NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feathers?

ariisamis

I use old pillows around the stand and cover with lots of paper, lol. We have tile floors so the hit is much harder than carpeted floors! ( of course my dogs use them as beds too so a good washable pillow protector is a must cuz the paper just doesn't stay in place! Body pillows work great, kinda like bumper pads )

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best thing for a bird w/balance problems is to make it as easy as possible for them to use their beak to get around. Boings, ladders, small spaced cargo nets are all helpful for this. Also if you read up on safe wood & sanitizing it, you can go cut branches w/lots & lots of ends. Don't have to worry about stripping them or anything because Whitney will like to strip the foliage & bark. Just so long as you don't mind picking up! lol

Normally, the best design for a cage is to allow for play space & wing room. W/this type of special needs bird, the less open space the better. Anchor branches in all directions, on all sides of the cage, all the way to the top. I mean a really, really lot. By the time you think it's too much, it will probably be just right. The more natural branches the more choices of foot holds & places to grab.

Once she starts to get around, she'll build strength & gain confidence & eventually stop falling as often. BUT you'll probably have a period where she thinks she can do more than she really can. So you'll need to be watching her even more closely until she works it out.

For cushioning around the floor you might hit the end of season clearances & look for some beach floats/air mattresses. WASH & AIR THEM OUT because of the fumes, though. Otherwise, they'd be good padding & you'd be able to wipe them off, too,

Also, I use the large size memory foam kitchen floor mats for the mess around my cages. I can dump the dry mess & tuck them back under the cage when the fids aren't out. They have a vinyl side so I can wipe off the wet mess & I can get them to go w/the decor, too. :rolleyes:

I find them on sale all the time. I think the first ones cost $1.68 @ Target on clearance. I splurged on the last ones because they were extra big. I spend $4.99. You might double/triple stack them around to help w/the padding. They'd be easy to cut & piece so they should do well on the bottom of the cage. Extra large dish dry mats, too. Might still put something over them though. I think they'd be great fun to pick apart & maybe not the best to let Whitney eat.

I'm also thinking you could start a new thread w/pics? Chronicle Whitney's progress, get feedback as you go, show off your innovations. It could be very helpful to others who are looking to accommodate a special needs fid, too. What do you think?

Edited by birdhouse

I was not trying to be rude at all, I'm just dealing with a lot of emotions regarding this situation.

Ahhh. No one on this board thought you were being rude. Trust me, we all felt your pain very deeply. We just express it in different ways and voices. Everyone on here is a bird/parrot lover.

Whatever your decision (sounds like you are leaning towards keeping Whitney)....hang in there, Sweetie!

Your doing what you think is bet, that's what counts...

My opinion, if I may is to treat your baby as a clipped wing parrot, [a young one un fledged] Put a couple of perches close to the bottom of the cage, put a soft washable towel on the bottom of the cage, one that won't snag toenails, make sure there is nothing under a perch so if your baby fell he wouldn't fall on another perch and break something. Put a food/water bowl at each perch for ease of access. As time goes one you can add bongs more perch's etc. Treat your baby as much as normal as you can, remember, a Grey needs not only physical but equal amounts of mental stimulation....Thanks Jayd

Edited by Jayd
spelling fell

I whole heartedly agree that you need to do what you are comfortable with, i will support you either way. These are just options and things i have found that work with my Gabby goo and the boys. Her wings still spread open so the balance will come for her, right now she is still just a baby finding her feet. I myself have never had a baby but i hear they are awkward as crap at first and that all babes need that little extra padding to start with. You do have a healthy bird minus the flight feathers though!

I kept meaning to mention also that my Bongo is fully flighted and has only flown when i make him. He is a walker!

Edited by murfchck

All due respect to Jay, but what are the chances that Whitney isn't going to head straight for the highest point on instinct? Then she's got problems trying to get down to the low perching vs being able to climb freely thru her cage whatever it's size.

Sundance officially became ancient when he got to where even he knew he couldn't get around the huge cage that he'd been in for half of forever. But they are nothing if not determined little beasties. Then he started falling off his perch in his sleep, too. Pretty scary for everyone. I had to admit what was happening. But I really didn't have the heart to downsize him into a strange cage, especially at that point. So I tried setting him up in his very own tree top roost & we all lived happily ever after.

Kura had big balance issues for completely different reasons. Part of it was blood chemistry. Part because she'd never had any cage or perch space to grow & develop. So you know as soon as she found herself in a bigger cage, she was all over it. And she just fell down over & over. I tried the same layout in her cage as Sundance's. She eventually learned where to put that big old ekkie body & got strong enough to look, well, as coordinated as an ekkie can. yeah, they're a little clumsy

They both got the chance to have lots of options to keep them moving, get exercise, find interesting things that of course they couldn't see from that other spot 6" away. lol I set the lowest perches barely higher than their head, where it was safe. But it left enough wide open space on the floor of the cage for them to do flight exercises somewhere they couldn't fall down (& Whitney does need whatever wing strength she can develop to help her balance).

I think handicapped critters instinctively want to do the same thing as any other critter but they're even more determined. That seems natural to me because they wouldn't survive in the wild if they didn't push harder to make up for whatever they lack. So that's why my instinct is to accommodate them wherever possible instead of creating more conflict by treating them like invalids if there's a choice.

But again, that's what's worked for me & why (...I think :confused: ). It will be interesting to see what works best for Whitney as she progresses.

Edited by birdhouse

I think Whitney will continue to climb to the top, seems she loves this inside and outside the cage! I am going to get pillows and put around the cage. I am also thinking of buying one of those large foam puzzles(for children) to put ontop of the grate and put a blanket ontop of that. I welcome all suggestions. It sure helps taking to other bird owners. I must say I was very pleased to hear the vet say that other than her wing she is healthy, a nice weight and a beautiful bird! I am going to try to post pictures and keep you guys posted on our progress. Noted "try" on posting pics, I'm still struggling with my IPAD,lol.

A very good friend in another state has found that her footless Greys she rescued enjoy using ramps she placed in their cages. She took welded wire wrapped with padding and then Vet wrap to seal so it is soft on their stubs and easy to grab when they loose balance, you can even bend it to make raised sides.. Perhaps this idea might come in handy along with the other suggestions, lots of ropes to grasp and cargo nets to hang on to as well.

Edited by Greywings

ariisamis... I would be interested in adopting your bird. I live in Rochester, NY. Is it a possibility? Nancy

Thank you, however I have decided to keep Whitney. We have boned, and I believe that with help I can continue to provide her with a good home. I love my lil girl, and just need to educate myself more on her care. Thank you for having a kind heart.

• Haha 1

I think you will find you have made the best decision and a year from now she will be getting around and hanging with the best of them, she is lucky to have you and you will wonder how you could ever had even considered not keeping her. There are some older threads here with some information about handicapped greys for we do have some members who have adopted them and the one thing they all comment on is they learn how to get around like they had no handicap so Whitney's time is coming.

arlisamis... I am SOOO happy for you! A grey, that can fly, or can't, is really no big deal. I suspect your bird will fly, like a clipped bird.Sophie, doesnt fly well. She prefers to walk, but can fly, if she needs too! She is the ruler of our animal flock, including our dogs. Flight, is not important to me, or her. Her intelligence is amazing! She rules over two other birds, and two dogs. I can't imagine life without Sophie. Nancy

Thank you, however I have decided to keep Whitney. We have boned, and I believe that with help I can continue to provide her with a good home. I love my lil girl, and just need to educate myself more on her care. Thank you for having a kind heart.

Whitney is lucky to have found you. :) Judy is right. In a year or so from now you'll be saying "Huh? What wing problem?? She's perfect!"

• Haha 1

AriIsaMis, It took a tremendous amount of courage to lay out your concerns and thoughts. I admire that you have been able to work through your fears and concerns for Whitney and find a calm within yourself that is determined to give this a go. It does hurt when you see someone you love struggling and the time will come when Whitney gets her balance worked out. Enjoy her cuddles mama, she is in good hands.

Ariisamis... I have three birds. Kiki our Amazon, can fly like crazy. Sunny, our sunconure, can fly if he wants too. Sophie, my grey, can't fly all that well. She can fly, but sucks at it. Sophie, is my favorite!( i'm sure, many know this!)

my question is... why do people want their birds to be able to fly? Why is it so important? I'll take Sophie, anyway I can get her, because she is my best friend. Whats more important to me, is having a bird room, where they can practice flying, to the best of their ability. Its more important to me, to NOT close their cage, and NOT dictate when they can fly, or not! I accept them, whatever they can do.

What I don't accept, is getting attacked that your bird, will never fly, because he is missing a bone. They can compensate. Noone knows. Time will tell. Just continue to be encouraging. Nancy