NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pak O Bird

Amali

Does anyone use one? Like it?

I broke down and ordered one today so I could start taking Amali on walks without her feeling insecure out in the open in just a harness. I'm excited for it to come in and see how she likes it!

• 2 weeks later...

Amali had her first outing in the Pak O Bird today. I was really surprised that she went right in with no issue and no stress upon her first time seeing it. We went in the truck and then went out to the tank to hang out while the kiddo and hubby fished. It was really hot out so I made sure she had water - even gave her some ice cubes and misted her a little. And she seemed to enjoy it all - checking everything out and just taking it in. I think we will get lots of use out of this new gadget!

You hear so many things about Greys being phobic and nervous, but I'm truly starting to wonder that if we don't approach them that way when they are babies, will it affect their attitude down the line? I never approach Amali thinking that something is going to be scary for her; I talk to her, tell her what I have or what I'm doing and stay relaxed myself. With this approach, she really seems to take to things much easier than I'd have thought if I just went off things you 'hear'. I had not even kept the Pak O Bird in her sight before using it as I had just set it up a day or two prior. Then the plan to go fishing was a last minute one, and just like that, I thought, Amali should go! So I pulled the backpack out, got Amali out of her cage, told her what we were doing, and set her on the perch. She never missed a beat.

I forgot I took a few pictures that day - the one with the door open is literally within one minute of placing her in the Pak o Bird. The other - though hard to see - is her in the back seat of the truck, and she's chomping away on a snack. Clearly she was pretty relaxed!

photo (4).jpg

photo (5).jpg

Oh ... and the only thing I'm kicking myself over now is not ordering the double bird pack so that Amali and Tucker can both go at the same time! I will end up breaking down and buying a second one no doubt - but don't tell my hubby that. ;) Ha!

How high up is the perch from the bottom? I don't know about my little guy but the zon used to love being able to see out the window. I think I could make a stand that I could belt in using the car seat tether clips and use the seat belt to secure the carrier.

I have a pak-o bird, but I introduced it too soon and Gracie wasn't ready.Now after six months of trust and love it may be time to try again!

If I decide to go with the Pac-o-bird I am lucky that the shop has them in stock and can introduce it now. I do plan on outings right away so that those are also routine and no big deal. For now anyway his personality is "I wanna see" and he loves people. He is not reserved at all.