NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Citron Crested Cockatoo

Amali

Well - the thought of adding another bird has started creeping up on me, and surprisingly enough, my non-birdloving husband agrees as long as I don't bring home a species that will blast his eardrums. :P

The breeder where I got Amali also breeds Citron Crested Cockatoos that I found absolutely adorable when I was at his place so I've been doing some reading up on them. Everything I have read indicates they are the quietest of the cockatoos and make wonderful pets, but I know that sometimes all the reading in the world doesn't compare to hearing first hand stories from those who have experience with the bird. Do any of you have - or have had - a Citron? Anyone with experience around one that might give me some input?

I'm in no rush - though new baby syndrome is so much fun - and want to make the right decision for our family.

I don't know if the citron too is the quietest of them but all cockatoos can be loud, much more so than a lot of the other species of birds except maybe for the macaws, I would do a lot of research before deciding to add one of these to your household especially if your hubby is a non bird person.

Its good that you are checking into this so you won`t be sorry later.

I had a chance to get a too once, but after a visit I passed on the chance because of the noise.

I do not know about the Citron so I can`t help you on that.

I do know that a grey is a quiet parrot and a amazon makes a lot of noise. Well I think there was a mix up at birth because my grey can out do my zon when it comes to noise.

You just never know.

I understand that, Ray! I think it is all about different kinds of noise too. Amali can make noise with the best of them - especially when she is trying to mimic the shriek of my 7 year old daughter! Ha! But the mimicking and household noises are much easier on the ears than an all out ear splitting shriek. ;)

I love 'TOO's, all of them, but some put macaws to shame.. A "TOO greets each morning and sunset with a bright I love you hello, some louder than others, and when they want attention, they let you know loudly. A Citron is like a sulpher-crested, a Ducorp's can be some what fussy, a Bare-eye is a good choice. No "TOO is hard to care fore, just give them love and attention. A Mealy Amazon might be a good choice.

Thanks Jay

http://www.avianweb.com/citroncockatoo.html

Edited by Jayd

Thanks for the input, Jay. I will look into a Mealy Amazon more - an initial search didn't bring up many breeders! :( A Pionus was also suggested to me. I will continue to search until I'm sure we've found the right bird for us ... no rush!

The poicephalus group is considered relatively quiet as well. I read that Cape Parrots are as cuddly as cockatoos and as smart as greys without being noisy. Jardines are gorgeous and amazon like in their activity level. I've also heard pionus are wonderful birds, but very laid back. Have you thought about Eclectus? Eclectus are also considered somewhat quiet and they are stunning to look at.

There is a lot of great advise and suggestions posted here from our "greyt" members. There are a lot of intelligent parrots (almost every one of them) but our Grey holds the honor of being the most intelligent, thanks to Alex and the continuing research that is going on.

I appreciate all the input :) We are doing our research and won't rush a decision. So far I've only found one Mealy Amazon breeder - reading more about them has sparked an interest :) Also looking into Pionus like Jeff mentioned. Amali's breeder does also breed Cape parrots so will read further!

All parrots usually greet the sun and dusk, a captive Mealy Zon is far more quiet then one in the wild or keep in a aviary environment. Again, it's how you handle the situation. You would never know we have 2 'TOO'S...As a side note: Greywings always has and gives Greyt advice......

Thanks for the compliment but we did have a Mealy Zon and we had to find him a new home due to hearing damage on hubby. We do live with 2 Too's so it gets loud here as well flock call times but the Mealy had a more painful vocalizations.

Thanks for the compliment but we did have a Mealy Zon and we had to find him a new home due to hearing damage on hubby. We do live with 2 Too's so it gets loud here as well flock call times but the Mealy had a more painful vocalizations.

I'm so sorry. I didn't mean anything against your post or that you were wrong in any way. That's why I made sure to say "captive environment" and "non-aviary" environment. As you know, I don't post anything unless it can be researched or from personal experience and research. As we've all said, there's exceptions to every rule. The Mealy's that I've had after a while, their wild calls were reduced in volume. These were rescues. Once again, I'm so sorry. I've always respected your opinion and I always will, even if I disagree with it. I feel that there is a competition going on now and a good job of discrediting me has been done by some of the members, (not you). I don't even know why I post anymore. Thank you and once again, my apologies if I offended you. Sincerely, Jay

I've had varying responses to this question about the Citron on another forum as well. I fully understand how things can vary from bird to bird but it amazes me how people can make judgements on others when they are truly doing their research and trying to make an informed decision. I'm not saying that happened here by any means but it is definitely cause to acknowledge that sometimes the Internet is a diffucult place to communicate and one paragraph of text is easily read multiple ways. Because of this, we should all always be slow to judge and quick to listen - make sure you fully understand what someone's message is before being rude or argumentative. :)

I am still doing my research and at this moment, have no idea what our second bird will be. We will figure it out when the time is right :)

Amali, when you see the parrot of your dream, your heart will cry out to you...To of my personal favorite are, Green-cheek conure and Half-moon conure, Their small and loving, this is just my opinion...There are so many wonderful parrots to choose from, we only know which one is right for us when we experance it first hand....

http://www.avianweb.com/greencheekconure.html

Here's a trusted site, pick a bird[lol] http://www.avianweb.com/parrotspecies.htm

I had a good conversation with a breeder in Austin today. He has several Galahs and he feels they may make a good choice for our family. I'm hoping I can find a day to go visit soon - like you said, I will know if it is the right one after I see it. :) This breeder also has lilac crowns though their eggs were infertile this last clutch.

Another good choice, they are wonderful parrots. All parrots greet the morning with an enthusiastic "I'm alive!!!" and they also say good night to the sun when it goes down. Some are more enthusiastic than others. A special trait of Zon's and 'TOO's is if they feel they are not getting enough attention, they will use their well-developed lungs to let you know it. LOL. 'TOO's are more demanding in needing attention and affection than other parrots like Zons and Greys. Sometimes to the point of being obsessive. We have two 'TOO's and wouldn't give them up for anything. We also raised an Umbee and a Ledbetter and would have never traded that for the world. I have a hunch that a 'TOO will be your choice. Please remember, by getting a fledged baby, you do have some control over how loud they are. Good luck. You're on the right track.

Thanks, Jay

P. S. The 'TOO that I think you ought to get is a Red Palm, this has always been my dream to someday have one.

http://www.avianweb.com/palmcockatoos.html

http://www.avianweb.com/galahcockatoos.html

I had a very encouraging post from a lady on another board, and Jay, many of your comments mirror hers. Cockatoos can be more needy, but a lot of the issues you hear about with them seem to be people created. If you treat the bird like a human baby, it will not develop its sense of independence and is more likely to have behavioral issues. If you raise and train with firm rules and expectations, you can avoid screaming and plucking issues - or at least reduce chances of them. I am really excited to go see the two Galah males that the breeder has. Each are approximately 35-45 days from weaning. Once weaned, this breeder keeps them an additional 7-10 days to ensure no regression. I'm also told the Galah is a lot more social than many Too species which will thrill my daughters. Both interact with Amali, give her scritches and treats, but neither can handle Amali the same way I can. Amali picked me when I went to choose my bird from the breeder and she meant serious business. :) My hope is that my next bird will also choose us rather than the other way around.