NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When can I handle her?

Ronda477

Ok I'm back ya'll lol. Sorry it's been a little bit since I posted a question. But I came up with one being it's closer to getting my little girl! When we pick her up at the air port, we will of course bring her home which will be a bit of a drive, but do I put her in the cage that we bought for her right away? Do I put her on the play top? Do I put her in the cage and leave the door open so she can come out if she wants to? Do I leave her in there and let her get used to her surroundings and than try to hold her? Can anyone help me on what steps I should take. I want to hold her sooooooooooo bad but don't want to scare her. I don't even have her yet lol. We won't get her probaby until the middle of Oct. But just got to thinking that I know I am soo anxious on holding her, so what do I do? Thank you!!!! Heart_9_23_2007_12_18_19_PM.JPG

Heart_9_23_2007_12_18_19_PM.JPG

Since she'll be in a car for a while, she'll be a little shell shocked going from a breeder to a journey to an airport to a distant drive in a car, it would be best to put her into the cage and let her relax and calm down and let her check out the cage and the accessories. You can talk to her but she'll need a some space and time to catch her own breath.

No, you shouldn't leave the door open for a few days. No, you shouldn't immediately put her on a playstand. She needs to thoroughly check out things from a safe distance while in a safe place ( cage ). Let her get used to your hands being around but no hugs or scratches for a few days. Taking her out of the cage will cause her to jump off your hand onto the floor since she won't know how to fly. After a few days, you can put your fingers near her until she gets used to them. Forcing yourself on her will only cause her to bite you and you don'y wanna start off on the wrong foot.

Basically, it'll be a few days before she starts to feel comfortable enough to interact with you and only in baby steps. There is no set amount of time in which this all happens so don't put any time limits on anything. Birds are individuals and they'll do things only when they're good and ready.

Dave

Dave has given you some excellent advice, your baby will be thru some ordeals that mine didn't have. I got mine from someone local so I was able to visit her occasionally and she only had a 45 minute ride home.

So I handled her immediately and she settled in quickly but they are individuals so let her tell you when she is ready for more interaction with you.

Everyone gives you good advice, however, I did things quite the opposite, when I picked up Talon from the airport. After 7 hours of her being in her little bird carrier to the airport, the 4 hour flight, holding time in the cargo area for about 1 hour, and having about a 90 minute ride home in the car. I brought her into the house and put her in my son's room on his bed while still in her carrier. I gave her about 20 minutes to settle in, and then we took her out and let her walk around on the bed. She wanted to be with us, as she was quite frightened, and I imagine shell shocked. We kept her in the room, tried to comfort her. She was only 8 1/2 weeks old. We took her over and slowly introduced her to her cage which was in the same room. Eventually after about 1 1/2 hours , we put her in her cage. We didn't wait to start handling her, she seemed to really want the human companionship. It did take a few days of teaching her to step up, but we worked on that, right away the next day. Because she was so young, she did cry a lot for her family for about 2 1/2 weeks. It was very sad, I spent a lot of time holding her in a blanket, and singing lullabies to her to help calm her.

So take your cues from your bird, and do the best you can. What is right for one bird, isn't necessarily right for another.

Talon is a very happy and content bird, and never bit until she reached the terrible twos. :pinch:

I agree, go with what your bird wants. When I got mine it was a 5-minute car ride from the breeder to my house, so not to much excitement went into his travel to his new home. I let him settle in for a little bit and then I took him out a little before it was time for his dinner feeding (he was 6 1/2 weeks & 3 feeding a day.) After his first meal I put him back in his tub and let his food settle, then it was back out with mommy. He had always been with his siblings and would cry and cry until I took him out and put him on my chest...then he would fall right asleep. I say, if he seems timid with you let him settle for a day or so to let him get used to you.

I agree with Talon, and her advice. I do disagree with the thought that birds differ at that age. Mt first instinct was to hold and hug that little doll, but I gave him some private time, and made sure I made him know I was there. I got him at 4 weeks old so caging him was out of the question. I never fed him before holding him for a while, while talking to him in a very low voice and running my hands all over his body. Spread his wings, held his feet and just handled him. I set up a playpen with a sheet on the floor and plenty of toys to play with. I closed the sheet in with boxes all around it to keep him closed in.

Ok I'm long winded but just keep him in the carrier because he will have the trauma a little longer. I would concentrate on when he gets home. I would put him in his cage and keep everyone out of his sight, except the people who live there. Keep family and friends AWAY for a few days. Add his food and water while he is seeing you doing it, so he knows you’re his source of food. You will want to take 100 photos but wait until he seems comfortable. Take a photo now, then another a little while latter, because of the flash.

Joe

Hemingway at 4 weeks

Hemingway_6-9-07_006_edited-1.jpg

Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/09/26 22:32<br><br>Post edited by: nevjoe, at: 2007/09/26 22:33

I think as the others have rightly said it is up to you personally & your bird.When i got mine i let them feel their way around, have a stretch, some cuddles & time out of their cage, i put mine in their cage To familiarize themselves with it, the layout of their perches & food bowls etc .. Im sure when you get your baby home you will do what feels right :)

Anything I said doesn't apply to birds that are still being hand fed. Of course they have to be handled in order to receive their formula. But a fully weaned bird has already gotten used to a certain place, a regular routine and is usually in the company of siblings and all of those things change all at one time when the bird is shipped off. My opinion is that parrots shouldn't be sold until they're fully weaned. I've never sold an unweaned grey to anyone no matter how much they wanted to take it home. It has to do with the *well* check that has to be done shortly after the bird is purchased. A vet can't check for ever single thing that's necessary because the bird is still unweaned.

Also, even though people here will disagree, I don't believe in shipping birds especially on airplanes.

She is fully weened she was hatched on 5/10 so she is now 20 weeks old. I have been very worried as well with the shipping but we live in WV and there are no breeders around here within driving distance. Actually none in WV period that we found. One in Ohio all the way up by Lake Erie but they didn't have any and that would still be a 5 hour drive. I will e-mail the breeder too and ask her what she thinks as well cause really she is the only one who really knows her. She has already told me that she steps up really well and she will let her touch her anywhere and hold out her wings and everything. Of course I know this will take time for her to trust me to do the same things but just wasn't sure on if I put her in her cage or what right away. I thank all of you for your advice. I'll let you know what the breeder says as well. But again there were'nt any choices for us around here. Like my mother-in-law said when she came to visit us for the first time, she thought god made this perfect place on top of the mountain and than forgot where he placed it lol. We are soo far from everything! Ok will let you know what she says. Thanks again!

Just to clarify, Talon was fully weaned, she was shipped by plane, as the closest breeder was very far away. Some members do live in states where there is are no Greys available, and the only way to purchase one, would be to have it shipped. It can be less travel time than by car.

Although it's not ideal conditions for them, birds are shipped all the time, and breeders that really care about their birds do so with the utmost care and concern. There are no lingering effects on them.

As I stated previously, I believe that handling them IF they are comforted by you is much better than putting them in a strange cage with strange toys, perches, in a strange home with strange people. Better to allow them some bonding time with you, so that they can learn right away, that they are safe with you, and then they will trust you somewhat when you put them into their new, strange home (cage).

I socialized Ceasar as soon as I got him home.. No sheltering in this house.. I invited EVERYONE over to see and handle Ceasar.. Today Ceasar amazes everyone that knows anything about African Greys.. I often get comments that his is so well behaved... I often go to Petco with Ceasar.. All the store employees come over and take turns handling Ceasar.. Ceasar couldn't be more happy.. So am I..

I'm not saying this it what everyone should do.. I'm only saying this is what I did... and it worked..<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/09/27 03:16

Talon wrote:

As I stated previously, I believe that handling them IF they are comforted by you is much better than putting them in a strange cage with strange toys, perches, in a strange home with strange people. Better to allow them some bonding time with you, so that they can learn right away, that they are safe with you, and then they will trust you somewhat when you put them into their new, strange home (cage).

The perfect statement Talon.

It is about how the Grey feels and what the Grey wants.

That first encounter and impression will determine how your Grey trusts and views you the rest of it's life.

Follow the Greys lead. :-)

After reading everyone's great advice, I guess I've realized that it's like bringing home a brand new baby! (human) Everyone has wonderful advice on what to expect, especially your mother and Grandmother, and all of it helps especially when you're a first time mom. Yet nothing beats that motherly instinct! :) Of course my heart says to hug her and squeeze her and kiss her and love her and hold her.... :) LOL When I brought my daughter's home, the house was full of friends and family, lots of noise. With my husband being the lead singer in a rock and roll band, my girls had to learn to sleep through the noise. Though our home is somewhat quieter now, I do want our Grey to be as socialized as possible! I'm with you! :)

Being that she's going to be shocked like others have said, I personally would just put her in her cage close the door and let her get used to surroundings. Even my Greys that I have when I first got them had a short car drive home and I still put them in their cage closed door so they could get used to everything. I would wan't them getting spooked by any of the new sounds and taking off flying and hurting themselves etc. congrats on the baby she's a cutie!

Ok here is what the breeder just sent me on what she thought I should do and it makes sense really. And at the same time just like most of you have said, follow her lead!

I would have her out of the cage. In her mind that will not be her cage or her toys and to be locked inside would be more stressful. just put her on top with toys and food and let her check out the place. Talk to her and pet her and then just take her lead. She should let you know what she is comfortable with.