NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Won't settle down

jla

This is night two of my baby being home. He is 5 months old and still really nervous. About 20mins ago he starting going crazy in his cage, climbing all over the place jumping from one perch to another, and biting the bars like he was trying to escape. I know he is prolly just nervous since it is his second night, but it sounded like he was going to break his beak. After that, I decided to cover him for the night. Anyone experience that before?

Your doing Greyt, Play some music, cover the cage, don't make to much of a fuss right now.Keep a lot of seed and pellet/water in the cage. Make sure he gets 10hr's of quiet sleep time, when you walk by him talk, try whistling. Be patient and calm, Greys don't like loud noiseor excitement....Thanks Jay

Take note if this happens at a certain time. It could be your birds way of telling you to turn out the lights. If you notice a pattern to this behavior try and start a bed time routine "before" the skittering around starts. Some members offer a bed time snack, others tuck their companions in and say sweet words. To cover or not to cover is your choice. Some birds like it and some don't.

I know if Dorian is up late (usually my fault) he goes into what I call tired birdy mode. Gets really hyper, attacking toys, climbing around his cage like crazy. We have got a bedtime routine established, so all I have to do is ask him if he wants nite-nite scratches and he comes right down to me. My guess is your baby is a little over stimulated with all the new things happening. Like Jayd and Wingy said, start establishing a wind-down bedtime routine, and make sure your baby gets 10-12 hours quiet and dark sleep time. Maybe ask your breeder what the bedtime routine was. Let us know how it's going.

He must have been over-tired. I now put him to bed on a schedule and it seems to be doing the trick. I cover him with a blanket and he starts to settle right down. If he stays up too late he too gets into "tired birdy mode" lol