NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Questions from a newbie & prospective grey owner

Amit Gomes

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum & have been contemplating purchasing an african grey congo parrot. I want to make sure I am able to provide the right home & environment for the bird & not be one of those owners who has to re-home the poor bird just cause they did not think it thorugh before getting a parrot. I have been reading quite a bit about the congo & am trying to learn as much as I can before I purchase the bird.

I have a couple of questions as of now & it would be greyt if any of you would be able to help me out.

1. I have concerns regarding the amount of time I will be able to spend with my bird. To elaborate - I live with my wife & work a 9-5 job & I am usually away from home for about 11 hours in the day. My wife works shifts so there is a chance of her being home for a certain part of the time I am away. I have weekends off while my wife usually gets a 2 day off during the week. We are socially active but entertain friends at home most of the time with the occasional club/pub night once a month. This would mean that my bird would be alone for a minimum of 8 hrs for about 3-4 days a week. Is it healthy to leave a bird alone for this long? I have planned to provide a lot of enrichment toys for the bird while I am away & was thinking that I might be a good idea to have a radio on at a soft volume just so that the bird has some sounds to listen to. However I am still unsure. What do u guys think & what would you suggest I do to help the parrot cope up with the hours of being alone.

2. Sleeping habits - From what I have read & experienced with my previous indian green parrots, the birds tend to wake a lil aftr sunrise & do sleep once its around 8 pm. I also do know that greys need 12 hours of peaceful sleep. I currently do not have a separate room to dedicate just for my grey & would like to know if it is ok to cover the cage with a black cloth after dinner to create a night effect even if the lights are on in the room so that the bird can sleep peacefully. Also will the sound from the TV disturb the bird while it is asleep. Any suggestions to help with the sleeping habits of the grey would be welcome.

Apologies for such lengthy posts but I do tend to write out all the details so that my questions are as clear as possible.

Thanks

Edited by Amit Gomes

Well, it's always good to write out everything that's on your mind. Most people are very happy with that. It helps alot concerning answers. On this board you'll get a lot answers and suggestions concerning grey ownership.

First is to understand the grey mentality and needs.

They do need time out of the cage --as much as a person can give. Other birds can stay in a cage all day, every day but not a grey.

Hours---this isn't meant to insult you but I feel that your work hours plus your wife's work hours would hamper a grey from developing. They need a lot of interaction with people--at least 4 hrs a day. The whole family needs to interact with the bird because it's important that a grey become a family bird. They're well known to pick favorites and that's not good. There's not really anything a person can do to help a grey cope with lonliness. Also, with greys, plucking can be a problem. The slightest thing going wrong and plucking can occur. Greys are well known for plucking.

A radio--high or low volume won't do any good because a grey soon tunes it out as if it wasn't there. Toys won't do anything because greys get bored easily and require attention besides toys.

Then you have the attitude with a grey---a grey who's been left alone for a large part of the day all the time will become defensive and aggressive or very withdrawn. Greys are flock birds and need to be in a flock situation. You, hubby, children would be that flock.

As far as sleeping adjustments, that's easy to handle. Some people cover, others don't. The color means nothing. Some people have their grey within listening distance from a TV and others don't but the bird shouldn't be in the same room as the TV. People's movements, chatting etc will not let the grey have a sound sleep.

Then there's the Vet. You must be able to have contact with Avian Vets. They only treat birds. That's an absolute.

I feel that you should put more thought into getting a parrot who has a high intelligence rating. Greys are extremely complex and many new owners cant cope with those complexities.

Greys do need alot more than what you'll be able to give right now.

They also must be trained to become family birds.

Edited by Dave007

Hi Dave, Thanks for the prompt & insightful reply. No offense taken from your comments & I do respect the fact that you would definitely have more knowledge about the well being of the bird as well as the daily needs of such an intelligent creature.

I know I will be able to provide my grey atleast 1.5 hours on a work day out of the cage n atleast abt 2-3 hours of human interaction in total on a work day. On weekends I plan to keep the bird out of the cage for atleast 4-5 hours & include positive reinforcement training & enrichment exercises for its mental development. I thought this may suffice.

I have already made inquiries for Avian vets in my country & have found quite a few reliable vets in my city itself.

As I said in my earlier post I do not want to be one of those people who has to re-home the bird because it gets too difficult to handle or be the cause of an unhappy bird. I take ur advice positively & will consider purchasing a grey until only when I am sure that I will be able to provide it a healthy & enriching life.

I will still have questions though because I do want to keep learning about these wonderful birds & I hope to get such prompt & honest answers.

Thanks again.

I know I will be able to provide my grey atleast 1.5 hours on a work day out of the cage n atleast abt 2-3 hours of human interaction in total on a work day. On weekends I plan to keep the bird out of the cage for atleast 4-5 hours & include positive reinforcement training & enrichment exercises for its mental development. I thought this may suffice.

Well, that sounds better and more clearer than before but you'll still need a lot of knowledge to pick up. Many of the boards deal with that--Nursery, Grey Lounge, etc. Check out threads, read as much as you can. See the different opinions.

And most importantly, ask questions. The only stupid or bad questions are the ones that aren't mentioned

Edited by Dave007

Thanks again Dave. Just to clarify...Do u think that the time I have mentioned is sufficient for a CAG if such a routine is followed for say 90% of the year (excluding 10% for busy periods like the holiday season).

Also I just had a conversation with a friend who lives next door & has a bulldog. She is more than happy to spend time with the bird when we are not around at home but I am unsure if it is advisable as the bulldog may harm the bird. I've read that CAGs & dogs do develop an understanding of each other however this would be a dog who does not belong to me & will not spend that much time around the bird. what are your thoughts on that??

Another question: Since we do not live in our own country, we take short vacations of 2 weeks twice a year. Although I do have a lot of friends who are willing to take care of my bird would this be an advisable thing to do or should I re--think my holiday schedule if I do get a bird?

I am reading up as much as I can & even if I dont end up getting a CAG right away it will be really helpful for me in the future wen I do have more time & sufficient resources to take care of a bird.

I half wish there was a test that I could take after learning about these birds which could tell me if I was competent enough to take care of one :)

Whether the dog belongs to you or not, it's a very bad idea to have them together. Many people here have dogs and cats and other animals and will say that they don't trust the animals together. You can have another person come over to bird sit but the dog has to be left home. Actually, that also applies to other species of birds. A person may have a grey and an amazon but would have to take their time in finding out if the two birds will get along. Many people here will tell you that they need to keep their birds apart. Each gets it's own playtime AND that also applies to greys--a person may have 2 greys and it's not uncommon that the 2 birds will dislike each other intensely. That's why it's very important that greys have their own cage.

As far as your time schedule, a bird can get used to that as long as the time you're with the bird is totally devoted to the bird. Interaction, physical handling by both people, treat giving, time out of the cage. If it was me, I would wanna give more to the bird but there's loads of opinions. Mine shouldn't be the only one to go with.

I'll say it again---leave the dog out of the equation. There's no guarantees that the dog or bird will change it's attitude towards the other. Remember, NO GUARANTEE.

I half wish there was a test that I could take after learning about these

birds which could tell me if I was competent enough to take care of one :)

There is no test but only this, are you willing to do what it takes to give your grey what it needs to be happy and healthy, if not then a grey is not for you, maybe you should look at other types of birds that don't require as much time committment. Not to be against your desire to own one of these magnificent creatures but most of us that are grey owners do not take a lot of vacations especially long ones of two weeks or more mainly as that is not healthy for our birds for most of them will have to spend most of that time and maybe all inside a cage for the one taking care of our fids is not able to allow the bird out of cage time for they cannot handle it.

Another thing is you will not be spending a lot of time every day with your grey nor will he/she get a lot of out of cage time on a daily basis, you cannot make up on the weekend for what you lack during the week, not trying to sound cruel here but the facts are what they are. Basically a lot of us are homebodies meaning we stay at home most of the time, don't take long vacations and if we work we only work around 8 hours a day so we can spend quality time with our fids, thats the committment we made when we decided to bring them into our home so the question is are you willing to do what it takes or not.

But -- It does sound like he has the dedication to become a Greyt owner. If his wife has time to spend with the bird and if he has time to spend with the bird every day surely that speaks for something. Take me for example, I'm probably one of the younger people on here only being 22. I've dedicated so much time and research reading book after book and about every post in this forum and am 100% dedicated to committing to have a Grey for life. That said, I still have to work every day as well as finish up school. That doesn't mean I won't spend quality time with my Grey.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that someone should only get a Grey if they work from home or are home for most of the day. I've met plenty of people with full time jobs who have had greys for many years. Shortly, I'll be working a full time job, but I'll also be dedicated that as soon as I come home that my grey gets plenty of time outside of the cage and lots of mental stimulation and bonding.

Perhaps I'm missreading, but that's the vibe I'm getting. Surely one can have a job and 1 special pet :D. A lot of sacrifice has to be made and so maybe a couple schedule adjustments if you can. Just know what you're getting into and most importantly do tons and tons of research.

I highly recommend this book. In addition to this wonderful forum it's a really good book for all the basic knowledge you need to know and what you can expect!

http://www.amazon.com/African-Parrot-Handbook-Barrons-Handbooks/dp/0764141406/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1336940525&sr=8-4

I don't think it's necessarily fair to say that someone should only

get a Grey if they work from home or are home for most of the day.

That is not exactly what I said or meant, I for one work full time (8 hours) but I have plenty of time to spend with my grey, the person asking in this thread said he worked 11 hours a day and that doesn't leave much time for a grey being that most of us have other things we have to do when we get home. You being a grey owner know what I mean and that is if you are willing to do what it takes to give this bird what it needs to be healthy and happy then you do it, if you cannot make that time committment then you should think about other species of birds.

Thx Dave, Judy & Cheebamaster... some great advice & has given me a lot to think about...

Just to clarify, my desire to own a CAG isnt something that has just come out of the blue...I have been fond of parrots all my life & have taken care of 3 indian ringnecked parots before. I have been contemplating owning a grey for the better part of a year now & have been reading & researching about the bird for 2 months... I am totally aware of the amount of time I would need to give the bird & I know its a very long term commitment. Just thought I should say this out loud cos I dont want to be misunderstood for a person who has simply taken a fancy to CAGs & doesnt know what he is getting into...

I may not be able to give as much time as a lot of you manage to give your fids but I am confident of being able to give the grey whatever it needs to have a healthy life.

Dave - Dogs are definitely out. I read up more about CAGs being around other animals & u were right.

Judy - Points noted. I think you got me wrong, I work 8 hours a day as well however the commute to & from work & other chores do keep me away from home for another 2-3 hours & hence the total of 11 hours. This leaves me with atleast 5 hours of free time on a work day out of which I plan to dedicate atleast 1.5 hours of the time for direct interaction & training the bird & another 1.5 hours around the bird while i do basic house chores, eat dinner, watch tv etc

Cheebamaster - Thanks for being encouraging & reassuring. I am one of the young'uns too, well not exactly, 26 yrs of age doesnt qualify for young atleast by my standards :P & glad to know that people younger than me are taking care of greys as well. I will check out the book & purchase it shortly.

Once again thanks to evry1 for giving me so much information & spending time to answer my questions & offer advice....

Amit: I'm relatively new here myself, and before getting my Congo Grey I did a lot of research like you. Joining this forum was the best thing I did. You say that you are willing to whatever your prospective grey needs to be happy. I don't doubt that a bit. I''m sure you have read over and over that a grey needs a minimum of four hours out of cage time daily. That's minimum--not ideal. From what you have written, it seems you can arrange your schedule to provide 3 hours daily. Can you think how you get that extra hour every single day? You mentioned a neighbor coming over. Would that be every day? Can you take your bird to work? Just really try to find that minimum if at all possible.