NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

step up training update!!

Momo

guys..thanks for all the reply!

okay the nipping stop today.instead of bite/nip me when he on top of cage, he run away avoiding my hand.

is this a good sign or a bad sign?

why he really love to be on top of his cage?i dont see any interesting thing there!arghhhh this is start to driving me crazy :(

Momo... we all have different opinions. I believe, all birds need to learn " stepup." In my opinion, it is the number one command, they need to master. I don;t teach them with treats. Although, I can understand reinforcing the behavior with treats. I just never did so. : stepup", is an important " tool", for birds to learn. They learn to socialize. I also believe in teaching all my birds... below my height. It works for us, but many disagree. I'm good with that, but if my birds are challenging me, I'm always going to be taller, and I always win. ( a stepstool works wonders!) Nancy

hi nancy,i dont teach him with treat as well because he is so nervous to take the treats,lol. i dont know i think he has phobia on food and scared of them.

and for step up training below height,i could be possible.it dsnt work on momo(he react the same when he is up/down) but i saw with my own eyes its work for my friend.

his grey is very stubborn and putting the bird down is the only way to make his bird obey the command.

mmmm its interesting... :)

If Momo responds when he is lower than you is probably because your body is positioned better. When Momo is not above your shoulder your hand is steadier, your more comfortable, not reaching and your confidence is felt by Momo through your own body language. He hasn't been with you long enough to know just how much he is loved, that you wouldn't hurt him and how far you would go to protect him. There is no magic time table for that either. Its love and time.

We all entitled to disagree about height. It worked for us, and I am a firm believer teaching a new bird, you need to be taller! Hasn't been an issue for years, but when Kiki went thru a molt this year... she was a nightmare! Even Sophie learned to give her space. When she ran across to cages on top to attack my fingers... I waited for her. It didn't happen... but she really wanted to bite me. Next day, stepstool was back. I was taller once again, she was fine. Had to do this for three weeks. Eventually, everything went back to normal.

We learn what works for our birds. Nancy