NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing....

Wingy

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for the kind words. He is such a joy and has made my life richer. On a side note the vet is also interested in his red coloring and was going to try and speak with the breeder about his lineage. We are now seeing red fringed feathers across his chest and down his back. Once he starts molting I'm going to save all the red tipped ones I can find and make a decoupage picture frame out of them.

• 2 weeks later...

We are starting to hear some words between the mumbles, whistles and noises. Today we definitely heard "hey there, quack quack, and helloooooo". He has picked up the squeak in the outside door, the yap and cry of the neighbors nasty little mutt, the tweets of birds on the National Geographic channel and is working on whistling the theme from Andy Griffith. His favorite movie is Snow White and he gets all excited when he hears yodeling.

Today I went back through your thread from the start and I went to see every picture and video of Jake. He is such an energetic and outgoing baby. I can't wait to see what he is going to be like in a year or two. He really plays with his toys with gusto. I loved all the sweet little baby sounds and then the sound effects in the videos you have at home. It is so exciting to watch Jake grow and thrive.

A big milestone this morning. Jake figured out how to climb down from the top of his cage to the door. There is a large gap between the playtop rail and the side bars so I attached a rope perch to the cage top and ran it down the side giving him a place to really grab on to. He's looked at it and maybe taken a step or 2 for weeks but this morning he went over the side. Now he just needs to figure out how to "round the corner" so he can get back into his palace. I've watched him look longingly through the bars of his playtop wanting toys that are in his cage but knew that he needed to figure out how to make that happen.

I picked up 2 of these puzzle toys at Pet Smart on clearance for $5.00 each. I figured they would sit for a while and eventually he might be interested in it. Nope he had it figured out and empty when I got home from work. Now I'll be looking at where to hang it for physical and mental challenges. icon-img-rings_of_fortune.jpg

I don't know if its the storm we are having or what but Jake has just been full of new things this morning. He has been battling toys in ways he never has before. He was laying on his back battling his hanging treat ball, climbing through his hanging hoops, exploring his new swing and attacking his duck from above instead of below. I had to stifle a laugh as he did a crouch walk under all his hanging toys and beat the snot out of anything that dare touch the back of his head.

I am so glad we ended up staying home this weekend. We were suppose to go away but work kicked my butt yesterday and I just hurt to badly to drive.

He is a joy and I love every minute we can spend together. I have never had a feather baby either so this is all new to me. I had 2 quakers (around 1 and 2 years old) and a 12 year old amazon and figured the experience would be similar but a baby is totally different. It is fascinating watching him learn.

The swiss chard is a hit. Jake is going to town on it. I'm not sure if he likes the stem or the leaf more. Its not the bite and throw either. In other news Jake has learned the annoying half meow the cat makes and it is his new favorite sound to make. He is doing it over and over and over. It makes me wonder what went on here today while I was at work.

The swiss chard is a hit. Jake is going to town on it. I'm not sure if he likes the stem or the leaf more. Its not the bite and throw either. In other news Jake has learned the annoying half meow the cat makes and it is his new favorite sound to make. He is doing it over and over and over. It makes me wonder what went on here today while I was at work.

Hi, remember, Swiss Chard, Spinach, is loaded with sodium....Thanks Jayd

Hi, your kale, carrot tops, mustard greens, dandelion greens are greyt for parrots, white Swiss chard, spinach, once a week. Chick peas ,[garbanzo beans] tomatoes, bind calcium, only once a week or so. Yes, I agree with you, new list....Thanks Wingy.

P.S. I'm going to do a thread inspired by you, hopefully soon....

Swiss Chard is perfectly ok for your grey. It has very high vitamin A, C and calcium nutritionally speaking. Everything in nature has sodium in it. As many have said, it is the balance of all in your greys diet that makes them a very healthy and happy bird. It's not like we or anyone feeds one thing everyday. The diets should be an abundant bounty of many different tastes, textures, colors etc. daily. If you fed your grey carrots, sweet potatoes and red palm oil everyday and they consumed it, they could end up with vitamin A poisoning. Thus, my opinion on maintaining a rich and ever changing daily diet so they receive a balanced refreshing of all important nutrients in a cyclical fashion that will keep your birds at optimal healthy levels.

Edited by danmcq

Thanks Dan, I agree with Dan completely as I stated, but some veggies rate lower on the list then others Swiss Chard being one of them, we've always feed Swiss chard and spinach to our fids, but in smaller amounts, feeding other dark green leafy veggies instead. Better safe than sorry....Thanks Jayd

This is what We base our opinion on:

Chard 36g, 77 mg sodium. Kale 67g, 29mg sodium, Mustard greens 56g, 14mg sodium.

Edited by Jayd

A good overall food break down that I have used for a long time to come up with various mixtures I provide combinations of on different days to keep my flock happy and healthy, can be found here: http://www.holisticbirds.com/pages/foodpp1002.htm

It gives all the facts on each type of food. There is a ton of accurate and good information out there on the web I personally use as a reference for changing up the diet which keeps them excited and looking forward to whats on the menu today. :)

Wingy, if Jake likes peppery, he might like any or all parts of a dandelion. I haven't had any problem finding them in a number of stores throughout most of the year. If you know someplace where you can pick them fertilizer & pesticide free, so much the better.

Swiss Chard is perfectly ok for your grey. It has very high vitamin A, C and calcium nutritionally speaking. Everything in nature has sodium in it. As many have said, it is the balance of all in your greys diet that makes them a very healthy and happy bird. It's not like we or anyone feeds one thing everyday. The diets should be an abundant bounty of many different tastes, textures, colors etc. daily. If you fed your grey carrots, sweet potatoes and red palm oil everyday and they consumed it, they could end up with vitamin A poisoning. Thus, my opinion on maintaining a rich and ever changing daily diet so they receive a balanced refreshing of all important nutrients in a cyclical fashion that will keep your birds at optimal healthy levels.

Trying to slog thru the more credible articles on nutrition can be enough to make your eyeballs bleed. Even if you're willing, 'the only thing 2 avian nutritionists can agree on is that the 3rd one has it wrong' (tu Sarasota :) ). And btw, the so called facts change ALL the time.

I agree w/most of Dan's post. Swiss Chard is a good food to incl in a grey diet. It, like every good thing has it's limits. A varied diet is the key to a healthy diet.

But I would respectfully tweak a couple of things. Swiss Chard would seem to be a good addition to a bird mash or bread. That could mean daily feeding when putting up months worth & freezing. Too much (whatever that may mean) could eventually become a problem however.

It's not a bad thing to know up front to be careful when feeding commercial pellets & any food that's particularly "high in..." You might limit chard, spinach, broccolli, beet greens & such when feeding w/regular commercial pellets because they're on the high side for iron. Unless the pellets are specifically "low iron", they're already likely overloaded w/iron sulphate.

How iron gets metabolized depends on a big bunch of factors. But too much can contribute to Iron Overload Disease, long term.

Thought these articles were good for explaining different things about this problem. I tried to list them in order of "digestibility". I don't Know that I agree w/everything in the first link. But it's one of the easiest explanations that I found. The second looks long & scary. But it's pretty straight forward & I think it has a big bunch of common sense observation. The Nashville Zoo is not an easy read, but might be worth the effort.

http://www.avianweb.com/ironstoragedisease.html

http://www.australeclectus.com/articles.cfm

http://www.nashvillezoo.org/piciformes/pdf/ironstorageinbirds.pdf

Edited by birdhouse