NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

"coming of age" plucking?

NicoleluvsCAG

I have a 5 year CAG named Turkey. He had beautiful plumage all way around until this Feb. During spring break while I was home from work, I noticed he was twisting his feathers and pulling them off. He concentrated the plucking/pulling/twisting on his shoulder areas, chest and his whole back and under the wings. He never had/has touched his down, which I am so thankful for. He is only taking out his top feathers in those areas only.

After researching and effortlessly trying to direct his attention, I had to make a vet apt to rule out diseases and skin ailments.

The vet gave him a clean bill of health, but she told me since he was 5 years old he was "coming of age" and most likely plucking because he was sexually frustrated. And this should clear up within a few weeks....well its June and at one point he looked like he was growing a few new chest feathers, but then he'd twist and pull those out too.

Its been 5 months and he isn't letting or growing any new chest/shoulder or back feathers in.

Any advice? could it be mineral/supplement deficiency? he is on all organic seed/tablet diet, with fresh foods...he is also given a water supplement (the vet said would help). He is bathed regularly...

What the heck? please help, i would like my little CAG to have a full feathered body at some point....