NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to stop feather chewing- help

saskabush40

My CAG started chewing his feathers a year ago. we went away on a vacation. Just before we returned he chewed off his tail. It eventually grew back. Another vacation- same thing, but a few wing feathers. Some feathers grew back. Last vacation- same thing, but he is destroying all his wing feathers and is ripping his down feathers up.

I initially went to the vet to rule out illness. As this seems to be a separation anxiety the complete battery of tests was not recommended. I have tried everything, aloe spray, extra toys, the perfect diet, etc. This time he seems almost beyond rehabilitation as he gets into a nervous state then attacks his feathers. He shows little interest in toys, etc.Some times he snaps out of it and returns to near normal behavior. Please note I have done everything to prevent this. Always introduced him since young age (he is almost 9) to new places, people food, etc. He has his own HD TV and can watch cartoons when we are away (he used to like this a lot). he gets plenty of rest and is loved and cared for.

I am at my end here. I have him since he was a baby and have owned greys for almost 30 years. I Cant stand to see him destroy himself and am worried i cant keep up the work to vacuum up all the feather bits 2 or 3 times a day.

any suggestions appreciated.

It sounds like he is stress plucking in reaction to your absense and it has become a habit so it is not much that can be done to prevent it but accept it. How do you react to his plucking? He could be picking up vibes that you are stressed out by this and that doesn't help, they are very intune to our emotions and feelings. Hopefully some of the other members will have some ideas and suggestions for you but it looks like you may have to accept him the way he is.

Three vacations in a year I can understand why your grey is having a little anxiety about you not returning. Perhaps a little more out of cage time for your grey that is one on one with you. Judy is correct our greys pick up on our stress so relax and try a little more personal time with your sweet companion.

It truly sounds as if the only solution is to take your grey with you on vacations. Is your grey close to anyone outside of your household that when you do go on vacation he may enjoy there company and perhaps be less stressed over your absence?

I agree with the advice. No doubt I'm stressed although I'm trying to keep things in check around the bird. I just cant stand to see him do this, so I am losing it a bit. He has only one flight feather left as of today down from 6 yesterday, so it is dangerous for him if he falls from his cage. I do hold him in the evenings and give him hand feeding of his favourite treats but so far he is only mildly less anxious than yesterday.

Something is setting your bird off. Concerning that plucking, you say that he lets them grow back and then pulls them out even though you've tried all sorts of things to help.

You should understand something about plucking---after the actual plucking, the next step is him letting the feathers grow in which can cause more trouble than the actual plucking. The feathers come back unevenly onto bare skin. Those new feathers, especially tail, fliht feathers can be painful for the bird because they're pinching and jabbing at different areas of that bald irritated skin. So, what does a bird do when that happens? he proceeds to pull out the new feathers that are pinching him. On and on it goes. This happens in very mild or major plucking situations. It's possible that your bird is a very acute, seasonal plucker who doesn't need very much to turn on itself. It's hard to give an explanation but there is something you can try. Many people here have tried it and it was successful. Aloe vera juice is good but it cab do just so much. THis other product gives a bird a protectant on the skin and basically soothes the skin and lessens the irritation of the skin. The only thing I can't tell you about is s/h to your country.

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

hi saskabush i understand your feeling :(

we have a Too that feather chewer and plucker as well,now she is better but she dsnt stop 100%.sometimes she chewed her feather too far and bleed.and same as yours,it because my dad went to vacation too long and she just cant take it.she love everybody in the house,but she just missed my dad.

mmm how do u react when he is doing it?

the baddest thing u can do is giving attention and show that you are ''worried'' too much.they understand that u worried when they chew their feathers so they will keep doing it(its a plus for them because they get attention and more love). when she do it,we always leave her alone and we stop interact with her at all.after awhile,she get the point.i dont live my parents anymore,but last time i saw her she was better and better. i dont say she will stop one day but at least we can control the amount of feather that she chewed.

i hope your bird will get better soon,i know how it hurts so much to see they destroying themself.i would not even show my face is sad when i clean up her feather.remember when u see he doing it,fastly leave the room.when u see him stop come again and give 200% of attention.hope this help.

Something is setting your bird off. Concerning that plucking, you say that he lets them grow back and then pulls them out even though you've tried all sorts of things to help.

You should understand something about plucking---after the actual plucking, the next step is him letting the feathers grow in which can cause more trouble than the actual plucking. The feathers come back unevenly onto bare skin. Those new feathers, especially tail, fliht feathers can be painful for the bird because they're pinching and jabbing at different areas of that bald irritated skin. So, what does a bird do when that happens? he proceeds to pull out the new feathers that are pinching him. On and on it goes. This happens in very mild or major plucking situations. It's possible that your bird is a very acute, seasonal plucker who doesn't need very much to turn on itself. It's hard to give an explanation but there is something you can try. Many people here have tried it and it was successful. Aloe vera juice is good but it cab do just so much. THis other product gives a bird a protectant on the skin and basically soothes the skin and lessens the irritation of the skin. The only thing I can't tell you about is s/h to your country.

Type in

AVITEC.COM

On the left, look for PLUCKING/SCREAMING---click on it

Third picture from left ( spray and jar in picture) click on it

there's 3 choices

1---premixed bottle

2--small jar, powder in it (8 oz)

3--large jar, powder in it (16 oz)

-------

Get either 8 oz or 16 oz jar with powder in it. Stay away from premixed bottle

1 rounded teaspoon powder to 8 oz room temp water in a sprayer. Heavily soak your bird down once a day. If any remains in the sprayer, use it on any other birds sitting around. Discard what remains at the end of the day.

This does work!!!

I want to thank everyone for the help this is making me feel better at least. I have really tried to be calm and not show my emotion and to spend time with him. Today was a better day so maybe we can turn a corner its hard though. I will follow up on the product. Btw. I had intended to get him a bird passport so he could come with us to florida but i am waiting on the USA passport. The whole process has taken 5 months so far but if we get it he will be with us in the winter and be a snow bird like the rest

the avitec stuff is very good. also try sterile hemp seeds if you can find them. they're a help as well. both our girls are pluckers and athena chews feathers as well. we do the haldol thing in their water, it helps them. i know others don't like the medical type treatments, but both girls were very close to starting to mutilate their skin (even with everything we could do to help with easing new feather growth discomfort), at least now there is no bright red, sore looking areas, and the down is being left on. we tried everything you've tried, toys/things to shred/improved diet/increased baths/etc!! i tried the aloe spray, but after one of those bathing sessions, kallie plucked even worse than before, and spent a lot of time mouthing the feathers (longer and in a totally different way than when she's playing with a feather she's lost during molt). i think she liked to taste, so now i'm afraid to use aloe on her again!

this is how i handle the girls plucking, it sounds weird, but its how i'm able to keep the stress away from them. athena plucks all the green feathers from her chest and belly, leaving the grey down. to me, she prefers to run around in her underwear, rather than her beautiful green shirt. sometimes it really looks like she's got on a pair of bright lime green shorts!! (i guess she's a little bit of a hillbilly bird, lol) kallie plucks at her neck and a bit on her belly so i figure she doesn't like to wear turtle necks and wants to show off her gorgeous cute belly. (she must be our fashionista bird, hahaha)

haldol is the name. its a medication from the avian vet and can be used for obsessive/compulsive type behavior like plucking. all physical issues were ruled out first. i was hesitant at first, asked lots and lots of questions, learned of any possible side effects and decided to try it. some folks do not like doing this, i completely understand. i'm not recommending you do this as this is up to each person to do or not do, just offering it as information of what we have tried to help our girls with their feather issues and the results we have seen. the 1st day or so, they were both a little bit "quiet", then back to their old silly crazy selves. the difference was they were able to resist the plucking urge better. neither one has the bright red, sore looking areas on their skin now, the down is filling in and feathers are starting to come back. so if this is something you want to try, research, discuss thoroughly with your avian vet and then you can make the best informed decision possible.

haldol is the name. its a medication from the avian vet and can be used for obsessive/compulsive type behavior like plucking. all physical issues were ruled out first. i was hesitant at first, asked lots and lots of questions, learned of any possible side effects and decided to try it. some folks do not like doing this, i completely understand. i'm not recommending you do this as this is up to each person to do or not do, just offering it as information of what we have tried to help our girls with their feather issues and the results we have seen. the 1st day or so, they were both a little bit "quiet", then back to their old silly crazy selves. the difference was they were able to resist the plucking urge better. neither one has the bright red, sore looking areas on their skin now, the down is filling in and feathers are starting to come back. so if this is something you want to try, research, discuss thoroughly with your avian vet and then you can make the best informed decision possible.

Heres a copy of a post i did on Haldon, be careful....Thanks Jay..

Thank you thenabird. The biggest problem is when you stop using it, we have had trouble in the past with Macaws and "TOO's. Hallucinations, rubbing their tongue on the inside of their beak etc. The biggest problem is dosage and any actual scientific study. We've had real good luck with Chamomile tea and Dave solution...To eliminate the reason, eliminates theb problem. Your Gryet parront's.... Thanks Jay

jay, i do wean them off the haldol and to date, have had no issues. of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future! thanks for the ideas of the tea. do you just make that their drinking water and how strong of dilute do you make it? any preferred brands??

jay, i do wean them off the haldol and to date, have had no issues. of course that doesn't mean it couldn't happen in the future! thanks for the ideas of the tea. do you just make that their drinking water and how strong of dilute do you make it? any preferred brands??

Thank you, you are a good "parront"! Like I stated before, please be careful, especially when it comes to human drugs being used on parrots. Haldol is famous for causing liver problems later on.

Hi, Maggie here... Try organic chamomile tea (that is what we use) and steep one bag of chamomile tea in one cup of water for 5 minutes. Then, I mix it 1 part tea to 4 parts water and I give it to them in the afternoon and when i change the cages at night, they get fresh water. You can mix it stronger until you achieve the calming effect. It can't hurt your bird. Thanks, Maggie and Jay

Has anyone tried Rescue Remedy? It was recommended to me to help with the anxiety.

Rescue Remedy is a holistic product. It is what's called an essential oil or an infusion which is sometimes applied or ingested or burned like incense. There are not too many people who practice this form of holistics. Dr. Edward Bach (deceased) is one of the original experimenters in this field. i haven't been able to figure out why he called himself a doctor since he only received a Bachelor's Degree in medicine, after which he became a bacteriologist and opened up shop to study and produce essential oils and infusions. Holistic use of herbs is far safer but still has to be researched onto what herbs are safe for our parrots. Chamomile is proven safe scientifically. In some cases music can work also and could be considered holistic LOL. Thanks Jay

I agree ... taking the bird on vacation is good. A harness will help so you can take your fid outside with you.

Last summer a lady and her husband had been trying to get their U2 (Lilly) to quit feather mutilation. It had actually chewed off 12 primaries and secondaries on each wing, effectively clipping itself. It was a reaction to having lost a Sun Conure buddy and then having the family go on vacation and leave the bird home with their college age kids who "had better things to do than play with the bird". The poor bird had nothing to keep it busy. They then could not keep the bird from mutilating.

In desperation, the previous owner, after a year of using vet prescribed tranquilizers on Lilly to stop the mutilation, bought Lilly a buddy. A Green Cheek Conure (Olive). That helped some, but not completely. Then about 6 months later, they gave both Lilly and Olive to me with cage. They said it was because they were moving to a smaller place. That may be true, but I think it was also because they had lost heart (or interest) or both. The change in environment seems to have done the trick. Lilly gets MUCH more attention now. I keep her and Olive at work. They live at the warehouse just outside of my office door where all of my co-workers can come by an talk with them on the way to the break room. Olive has bonded with me so strongly that I free flight her outdoors with no harness. I'm working on the same with Lilly. In order to get Lilly to fly again, we sedated her and pulled the mutilated primaries to force a molt, similar to what is done with racing pigeons when they break a flight feather. Otherwise it would have been a year before she got new feathers. She is SO proud of her new feathers, and is getting so much attention that she has left them alone so they could grow in and is learning to fly again. I always touch her feathers and tell her how beautiful they are and she opens her wings and is SO proud of them now. Fortunately, she was fully flighted for about two years before she started mutilating, so the neural pathways in her brain were well established and flight is coming back. She just has to unlearn the failures and crash landings she had while her flight feathers were damaged. That is hard ... but it is coming along. She also has to rebuild her muscle strength and get her cardiovascular in shape through flying further and further distance. We're working on that too. It helps to train outside where she has to relearn flight with crosswinds and up/down drafts. Her furthest flight to date has been about 40 yards (meters), but inside, she is flying all around my office and it is causing her to come out of her shell as she gains confidence again. She was very gregarious when fully flighted before she began mutilating. With flight, her personality is re-emerging. :)

• 1 month later...

A quick update. Lily is now flying :-) She definitely has a different mental tether than Olive does. Olive free flights around the guests at the Baby Cage at Hartman Aviary at the Saturday Open Houses. Lily can free fly, but stays out and away from me MUCH longer as she explores. I may have to keep her on the Aviator Harness when we go to parks. Otherwise it is about 2hrs of exploring before Lily is ready to come back and sit in my lap to get preened :-)

• 7 months later...

Update: Almost a year later. Our bird grew his feathers back by the fall. I had tried everything, vitamins, toys, etc, etc. I had lots of good advice and followed all that I could. So we didnt leave him and brought him south with us for the winter. That was a huge ordeal crossing the border and all, but we made it feathers in tact. All seemed to be going fairly well untill a week ago and he started chewing again. The only thing that had changed was a house guest that the bird really liked, came and left.

Now he is in the process of removing his tail and wing feathers bit by bit. Nothing I can do will stop him. He temporarily loses intrest in eating, playing or anything else and just chews. I am really disappointed, having done all this to no avail. Sprays, toys, or anything else is of no help. The bird was just a few days ago seemingly in great heatlth and happy.

Im near the end of my patience.

Thanks Jeff;

I am really starting to think this is a seasonal hormonal thing that has been triggered by a bit of separation anxiety. I cant rule out everything else but the way this has come on in the spring and then gone away seems to be following that type of pattern. He is also chewing his nails. I am worried hes going to bite them down to the area where blood is present soon. Il give the vet a call to see if there is anything we can do. (Haldol or hormone drugs)

At this stage sprays do not help. Toys offer only a minor distraction. we are trying to stay calm and keep him happy. Its too bad because he is mostly in good humour chirping and talking and playing, but its like he loses control and starts to shake his wings briefly twitches and then chews his feathers for a while. there are bits of feathers everywhere and he is looking so scruffy.