NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from SandyinFlorida

Hello all. Newbie SandyinFlorida here. I have a 5 y/o CAG I got about 6 weeks ago. He was very much loved by his old mommy but had become cagebound. She had moved into a 5th wheel about a year and a half ago and stopped letting her birds out of their cages. (She also had a Blue front Amazon, 3, and a Severe Macaw, 4) She wanted them all to have a home with more freedom.

I went over to see the parrots without being set on which one to get. As I told her, let's see which one picks me. Snoopy, my CAG, couldn't take his eyes off us. He was the male and the others were female. I was intimidated by the Macaw and was trying to bond with the Amazon. She was terrified of me. Snoopy, on the other hand, came right up and when I offered my hand he bit gently and then harder when I didn't pull away. He did this a couple of times. I told her I wasn't sure about being able to deal with a large parrot. I had only had a Quaker up until then. She ha offered me all 3 for a very small price with the triple cage, but that was probably too much for me and my husband to deal with at once.

Well, after I sent the e-mail saying I wasn't going to get one, I couldn't stop thinking about Snoopy. She was going to send them all to her stepfather out of town, but thankfully, that fell through and I got Snoopy. He is AWESOME. I am really enjoying him and trying to learn as much as I can about Greys. I appreciate you all being here.

Hello and welcome to the family, Sandy, we are glad you joined and so glad you rescued this grey from his predicament. That is so sad when this happens and I hope the other two birds get good loving homes also.

I know you are going to love it here, we feel like a real second family and love to hear about each other's greys and it will be the same with you.

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask us anything, we will do our best to get you an answer and help you in any way we can.

You did the right thing in not pulling away when he bit you, he was testing you to see if you were afraid of him and now that he knows you aren't he probably won't try that again. Isn't it super special when they pick us and not the other way around.

If you have a photo of him you would like to post please do, we love to admire each other's greys.

I look forward to hearing more about Snoopy and his transition to his new home.:)

Hi kiwibarb12 and everyone else! Thanks for asking about Snoopy. I am afraid all my friends here are a little (lot) sick of me talking about him.

Snoopy is getting pretty cocky now. He spends most of his days on top of his cage surveying his kingdom. He has started to climb all the way down to the floor and take a stroll all around the room. No plant or pot is safe from him.

We are still building trust. If he is on the floor, he will step up very easily. From the cage, not so much yet. He has learned when it is time to go back in the cage. I tell him he has to "go home" and make a circle with my hand. Of course I explain to him why he has to go in - I'm going out, bedtime, I have to do laundry in the garage, etc. I would say he does it 3/4 of the time now.

We try to have Shoulder Time every day. I let him up and go around the house and tell him all about the other rooms and what they are used for. Then we sit on the screened patio so he can get some direct sunlight. He loves to drink my ice water while we are out there.

He was named when I got him and aptly so. He will beg from us anything we eat. He looks just like the Snoopy comic when he is being the vulture. Cracks me up!

He has stopped biting me for the most part. He usually will just "taste" me now. Although today we were on the patio getting sun and the cat wanted up. I let her jump up on the right side and held her far from Snoopy. He reached down and bit me on the arm. It was like he was saying it was HIS time now and put the cat down. He didn't break the skin but he got his message through just the same.

I am very excited he will be getting a great new cage tomorrow. It is from the WPIC PET STORE on Ebay. Great deal! I'll let you know how he likes it.

Sandy, glad you could update us on Snoopy and it sounds like it is going well for you and him. He found out biting you was not going to make you go away and so he quit and the bite when the cat was there was his way of alerting you to the danger of it.

You seem to be doing an excellent job of working with him and starting to build the bond and trust that is so necessary for a good relationship with a grey.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing more about the adventures of Snoopy.:P<br><br>Post edited by: judygram, at: 2007/10/01 03:12

We never tire of hearing about each other greys, and especially a new one in a family that just joined so you talk about him all you want, we will listen and comment.

The bond of trust takes time to build so don't rush it or worry about it, give Snoopy time and lots of patience and you will be rewarded with his love for a lifetime of happiness.

Hi kiwibarb12 and everyone else! Thanks for asking about Snoopy. I am afraid all my friends here are a little (lot) sick of me talking about him.

Snoopy is getting pretty cocky now. He spends most of his days on top of his cage surveying his kingdom. He has started to climb all the way down to the floor and take a stroll all around the room. No plant or pot is safe from him.

We are still building trust. If he is on the floor, he will step up very easily. From the cage, not so much yet. He has learned when it is time to go back in the cage. I tell him he has to "go home" and make a circle with my hand. Of course I explain to him why he has to go in - I'm going out, bedtime, I have to do laundry in the garage, etc. I would say he does it 3/4 of the time now.

We try to have Shoulder Time every day. I let him up and go around the house and tell him all about the other rooms and what they are used for. Then we sit on the screened patio so he can get some direct sunlight. He loves to drink my ice water while we are out there.

He was named when I got him and aptly so. He will beg from us anything we eat. He looks just like the Snoopy comic when he is being the vulture. Cracks me up!

He has stopped biting me for the most part. He usually will just "taste" me now. Although today we were on the patio getting sun and the cat wanted up. I let her jump up on the right side and held her far from Snoopy. He reached down and bit me on the arm. It was like he was saying it was HIS time now and put the cat down. He didn't break the skin but he got his message through just the same.

I am very excited he will be getting a great new cage tomorrow. It is from the WPIC PET STORE on Ebay. Great deal! I'll let you know how he likes it.