NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My amazon's feet are cold!

I was just curious if any other zon's in this group have cold feet. Kiwi's feet are cool to the touch. Not freezing but my grey has neutral or warm feet. I know foot necrosis is a concern with amazons but didn't know if this is why. Maybe poor blood circulation in the species? Other than that he's perfect!! I just wanted to ask!

Hi, I wouldn't worry too much about your baby's feet. A sick bird should be kept in a room with a temperature around 78 to 80 degrees. An ideal parrot room temperature should be 72 to 76 degrees. These temperatures winter, spring and fall are cool to us humans. But so to a parrot. The main concern with any parrots is drafts, chills and rapid rise/fall in temperatures. A parrot's body heat is regulated by their feathers. When it is warm to hot, they hold their wings away from their bodies to cool down. If they are cold, they scrunch down and get the most feather area that they can. If all else appears okay, I wouldn't worry about the feet temperature unless they are extremely cold and you see other signs of distress. Heated perches sound nice and appear to be a good idea. The problem is, it is like setting your bird on a hot plate. It heats their feet first and then works its way into their body like a conduit. You don't want him dancing around going Hot,Hot,Hot,Hot,Hot!. LOL...During the daytime, your UV light at approximately 14 to 16" away from his perch will keep the daytime air chill-less and a cage cover at night will keep the air chill-less. Most parrots, including Zons can adapt and acclimate to a wide range of temps from quite chilly to quite warm. Again, the main concern, a rapid drop in temperature will cause a parrot to be chilled. Thank you, Jay