NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Still plucking and biting

luvgrey

I wrote several weeks ago about our 2 yr. old grey plucking under his wing. I had noted that the vet put him on a med like a birdie prozac (vet term). After one week we could not deal with having to towel him and stressing him out. Dave recommended Aloe Vera juice which I found in WalMart $4 cheaper than at Walgreens. I spray it many times a day and he is still plucking/chewing under his one wing to the point it is one-quarter gone. It is hard to spray him because he is like a Boa and can strike out at you when you least expect it; he bites at me all the time and I am the "hand that feeds him." Dave recommended Avitec.com for a spray - which one would I purchase for this problem? Thanks for any help you can give us - we are still trying to help him.

Go up to the Bathing --pt 1 and pt 2 Stickys. The information there applies to all misting ( no matter what you're misting.) as well as bathing. There's different instructions and methods of doing misting. Your bird fits into one of those catagories. Plucking or chewing doesn't go away overnight. It takes a while.

Now, as far as the aloe Vera juice and the Avitech company-------I would only said to uase the juice to soften the skin, make it more pliable and possiby make the areas less itchy. I never would have said that it would cure plucking. There's no product on the market that does that but there are stronger products on the market that help a bird to lessen plucking which may eventually cause your bird to tire of the plucking due to the better skin tone.

You ask **Dave recommended Avitec.com for a spray - which one would I purchase for this problem?***

There's only one product that Avitec sells for plucking. I have a feeling that you didn't see my instructions on what to buy when you went there so I'll repeat it.

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

=================================================

If the biting is related to him being extremely agitated, that will lessen too but right now deal with one thing at a time.

Thank you so much for this information - I knew that there is no magic way to stop this chewing/plucking . I did not get the impression you said that Aloe would stop it altogether - I realized you were saying this would help the skin and maybe, just maybe he would stop. I think that he is into this like a compulsive thing now....I will get the recommended product you wrote about. He has always been a biter, more with me than my husband. He is not the type of bird that you would ever feel comfortable holding him for any length of time - no one will never try it except my husband. We are willing to try everything to help him get over this. I appreciate your qualified opinion in all matters - thank you.