NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

The Grey Bite-Now I Understand

JeffNOK

I have had my CAG Gracie for about 5 months. I love her to death and we are getting very close. When I first got her she would occassionally bite/nip me. She hasn't even nipped in the last couple of months. What I thought were "bites" before, I realize were nothing at all! Tonight she was playing on a rope net that I got her recently. She loves it. It has little wodden blocks woven into it, and she loves climbing all over it. Well, this time she got tangled up in it. Her feet were caught in the webbing and her neck was wrapped up in the rope. She started to panic and I went to help her.She stepped up, but somehow I just couldn't figure out how to untangle her. She was struggling and I feared she might strangle herself so I got some scissors to cut the rope and free her. That just scared her more and as I tried to cut the rope she bit the BEJESSUS out of my finger! To say that this was a hard bite would be an understatement. It almost brought me to my knees. Somehow as I pulled my hand away, I also pulled Gracie out her tangled mess and she was free. My finger looks like a bleeding over-ripe plum. OMG! I had no idea she was capable of that! I know it was fear and afterwards I gave her lots of treats and we sang and whistled together. Everything is fine, but....WOW! Who knew? I think I can now safely join the "parrot bite me" club. I've earned it.

Hi! I got Dorothy a little before you got Gracie. They are around the same age though I think. I always like to read your posts because I feel like our girls are about the same as far as maturity. I haven't really gotten a bad bite from Dorothy, she is pretty gentle. HOWEVER, my amazon Kiwi has a bite like what you just described. She has never bitten me without drawing blood! It is painful!!!!! I try and stay calm however I am about to cry every time she nails me. Bandaids are always needed and there have been a couple of times that I have had a scar last weeks and weeks! The only time that I have gotten what I would call any type of true bite from Dorothy is one time when she was slipping from the java tree when we first got it and she got kind of wedged in it. She was so scared, so I'm sure that is what happened with Gracie. It was great that you gave her treats and played afterward. You and Gracie have a great relationship, it's always fun to hear you talk about her!

Ouchie!!!! I feel your pain and truly understand the adrenaline that both you and Gracie put out. Sterling Gris got caught in a small link long chain and the terror in his screams and the bites I endured while untangling him will not soon be forgotten. Thank the Lord you were home to help Gracie. I believe she understands what you were trying to do and your bond will be stronger. Sterling Gris was all cuddly and happy after his ordeal and I believe Gracie also understands your love for her.

You know it's funny. After the incident was finished I kept showing Gracie my bleeding finger hoping for some remorse, but she had none to give. As I said, we had our treat time and sang and whistled together, but I guess an apology was not in the offering. Dogs are so different. If they think they have done something wrong they become so apologetic and remorseful and give kisses and tail wags to be sure the relationship is restored. With Gracie it was more like--"Let's just forget this happened, but I stand by my bite". Ahh the world of Greys.

Rumor has it that a Grey and other same-sized parrots' beak PSI is around 100 to 200. Your Macaws exceed 500 PSI. Have you have ever seen a Macaw crack a macadamia nut or bite through a red palm nut? A Grey can take out a chunk of flesh as deep and as wide as his upper and lower mandible. You now have battle scars, welcome...

Oh Man Jeff, what a way to experience your first true bite. As you suspected and others commented on, it was nothing personal. She was freaked out and in survival mode. Your hand or anything else near her at the time was just another threat or possible thing to latch on to and pull herself out of the entanglement. It was noting personal whatsoever, it was pure survival. They will chew their own legs off if needed to get free or die hanging there. Therefore, no remorse on her part and no sense of having done anything wrong. She probably figures to herself "You don't hinder me while I am busy trying to free myself, so get over it Jeff". :P

Anyway, welcome to your first Real Bite and the bite me club! :)

What a scary ordeal. I am glad Gracie wasn't hurt in the crisis and sorry your finger took the brunt of her fear. I get the lack of remorse though. At first when Gilbert would bite me, he would gently say sorry over and over again. The hardest bite yet was completely calculated and without remorse. It is almost like "I didn't bite you, you inserted your finger in the vicinity of my closing beak". In all seriousness though, Gracie was so caught up, literally, that she probably doesn't even realize she bit you nor connect the bloodied finger with her struggle.

Glad you & Gracie survived this intact! So sorry to hear about your finger though, I remember the first real bite I got from Biscotti ( I wasn't "saving" him- he was just in a mood ) and it is a real awakening if you have never had a real hard bite before! Hope you finger heals quickly & welcome to the "bite-me" club, yours was well earned! :)

Wow, poor you. I can say with 2 greys, I can feel your pain! We have all at one time or another experienced a similar episode, and it can be a shock at how painful it is. You can't get mad at them, as they are only using their instincts in a scary situation, they don't realize it is YOU they are biting.......

That was certainly scary for both of you but thankfully she doesn't hold it against you, all was forgiven but an apology is something you will never get from a grey, imagine yourself in her place and you might think you got off scot free.

pics or it didnt happen... just kidding.

the other night i had luna on my shoulder and she was nibbling my ear, and to be honest it felt kinda good. well i had to get up to get more tea and took her off my shoulder. i see her beak is red... wtf. my wife is sitting next to me and i ask her to look at my ear, she does and freaks out. WHAT DID SHE DO TO YOUR EAR!!!! so im like oh crap, i put her in her cage and go to the bathroom. my ear looks like it was butcherd. covered in blood!!! my wife cleaned it up and saw two puncture holes in the the folds of my ear.... i didnt feel a thing!!!

Oh, poor Gracie, and poor finger. I know the way they are when they start to panic like that. It happened once with Dorian and a rope toy. It was years ago, but I can still remember his awful scream. Hope I never hear it again.

If Gracie likes playing with and chewing rope toys they can fray and snag our babies. Dorian loves rope, so I switch the rope in all his toys to 100% cotton Supreme rope. It costs more because instead of fraying it comes apart in tufts, sort of like a cotton ball, but it's still strong enough to make a swinging toy from. They're a lot less likely to get snagged in this type of rope, and it seems to have worked here so far. It comes in different widths and is used specifically in bird-safe toys. All Dorians toys are made from this rope except his comfy perches and his boing, and I keep a close eye on them for fraying.

Hope your finger is feeling better.

Edited by Acappella

Acappella is correct, I have had some terrifying moments with the boing rope toys, they are under my watch all the time, I cut the frayed rope away and replace them as needed. Talon once got here foot stuck and we went thru that horrible screaming and a few bites trying to flee her....never again tho!

Actually, it's very constructive to be seriously bitten by a parrot because it seems that answers are actually just one's opinion. Pain is the true add on. Whether collective or independent, if the conclusion to the question is sufficient to smooth over the rough waves of the soul and mind, then the conclusion is deemed holy. Oh how we grasp at anything that might rationalize our glee or our sorrow when watching the dripping of the vibrant red blood. Coloring will prevail. The primate will be ruled by the homosapien species.

Edited by Dave007

I've also had to rescue my bird from a safety hazard. The blinds. Kiki was tangled, had to cut the blinds( it hurt... custom made). I then removed all blinds, curtains on the lower half of the house. Many years ago, but I remain happy about my choices. Birds much safer, windows without treatments look great too! I didn't suffer a bite, as she was unaware of the dangerous situation she was in. But I can understand, if Kiki knew or felt the danger, she would have bit. Nancy

Edited by kins2321@yahoo.com