NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

my gray parrot foot problem...

rahvar77

Dear friends

sorry for my bad English!

I have a African gray parrot since two month ago. she is about 15 months old. she has some problem in her foot. no other problem .fortunately no inflammation presents. i have bought her about two month later and so i have no past history. she looks well. as shown in attached photos she lay down in her cage and scratch the food reservior by her nail! i think she has finger itching (may be!!!)

no feather damage. no irritation presents. no other sore or discharge or wound presents except for finger! no anorexia. the lesion seems to be circumferential and scales are absent on it. a see no band in leg. a have start local nystatin but no significant improve seen! now i use AVIPOM (malation 1%+ salicilic acid 1%) for mite treatment...

i will be thankful if you help me, because we have no bird veterinarian in our location. i wait for hear about you... do you enroll any similar problem in your bird?

1335372204.jpg

01052012046.jpg

DSC06975.jpg

28042012032.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

If you can find some aloe vera jel, it usually comes in a tube or bottle and is usually found in the pharmacy section, that would be good to put on that irritation, it would soothe the area and if she happened to ingest a little it won't hurt her. She really needs to be seen by an avian vet, I don't know what country you live in but if you have to travel some ways to get to one you should at least find the closest one available. Also that cage does not look very big to me, a grey should have a bigger cage, maybe that is what she is trying to tell you with her scratching.

Judy knows what shes talking about, you can also rinse with Hydrogen peroxide mixed with water 10 parts water to 1 part Hydrogen peroxide [10oz water, 1 oz peroxide] then rinse with water again and apply the aloe gel. If you fear infection, use Neosporin cream, [not ointment] You can always count on what Judy advises.....

Why not the ointment Jay? I never use it so I don't know much about it except that the ointment is petroleum jelly based and thick vs the cream that is much thinner.

You answered this one yourself, good job, petroleum jelly and other ingredients is the problem, Cream is water based, and doesn't last as long, as such is safer for our parrots, you use very little...Thanks Wingy...Jay

You answered this one yourself, good job, petroleum jelly and other ingredients is the problem, Cream is water based, and doesn't last as long, as such is safer for our parrots, you use very little...Thanks Wingy...Jay

Thanks Jay. I'll see if I can't find a sample pack of the cream to have on hand just in case.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I checked salicylic acid Do not apply to raw or irritated skin. From this it sounds like he had a raw open spot and now the malathion and salicylic acid burned or irritated it. This would be called a chemical burn and should be rinsed a couple times a day and if you can't find an antibiotic cream like Neosporin, then use Aloe Vera gel once or twice a day. It is very important to rinse and dry well.Salicylic Acid is used for acne and it dries and removes layers of skin in the process. If your bird's foot had a sore or irritation as it looks like, it looks like this acid could keep the wound irritated, not allowing it to heal. This is just my opinion. I am not a vet. Thanks, Jay

Hi,

Please don't think I am off my rocker here. I am a retired medic, and I am wondering a few things. Are the affected areas warm and tender to the touch? Are there any lesions/abrasions that have caused this condition? From the pictures, it looks like it is more internal. Could this be Gout or some other arthritic condition? Do you feed your bird a lot of grapes or foods high in purines? The skin appears to be "rubbed off" in these areas? Was it like that before any inflammation?

I am not a vet, an am unfamiliar with veterinary medicine, but lesions, abrasions, and infections, are usually pretty standard in appearance. I like the idea of aloe vera if it is some sort of irritation, but I would say that a petroleum product on an open wound of any kind is a bad idea, because it traps bacteria, therefore should not be used on irritations, burns or rashes. (http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/a/Is-Petroleum-Jelly-Safe.htm)

I would also think that a trip to the vet would be a good idea. There may be some underlying problem that you can't see.

good luck!

Edited by bran

Hi,

Please don't think I am off my rocker here. I am a retired medic, and I am wondering a few things. Are the affected areas warm and tender to the touch? Are there any lesions/abrasions that have caused this condition? From the pictures, it looks like it is more internal. Could this be Gout or some other arthritic condition? Do you feed your bird a lot of grapes or foods high in purines? The skin appears to be "rubbed off" in these areas? Was it like that before any inflammation?

I am not a vet, an am unfamiliar with veterinary medicine, but lesions, abrasions, and infections, are usually pretty standard in appearance. I like the idea of aloe vera if it is some sort of irritation, but I would say that a petroleum product on an open wound of any kind is a bad idea, because it traps bacteria, therefore should not be used on irritations, burns or rashes. (http://multiculturalbeauty.about.com/od/Skincare/a/Is-Petroleum-Jelly-Safe.htm)

I would also think that a trip to the vet would be a good idea. There may be some underlying problem that you can't see.

good luck!

Dear Bran

thank you. fortunately there was no irritation ,discharge and so the like. no visible problem other than foot lesion were seen! I am an internist but there is no sign of inflammatory arthritis! i use natural fresh aloe vera and no petroleum based ointments!

thank you for your useful link.

Thank you Bran. On parrots, we use water based creams instead of ointments such as Neosporin Cream. Your thread is very good. Again, thank you. Unfortunately, in the part of the world that rahvar77 and a few of our other members live, avian veterinarians are next to impossible to find so a person's course of action in some cases is a best-guess scenario. Thank you all so much. Jayd

Dear Bran

thank you. fortunately there was no irritation ,discharge and so the like. no visible problem other than foot lesion were seen! I am an internist but there is no sign of inflammatory arthritis! i use natural fresh aloe vera and no petroleum based ointments!

thank you for your useful link.

Okay, great information, thank you for being thorough! Since you are already using aloe, maybe try and add Vitamin E to your little mixture. This will add in the healing properties of your salve, and Vitamin E is just amazing. Just make sure it's 100% Vitamin E oil, and hasn't had anything added. Also you could try Wheat Germ Oil as well, it has done magic on some of my animals wounds!

Also I was looking, you could try this website ASK A VET

they could probably give you a better idea of what else you could do without a local avian vet.

I hope this helps.

Edited by bran

• 3 months later...