NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Just purchased a female african grey, my first parrot!

THanks Aerial, I guess we have to take it day by day to see how everything falls into place. I plan to take her home the first weekend in July, she will be 4months. She's already making lots of different noises, which makes me think she will be a talker, i hope. How do you handle the showers?

Hello Jrsygrl and welcome to our family, sorry it took me so long to answer your thread.

You have already been given some good advice so I will answer your last question, if you cover your bird cage at night just use a flat sheet, I have black ones I use for this purpose, they are cheap and easy to clean so no need to buy those expensive covers they make, my greys cage is large so I use the king size sheet. I use newspaper on the bottom of the cages, it can be easily replaced with clean paper and you can observe the color and consistency of poops that way, of course all their cages have the grates in the bottom to keep them from getting to the paper.

THanks Aerial, I guess we have to take it day by day to see how everything falls into place. I plan to take her home the first weekend in July, she will be 4months. She's already making lots of different noises, which makes me think she will be a talker, i hope. How do you handle the showers?

well i can tell you this much .... alot of greys dont like the showers ... or least squawk n make a fuss ... I bought a mister and i have a little stand that i put in the shower and that works GREAT but its a very fine mist. I started this while shes young getting her used to and only once a week on like the weekends when Im home with her. When I shower I bring her in the bathroom with me and put her on the curtain rod and talk to her and as of late shes let me put her in the stream of water there too :D but not for long ... so just work with her! Ive even had her on the end of the wand that goes on my hose outside for watering the flowers and pointed it upward with the mister on and she sat on the wand and loved it! :D then we do the whole "whos a wet bird" and I let her look in the mirror ... I think its just getting a routine with them so that they get comfortable with it :D good luck

Paradise is home, initially we were going to bring her home the weekend of July 7th, but my husband & I were too anxious. We took a feeding session and we did good, she's on 2 feeding daily, the first day was a bit difficult, but this morning we did better, she ate almost everything.

Thanks Judy, we decided to cover her, and that's exactly what i did, I used a flat sheet, and it worked great. I just want to make sure she gets her sleep, she didn't even make a peep once we covered the cage and when we removed it in the am, she started baby bird language, lol. As for the bottom of the cage, I purchased the white wrapping paper from a moving company, this also worked out. I got the idea fro someone on this forum. She's doing great, she's exploring her cage.

Jeff & Ariel, we haven't started the shower yet, the breeder says we should wait an entire week before we introduce any type of shower, so I will do that. I will definitely, keep you posted. My plan is to buy a spray bottle and take it slow. Today, I will go home and give her some fruit.