NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

7 weeks and hasn't gained much weight since the previous week, concerned

Guest cneoryu

Guest cneoryu

Hello,

Arthur has just turned 7 weeks and hasn't gained much weight since the 6th week. He weighs 444g/15.66oz. However he is very active, very responsive, very playful and seems to have grown a lot stronger. He has learned to walk now and has been flapping his wings like he is trying to fly.

I am feeding him zupreem formula plus about 4 times a day (around 40-45 ml each time). In between meals, I am introducing him to solid foods like small bite sized boiled organic carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, bananas, apples, mangoes, and sweet corns. He seems to always be hungry even after his meals and keeps asking for more food.

Why doesn't it seem like Arthur's not gaining any weight? Is this normal or not?

Thanks

No problem! Our Greys, when they are fledging, go on a self-imposed diet, thinking that the lighter they are, the easier it will be to fly. This is all that it is. He is a good sized baby. Don't worry. Feed Arthur a little organic low sodium peanut butter. You can mix it right into his formula. A hand-fed Grey is like a Macaw and they need extra protein. He's going to try to drop one feeding on you, no problem. He could be 500 grams when he is a year old. Try smash, sweet potatoes (cooked) with organic peanut butter, organic baby applesauce or banana. This should be thicker than formula and served warm. You can feed him with a spoon or let him eat it out of the plate himself.

Let me preach a little if you don't mind...you could be aware of this; Abundant Feeding. A baby Grey can develop a phobia about a lack of food. In your case, with Arthur wanting to eat all the time, this is really important. In his cage or wherever you keep his food bowls, keep extra seeds (sunflower seeds are okay right now but no peanuts in the shell, period!!) extra pellets, lots of veggies and fresh food but always remember to remove after 2-3 hours depending on the temperature. Keep more food than he will ever be able to eat at a time. He will waste most of it but he will be very happy and well-adjusted. Final note: increase his formula to 50-60 ml per feeding. He will love the Peanut Butter. Thank you for joining this Greyt Forum. I am sorry I didn't get to you sooner. It is the weekend and always very quiet. Thank you, Jay