NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My first CAG

Hi there really happy to have my first CAG home.

And glad to be a part of this community.

Since its first CAG need a lot of help from you guys.

My CAG is 6 months old

1. What wud be the best diet for him. I am currently giving him mixed seeds which the shop guy had given me, apart from that I have started given him water melon, apple and broccoli but a very little portion, which he enjoyed eating, he is 6 months now and I am really confused on what to feed him.

2. I have 2 budgies and 2 peach faced love birds also, I have read that the cags won't learn to talk if he has other birds around him, is that true.

Really important for me to know the answers fr the above ASAP .. Thanks in advance

Hi and welcome to the forum. The best info on diet is in the 'Bird Food' room. Start with the stickies at the top of the page. Lots of info there. As for talking, no that's not true. Lots of people here have other birds and their greys are talkers. Just talk to your bird, read aloud to him, tell him what you're doing etc... Does your new CAG have a name?

1---What wud be the best diet for him. I am currently giving him mixed seeds which the shop guy had given me, apart from that I have started given him water melon, apple and broccoli but a very little portion, which he enjoyed eating, he is 6 months now and I am really confused on what to feed him.

The best diet for most parrots including greys is all types of Veggies( green, darker the better). Very little fruit! Fruit is acidic and isn't nourishing. Use as a treatA decent parrot mix that contains different types of seed, some pellets and certain types of human food, different types of nuts except peanuts. Veggies can be given in larger portions but they need to be removed after a few hours because they go bad. Your parrot should have food available 24/7. With parrots, there is no breakfast , lunch or supper. They eat all day long.

2. I have 2 budgies and 2 peach faced love birds also, I have read that the cags won't learn to talk if he has other birds around him, is that true.

Not true but teaching a grey how to talk involves talking to the bird while doing related things. They'll imitate what a person says when they see what the person does or did. They learn to talk all day long but the things they learn have nothing to do with people, just sounds. They also speak in their own language much more than they speak human language. That's the language they obtained from nature.

Edited by Dave007