NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

I am worried

Joe Bachi

Hi, welcome to the forum and thank you for posting. To start with I suggest to mist him using a spray bottle and cool purified water. If you can get aloe vera juice from a pharmacy or health store (it is liquid, not a gel, it's just aloe vera, water and maybe a little lemon or citrus) It is better to buy it pre-made then to try to make it yourself. Mist him daily with water and then with aloe juice. Then you need to make an appointment with an avian vet to find out if it is a medical condition. Even if it is a medical condition, the bathing and aloe will not hurt him. It is 12 midnight here...most members are asleep lol but I am sure that you will have many responses. Dave007 is our expert on plucking.

Please let us know your Grey's age and has anything changed with his diet or cage? Is it hotter or cooler, air conditioning or heater? Thanks, Jay

I live in Lebanon and summer is just starting here, the only change that may have caused this problem should be the hot weather, aside from that I am leaving his cage open all day now to encourage him to come out since I am now home all day.

As for his age, I am not sure but definitely around three years old

Thank you for your response

Joe

Thank you, Don't laugh but do you have a Walmart store there? They carry aloe vera juice. For now, do the bathing, try to keep him cool in the 78 to 80 degrees Fahrenheit. What you want to do is to keep him busy or occupy him so he won't think about plucking. New toys? Keep him out of drafts but it doesn't hurt to spray him with cool water whether he likes it or not. Thanks, Jay

His beak has been like this ever since I got him, and no we don't have a Walmart here though I can check the pharmacy.

I usually trim his nails but I never thought that his beak needed trimming :/ (That's gonna be hell for both of us)

Thanks

Joe

Thank you so much. You need to have your baby checked by a Avian Vet for medical reasons. Use the spray and aloe juice daily (not aloe gel, it is too thick and gooey). Please, when you take your baby to the vet, have the beak checked. Thanks, Jay (I'm going to bed now, talk to you later lol)

I scheduled an appointment with the vet on Monday, but getting Mikko out of his cage and into his travel cage will be a big problem (He never comes out of his cage :/ ) so basically I'm going to go by myself and talk to the vet in order to figure out what's wrong with him (that's what he suggested), though he thinks it's just stress

Wish me luck and hope Mikko gets well soon :(

Regards

Joe

I ask, because most greys that get extensive daily training have been known to be pluckers. I personally feel that a training regimen is stressful to a grey. I have seen many a plucker, and when asked, many of them are worked with alot on training...just my experience and opinion, I am sure others will argue this fact, but it should be looked into more. Although there is no SCIENTIFIC evidence to prove my theory, there SHOULD be...as I have seen it too much.

I ask, because most greys that get extensive daily training have been known to be pluckers. I personally feel that a training regimen is stressful to a grey. I have seen many a plucker, and when asked, many of them are worked with alot on training...just my experience and opinion, I am sure others will argue this fact, but it should be looked into more. Although there is no SCIENTIFIC evidence to prove my theory, there SHOULD be...as I have seen it too much.

I won't argue with what you said because it's true. Some greys take to heavy duty rigerous training with no problems. Others don't. The reason is that personalities of birds aren't taken into consideration. It's a matter of what a bird will accept and if too much pressure is put on them, a very easy relaxer to calm down the bird is to pluck. It's only one of a load of situations that can lead to plucking. The same thing applies to many TOOs except that with them, it's worse than greys.

Ok, so I won't train him daily but you should know that by training I mean practicing the step up for 10 mins in his cage and I usually stop when he stops responding or gets a bit distracted and I always end training by giving him treats and praising him :/ (never thought that it would be a problem)

Thank you for your replies

Regards

Joe

Guys, I noticed something today while examining his plucked feathers: none of them were removed from the root, it's as if he is breaking them with his beak as opposed to actually plucking them here is photo:

IMG_1923.jpg

So am I right or is this how plucking usually looks like?

I'm starting to think that maybe he's just itchy (maybe he has mites) since he is so calm during the day and even when he plucks he'll still respond to me (he doesn't look mad), but I'm not that experienced so what do u think?

Thank you

Joe

Ok, so I won't train him daily but you should know that by training I mean practicing the step up for 10 mins in his cage and I usually stop when he stops responding or gets a bit distracted and I always end training by giving him treats and praising him :/ (never thought that it would be a problem)

Thank you for your replies

Regards

Joe

No one said that you shouldn't train him--it was clearly said that some birds like it and others don't and what the possible results are when they're overworked. Another thing is stating what you mean by training. People can only guess what you're talking about if you're not specific. Stepping up can be done all day long--2 minutes here, 3 minutes there, 5 minutes at another time etc.

10 min is a long time for practicing step up. I have never had to spend time training my birds to step up, it happens naturally through out the day when we interact and move to different places in the house. They all will step up when asked.

He is definitely breaking them off for there is no end shaft left, I would recommend the aloe vera juice baths and that vet visit to see if there is any physical reason, I see you have scheduled one for Monday so please let us know what you find out.

Well there are good news and bad news:

Good news:

Mikko has stopped plucking his wings

Bad news:

_________

He stopped because there are almost no more feathers on them and apparently he has started plucking his back

Good news:

Now I don't have to go through the dilemma of whether or not I should have him clipped

Bad news:

_________

He's not doing a good clipping job

Good news:

I am now sure that Mikko's beak is still strong and healthy

Bad news:

_________

I know that because he's been chewing his wooden perches (which took some time for me to make)

(I'm sorry but at this stage dark humor is the only way for me to stay a bit positive and not over-stress which could make things worse )

Regards

Joe

Edited by Joe Bachi

Actually, the wood chewing could be a positive thing. If he likes chewing wood, take advantage of it and give him lots of options. Make sure the wood is bird-safe, and then make some toys. Start out with smaller ones, since he seems to have a problem with nerves you don't want to further stress him out with huge new toys. Look in the toys room here for toy making ideas. After all, if he's chewing wood he isn't plucking feathers. Big hugs to you both from Dorian and I. you'll be ok.

Actually, the wood chewing could be a positive thing. If he likes chewing wood, take advantage of it and give him lots of options. Make sure the wood is bird-safe, and then make some toys. Start out with smaller ones, since he seems to have a problem with nerves you don't want to further stress him out with huge new toys. Look in the toys room here for toy making ideas. After all, if he's chewing wood he isn't plucking feathers. Big hugs to you both from Dorian and I. you'll be ok.

Thank you for the advice, I was actually planning on doing this and I do hope that he will get well soon :)

Hmm, don't know much about mites, maybe Dave, Ray or Jay will be here soon to help. DEFINATELY encourage the wood chewing, they really have a need to do that and it may help with his recent behaviour changes. Keep us posted, we care and understand how frustrating this can be, but hopefully soon you will figure it out with help from others.