NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

self mutilation

tarheelgal

Ok I am resigned to the fact that my cag is a plucker have tried everything under the sun and the avian vet says medically he is healthy. well he plucks till he bleads under his wing and then he picks at it. around and around we go vet gave me collar well I put it on him and when everything is healed it usually comes back off but right back he goes. My question does anyone else have this problem and if so do you ever take the collar off it just looks to cruel and he has a hard time with it.

Ok I am resigned to the fact that my cag is a plucker have tried everything under the sun and the avian vet says medically he is healthy. well he plucks till he bleads under his wing and then he picks at it. around and around we go vet gave me collar well I put it on him and when everything is healed it usually comes back off but right back he goes. My question does anyone else have this problem and if so do you ever take the collar off it just looks to cruel and he has a hard time with it.

Yes, he could be a plucker but as far as your question concerning those collars, most people feel that they're very uncomfortable for the bird. It's hard for a bird to eat or drink or move around easily. Most people remove them. You've had it on and it doesn't work because he starts all over again? So why put it back on? It's not working.

Now as far as what you said about trying everything-------exactly what did you try?

Sorry to hear about your bird plucking. The more info you can give Dave007 the more help he can provide. He has the most experience/knowledge on this issue on the forum, IMHO. One thing I do know, they feed off our stress. I know it's hard, but just take some deep breaths and be calm and happy around your baby, and provide lots of distractions like foraging toys and toys for destroying. Please let us know what you've tried already so that we can help.