NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Problem with Cages by Design cages...

UndeadMisfit

So I bought a cage early march from Cages by design for my TAG...Got the cage itself and what not about 3 weeks later the rest of the parts (screws, playtop, food bowls etc) in early May..around the 5th.

I put it up and everything and everythings all well. But now I'm finding rust on the joints....it hasn't even been 2 weeks since it's been fully put together and there's rust on it!

What should I do about it? It's only the joints but still I wouldn't like her to be around it even if it's a little bit. Is there something I can do to get rid of the rust? Or is buying a new one the only option?

Because it's the joints I don't know if re-powder coating it would help since it'd be hard to get in there, not to mention I'm not even sure if power coating can be down in the little Island I'm from.

Any advice would be grateful...

• 2 weeks later...
So I bought a cage early march from Cages by design for my TAG...Got the cage itself and what not about 3 weeks later the rest of the parts (screws, playtop, food bowls etc) in early May..around the 5th.

I put it up and everything and everythings all well. But now I'm finding rust on the joints....it hasn't even been 2 weeks since it's been fully put together and there's rust on it!

What should I do about it? It's only the joints but still I wouldn't like her to be around it even if it's a little bit. Is there something I can do to get rid of the rust? Or is buying a new one the only option?

Because it's the joints I don't know if re-powder coating it would help since it'd be hard to get in there, not to mention I'm not even sure if power coating can be down in the little Island I'm from.

Any advice would be grateful...

Was the problem corrected?

Cage by Design service is great.

I bought one of their cages from their under 500.00 dollar cages and it was at my house in two days. The cage had a bad latch and I called them and I had a new latch in a day and a half.

They were great to deal with.

• 6 months later...

Thanks Ray P. Did you buy one of their hybrid cages? I work full time and since Henry spends most of his time in the cage, I'd like to help contain his mess for keeping the house cleaner. When i'm home, he is always out, but when i'm not i'd like a nice cage that keeps his mess where it should be.

Hi henrycag.

We did not buy a hybrid but a large free standing cage with a clamshell top that opens.

For me they were great people to work with.

When the cage came it had one bad latch and I called them and I had a new latch in two days.

I could use the cage until the new latch came as it was on the clamshell top and corky could not open it.

It was a great cage at a good price.

We purchased a 4x2x6 Hybrid cage in July 2012. It has a mural on the back, sliding acrylic doors on the front, and on the sides, we customized it as follows: we put acrylic on the bottom 2ft and stainless steel on the upper 4ft. This cost more, but we wanted to contain the mess and keep our 4 dogs out of our CAGs droppings and debris, while still having maximum interaction and sound/air exchange. We filled the cage with manzanita branches that I ordered from Manzanita Burlworks. I also hung an extra large boing in the cage so that if Jake falls, he can climb back up. This setup has worked great. Jake is 9 mos old and he loves his cage. The enclosed feeders and the two feet of acrylic on the bottom 2ft of the sides helps contain all mess except for the down feathers that fly from a molt. And, as a bird owner, you know that down feathers will fly regardless of the cage ... and if they don't ... then the cage is probably sealed too tightly and not healthy for your fid.

The Hybrid cages are quite expensive and not practical for many people (this is the first really expensive cage I've ever owned). We like the mobility of the Hybrid as it comes with heavy-duty casters. We have been very happy with our purchase. Fortunately, we happen to live 20 minutes from Cages By Design (which I didn't know until starting to research cages) so we were able to go to their office and see the different cages in person before purchasing. The Magestic cages are beautiful but we wanted something more reasonable in price and mobile.

You can see a pic of our cage on my profile. The pic doesn't have the boing in it, but I can take additional pics or answer additional questions if you'd like. Good luck with your decision. Although I haven't posted much since joining this sight, I've learned a lot and followed lots of tidbits of wisdom from all the great people here.