NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

refusing his feeding!!!!

makita725

Lido doesnt seem to want to eat today, normally he has been on 3 feedings a day for the past few days about 50cc a feeding. He has never given me a hard time about eating, but today he is. At his morning feeding he only took about 20cc and started spitting it out. He has been eating quite a bit of seed so I didnt worry too much. I just tried to feed him again, his crop is empty and once again I had to struggle to get him to take 25cc. He seems fine, is nice and active and babbling. Just wondering if I should be concerned or if its just possible he isnt hungry.

Lido doesnt seem to want to eat today, normally he has been on 3 feedings a day for the past few days about 50cc a feeding. He has never given me a hard time about eating, but today he is. At his morning feeding he only took about 20cc and started spitting it out. He has been eating quite a bit of seed so I didnt worry too much. I just tried to feed him again, his crop is empty and once again I had to struggle to get him to take 25cc. He seems fine, is nice and active and babbling. Just wondering if I should be concerned or if its just possible he isnt hungry.

How old is the bird?

Guest candismalli

your other post states that Lido is 9 weeks old. According to the feeding schedule at the top sticky post on this room at 10 wks they move to 2 feedings a day. I am not experienced enough to know if it is normal to wean the 1 feeding a week early, I only have experience with my one Grey. I would suggest you switch to pellets though instead of seed, and veggies too. Seed is not a good diet for them, in the wild they only get it for one season and they need that extra energy because they are flying a lot. Pellets & fresh food are better also check the food room for lots of healthy foods to feed your fid. It will be easier to switch him now that later because they will refuse and want to stay on the seed which is less healthy

So, someone posted that your bird is 9 wks old. I was waiting for your answer. As a parrot gets older their desire for constant large amounts of formula lessens. When that time comes, a bird will refuse a feeding or accept very little of that feeding. As time goes on, the bird will refuse more and more until he totally refuses any formula. There's no set age when this happens although it rarely happens to a bird that's 15 weeks or less. So a little experimentation is needed here. Lessen the amount of formula in each feeding or stop one of those feedings altogether. Replace with fresh foods that are soft such as green veggies. You can have pellets around but I wouldn't count on pellets as far as healthy food especially a baby parrot. There's ways to give veggies--cooked, raw, steamed. That's another experiment.

Thank you Dave, sorry for the delay in responding. He just went from 4 feedings to 3 feedings a day. He is eating alot of pelets as well as fruits, veggies and seed. I will trying your suggestions and let everyone know how things are going.

Doing well!~ Listen to your baby. They make the final decision, what they need. I always weaned according to what my bird needed. Kiki our Amazon, took six months to fully wean. She is the best eater now. LOVES fresh fruits and veggies. Sometimes, they just want an extra syringe, or spoonful of yougurt. Nancy