NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello form a new grey owner from the uk

hi, i got my grey yesterday from a loving home , unfourtantly circumstances meant they was unable to keep her.

she seems a lot more subdued today than yesterday, her feathers are all ruffeld and she looks shattered.

i have read the posts about not changing her name, but the whole family really dislike her name and she is way to pretty to be called gomaz so we are wanting to call her gracie.

whats the best way to get her settled, i have three dogs that are curious but they have been very good, that she wont be used to. she has not made any sounds today. i know its very early days, but i want her to be happy

Hi naya and welcome to the gery forum.

Give your new grey a chance to settle in. Every thing is new to her and she will need some time.

Every time you go by her cage say hello in a calm voice, sit by her cage and talk to her, offer some treats and make her feel wanted and she will come around.

It just takes "time".

Welcome Naya and thanks for taking in a grey in need of a home. It will take a few days ro weeks to settle in and get used to the new surroundings and family. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing photos and videos. :)

The most important thing with a bird whether it's a baby or a re-home is to establish trust and that takes time. Let her observe her new flock, talk to her, let her know what's going on. Just don't push her and don't expect too much too soon. Oh, and take it easy on the grapes, no more than one a day. Too much sugar isn't good. Does she have other treats she likes that you can use as rewards?

decided to keep the name gomaz as my son said he heard her say it when i was out, i will get used to it :-) she seems to be settling in well she is eating well and preening and playing with her toys and new toys. but she isnt making any sounds. apart from very very occaisionly, mainly when im out the house :-(

decided to keep the name gomaz as my son said he heard her say it when i was out, i will get used to it :-) she seems to be settling in well she is eating well and preening and playing with her toys and new toys. but she isnt making any sounds. apart from very very occaisionly, mainly when im out the house :-(

I think you are smart for keeping the name gomez Im sure over time you will come up with a shorter version of it that you will like and start calling her that like my puppy is cricket but I call her crickety crick ... LOL you could call your baby go-me lol anyways or gomez'er :D play with it.

and as far as talking i can totally relate :rolleyes: the neighbor who checks on marco during the day is always reporting that when hes there marco is saying words :mad: but i never hear it either :( I think she does alot more of her whistling and sqwaking when im in the other room too when Im home ... she doesnt "talk" alot since shes only 5 mo but she does know like 2 words that just pop out from time to time but never when Im there LOLOL