did not have any pics to describe what I was talking about...so I googled a picture and that (what I posted) was the best pic I had (again, not of Zazu)only instead of blue it showed white (referring to the spot on Zazu's back that turns a blue). Just to clarify. I understand that difference between timneh's and congos.... however, I did not know that Timneh's typically could have a bluish tint to them. Hope that clears things up.

Zazu is a Timneh. This picture is a Congo, but I did not have a picture of Zazu's backside to show what I was asking about-- thats all! Sorry if it was confusing!:blush: :)

• 4 months later...