NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Top 10s (About African Grey)

TWIX

I was thinking, what if we can start new threads highlighting the most important things an owner should know about their Grey. Examples:

Top 10 things you should know about your Grey.

Top 10 most common diseases

Top 10 behavior changes

Top 10 poisonous food

Top 10 recommended food

Top 10 ..........etc

This will sum up a lot of information for new Grey owners like myself. I am reading and reading and the forum is full of information, but it would be great if members can get access to the most important information in one place.

Experienced members should chose one of the Top 10s and reply with the correct information below. More Top 10s can be added as long as you think members can benefit from it. This will be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Maggie here, in each room there are sticky's with very much what your talking about. From food, health,housing etc, pulse suggestions from all members. Talon [Penny and the other Mod's] has done a wonderful job of organizing this Greyt forum. click on a sticky of your choice and in the room that your concern is located, and the whole world of this Forum opens up to you......You can also type in a word such as "food" or "heath" in the search box... Thanks Maggie..

Exactly Maggie, that's what i was talking about! Instead of searching and searching, why can't we have ONE thread that has a short and most important information for quick access in case of emergencies and those who doesn't have much time to read :) I will give you n exmple:

If you buy digital camera, you will find 2 user manuals. The first is 200 pages and the other is only 10 (Quick user manual and comes in many languages)

Don't see how the perplexities of an African grey could possibly be put in a quick user manual......trying to determine only 10 things is impossible in my mind. IMHO

But feel free to be the first one here to figure it out and start writing! We can add it to our stickies. :)

Hi, Maggie here, in each room there are sticky's with very much what your talking about. From food, health,housing etc, pulse suggestions from all members. Talon [Penny and the other Mod's] has done a wonderful job of organizing this Greyt forum. click on a sticky of your choice and in the room that your concern is located, and the whole world of this Forum opens up to you......You can also type in a word such as "food" or "heath" in the search box... Thanks Maggie..

I totally agree with what Maggie says. There's stickys all over the different rooms covering just about all subjects. ( I put a lot of those stickys in a long time ago) and it's really sad that people don't read them. Some people think those stickys are just a decoration. They're meant to be read by the serious grey owner who wants lots of info on their bird. I'll tell you--many people are basically lazy. I can't tell you how many people come here, ask a few questions and are gone in the wind. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds.

Diseases---there's a sticky. (actually more than one)

Basic medical kits kept around a house---there's a sticky for that.

Behavior---there's body language sticky.

Pinionous food---there's a sticky for that.

Recommended food---there's not only a sticky for that but also a complete room devoted to that.

Bathing---there's a couple of stickys for that.

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Top 10 etc?----There is no such thing but people can read posts to find out about etc.

It's the people who come around, read these so called top 10 items, leave and come back to talk about their dead birds. Example --unweaned birds.

Example---seriously clipped birds that brak their bones.

OP---you mention something about it being great for new bird owners.

As far as me, I wouldn't give people a top 10 list since it's already there. The big secret---read through loads of info that's been put on the board by people who really care about the complexities of owning wild animals such as parrots.

Edited by Dave007

TWIX, are you saying my CAG will come with a 200 page manual?!?! I'm a guy....we don't READ manuals!!!! :)

Jimmy, there is a ton more than 200 important pages to read in regards a grey. They are an exotic creature and require special care and understanding of their ways just as any exotic / wild creature does. Thus the reason there are "Certified Avian Vets" and they went to special classes and passed tests so they could gain that certification and we as parrot lovers take our parrots to no one but a "certified avian vet" that knows parrots intricately and how to properly care for and treat them.

Too many parrots die very young compared to their 50 to 70 year lifespan due to people not reading and studying all they can about their parrot species they own. Each species has different care and diet requirements. Anything less will greatly shorten their lifespan.

@ Jimmy: Sure you don't want to read this manual? :)

Wife 1.0 userguide - Author unknown

Last year a friend of mine upgraded GirlFriend 1.0 to Wife 1.0 and found that it's a memory hog leaving very little system resources for other applications. He is only now noticing that Wife 1.0 also is spawning Child-Processes which are further consuming valuable resources. No mention of this particular phenomena was included in the product brochure or the documentation, though other users have informed him that this is to be expected due to the nature of the application. Not only that, Wife 1.0 installs itself such that it is always lauched at system initialization where it can monitor all other system activity. He's finding that some applications such as PokerNight 10.3, BeerBash 2.5, and PubNight 7.0 are no longer able to run in the system at all, crashing the system when selected (even though they always worked fine before). At installation, Wife 1.0 provides no option as to the installation of undesired Plug-Ins such as MotherInLaw 55.8 and BrotherInLaw Beta release. Also, system performance seems to diminish with each passing day.

Some features he'd like to see in the upcoming wife 2.0:

- A "Don't remind me again" button

- Minimize button

- An install shield feature that allows Wife 2.0

be installed with the option to uninstall at anytime without the

loss of cache and other system resources.

- An option to run the network driver in promiscuous mode which would

allow the systems hardware probe feature to be much more useful.

I myself decided to avoid all of the headaches associated with Wife 1.0 by sticking with Girlfriend 2.0. Even here, however, I found many problems. Apparently you cannot install Girlfriend 2.0 on top of Girlfriend 1.0. You must uninstall Girlfriend 1.0 first. Other users say this is a long standing bug which I should have been aware of. Apparently the versions of Girlfriend have conflicts over shared use of the I/O port. You think they would have fixed such a stupid bug by now. To make matters worse, The uninstall program for Girlfriend 1.0 doesn't work very well leaving undesirable traces of the application in the system.

Another thing that sucks -- all versions of Girlfriend continually popup little annoying messages about the advantages of upgrading to Wife 1.0

***** BUG WARNING ********

Wife 1.0 has an undocumented bug. If you try to install Mistress 1.1 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete MSMoney files before doing the uninstall itself. Then Mistress 1.1 will refuse to install, claiming insufficient resources.

*** BUG WORK-AROUNDS ***************

To avoid the above bug, try installing Mistress 1.1 on a different system and never run any file transfer applications such as Laplink 6.0. Also, beware of similar shareware applications that have been known to carry viruses that may affect Wife 1.0.

Another solution would be to run Mistress 1.0 via a UseNet provider under an anonymous name. Here again, beware of the viruses which can accidently be downloaded from the UseNet.

wives1.jpg

I totally agree with what Maggie says. There's stickys all over the different rooms covering just about all subjects. ( I put a lot of those stickys in a long time ago) and it's really sad that people don't read them. Some people think those stickys are just a decoration. They're meant to be read by the serious grey owner who wants lots of info on their bird. I'll tell you--people are basically lazy. I can't tell you how many people come here, ask a few questions and are gone in the wind. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds.

Diseases---there's a sticky. (actually more than one)

Basic medical kits kept around a house---there's a sticky for that.

Behavior---there's body language sticky.

Pinionous food---there's a sticky for that.

Recommended food---there's not only a sticky for that but also a complete room devoted to that.

Bathing---there's a couple of stickys for that.

etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

Top 10 etc?----There is no such thing but people can read posts to find out about etc.

It's the people who come around, read these so called top 10 items, leave and come back to talk about their dead birds. Example --unweaned birds.

Example---seriously clipped birds that brak their bones.

OP---you mention something about it being great for new bird owners.

As far as me, I wouldn't give people a top 10 list since it's already there. The big secret---read through loads of info that's been put on the board by people who really care about the complexities of owning wild animals such as parrots.

I guess I was one that came on here to talk about my dead bird. Was I a "lazy" owner? I certainly didn't think so. I read the stickys and did my research before I purchased my bird. I guess if you don't post a lot here you are not a serious owner and don't care about your bird. i did enjoy these forums however. Hopefully I can find another just as good.

I guess I was one that came on here to talk about my dead bird. Was I a "lazy" owner? I certainly didn't think so. I read the stickys and did my research before I purchased my bird. I guess if you don't post a lot here you are not a serious owner and don't care about your bird. i did enjoy these forums however. Hopefully I can find another just as good.

I think you misread Dave's intention in his post. We all know that things happen and no matter how hard we try, our bird may die for some reason which is beyond our control.

As for your statement regarding not posting here a lot or not being a serious owner...that's crazy talk! We welcome ALL members, those who post a little or a lot, many different opinions. Perhaps if you feel you would be happier at another forum.....your decision. :)

My take is that we all have been know to look for shortcuts once in a while so I understand why one would look for a quickie list for life with a Grey. Nothing however will take the place of experience, research and good advice from fellow Grey besotted folks on this board.

“A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.”

That’s what the first definition of forum is on Wikipedia. I joined this forum July 19,2010 to learn, share and discuss ideas. I however did not join this forum to watch people being berated because of a difference of opinion, or a simple suggestion. I am aware that there are various “stickys” around in certain categories etc. However some of the members of this forum have not necessarily been here long enough to know that or have been able to explore each individual room and topic as you have. That does not make them any less of a good parrot owner, nor you, more of an expert in all things African Grey. It especially does not give you the right to insinuate that because someone has not read a specific thread is lazy, or misinformed. I would also think that a little compassion is due to the people that have lost their pet, instead of the “you got what you deserved” attitude.

How about trying to help people get educated, instead of bullying them into looking for another forum?

I think an area with some FAQ’s that has links to these said stickys is a great idea (thanks Twix) and would be great for these people that “are gone with the wind” to utilize and find the answers that they are looking for there, instead of repeating a thread that has been addressed. This just might eliminate some confusion, and maybe help some of the visitors get answers. Also, who cares if there are hundreds of people that float through the forum and ask questions, maybe it has saved a Grey’s life or inspired someone to change their way of thinking. It is after all about the birds, and not status on a forum.

I believe that no one was being slighted just redirected to what we already have available. Repetition can make it more difficult to find things after a while if we just keep on re posting, that is why we have sticky's and we ofter refer people needing information in that direction. This year ther seems to be less war like behavior than I have seen in the past so I hope we can all rethink & reassess before we get offended as no offense is intended. Smile and keep on loving these Grey birds and friends. I like your suggestion of making an area to find all these items in one place.

Everyone wants to "jack in" and "download" all things good for their Grey directly to their head and have it there for all time. That can be said for everything really. I'd love to warp to work and back to eliminate the travel time. I totally get that. I have made posts like this myself where I would just love to have a one stop for all the right information. I think it just has to be resolved that the 'one-stop' is this site and not a single post. I think it's the best we are going to do. :) Not too large of a distinction really. Hopefully that helps. :)

That's what forums are all about Bran :) But humans in general are complicated species & each one has his/her own personality. I have seen the same situation in all the forums i've been to. It will never end and you just have to ignore the comments you don't like. It is also in our nature that sometimes we can't help ourselves not to reply lol

That's what forums are all about Bran :) But humans in general are complicated species & each one has his/her own personality. I have seen the same situation in all the forums i've been to. It will never end and you just have to ignore the comments you don't like. It is also in our nature that sometimes we can't help ourselves not to reply lol

I hear ya! I was always taught "it's not what you say, it's how you say it", and I think sometimes the delivery could be one of kindness, and not judgmental. I usually don't get involved in disagreements, but I felt like I read the same post, and was just as offended as OtheG. Besides, I really didn't think there was anything wrong with your suggestion, in fact I really liked it. It would be nice to have links to all of the stickys that are rated as important, and in having that it may stop someone from making a fatal mistake.

You know if I see something I want to save on the forum, I just print it out or I copy it and paste it in my personsal documents on my computer for my own information. I believe Dave007 has done a great job of making health threads and making them stickies in the Health Room where they should be. I also believe there is a sticky of poisonous food in the Food Room where it belongs. As for favorite foods all greys are different so each grey likes something different so a list is impossible to make of the 10 favorite foods. There is also a thread of behavioral changes at different ages for greys also that DanM made long ago. So all the things you want are all here in the rooms they belong in and all you have to do is search and read. If you want a thread of all these things then make one for yourself or to share if you like.

You know if I see something I want to save on the forum, I just print it out or I copy it and paste it in my personsal documents on my computer for my own information. I believe Dave007 has done a great job of making health threads and making them stickies in the Health Room where they should be. I also believe there is a sticky of poisonous food in the Food Room where it belongs. As for favorite foods all greys are different so each grey likes something different so a list is impossible to make of the 10 favorite foods. There is also a thread of behavioral changes at different ages for greys also that DanM made long ago. So all the things you want are all here in the rooms they belong in and all you have to do is search and read. If you want a thread of all these things then make one for yourself or to share if you like.

I don't want anything! I only suggested something! Please forget about it, chill and let's move on & i don't want anyone to get offended in here. We are all friends and nice people who are after sharing moments and info about AFRICAN GREY parrots. That's all :) So i am closing this thread :P

threadclosed.jpg